Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Acasta / Acasto, 1797
Type: 5th Rate ; Armament 40
Launched Wells's Yard, Rotherhithe : 1797 ; Disposal date or year : 1821

* alternative spelling often used in the newspapers, although the books generally use Acasta.

1 May 1798 captured the Spanish privateer St. Mary, 4 guns, 28 men, on the Jamaica station.

12 May 1798 captured the Spanish privateer St. Antonia (pierced for 14 guns), on the Jamaica station.

May 1798 the Acasta and Ceres captured the French privateer St. Mary de Louvaine on the Jamaica station,.

May 1798 captured the French privateer Hirondelle on the Jamaica station.

May 1798 captured the French privateer 2 vessels, Name unknown on the Jamaica station.

Between Jun 1798 and Feb 1799 burnt the French privateer Name unknown on the Jamaica station.

Jun 1798 captured the French privateer Actif on the Jamaica station.

30 Jun 1798 captured the French privateer Trompe in the West Indies.

2 Jul 1798 burnt the Spanish privateer St Josef de Victoire (pierced for 16 guns), 8 guns, 50 men six leagues to windward of St Juan.

13 Jul 1798 captured the Spanish privateer St Michael Acandoa, 6 guns, 28 men on the Jamaica station.

Between Jun 1798 and 10 Feb 1799 captured the Spanish privateer Cincinnatus, armed schooner, 2 guns, 32 men, on the Jamaica station.

20 Oct 1798, with the Trent, cruizing of Porto Cavello.

1 Jan 1799 on the Jamaica Station.

27 Oct 1799 22 Jul – 27 Oct 1799 the Acasta captured 1 merchant vessel in the West Indies.

Jan or Feb 1800 sunk the French privateer Victoire under the batteries of Aquador on the West Indies station.

11 Nov 1800 at Jamaica the Acasta, Capt Fellows, when the packet Lady Hobart arrived.

Circa 17 Mar 1801 arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica, the Calypso, Apollo, Lowestoffe, and Acasta with a Spanish prize.

Circa 15 Sep 1801 the merchant vessel Abigail, Bradley, arrived at Liverpool from Jamaica, with news of the loss of the Lowestoffe on 11 Aug 1801. She had joined the convoy for England, which consisted of about 100 sail, on the 28 Jul, off Port Antonio, and at eight o'clock that evening made sail under convoy of the Lowestoffe and Acasta frigates, Bonetta sloop of war, and Musquito / Musketo and Sting schooners. On the 11th of August, at five o'clock in the morning, saw the Lowesfoffe on shore, with her masts gone, and bilged, on the N.E. end of Heneager ; also four ships and one brig ; only twenty vessels then in sight. the Acasta frigate and Bonetta sloop lying to. At five o'clock in the evening, the Acasta took charge of the ships then in company, and left the Bonetta, and her three boats, to assist the vessels on shore. On 7 Sep, the Abigail parted with the fleet in a gale from the N.W. in lat. 43. 49. long. 39. 6. and arrived at Liverpool on Tuesday last.

22 Sep 1801 passed by Spithead the convoy from Jamaica under the command of the Acasta, bound for the Downs.

28 Sep 1801 arrived in the Downs with a small part of her original convoy.

30 Sep 1801 departed the Downs for Spithead.

2 Oct 1801 arrived Spithead and came into Portsmouth harbour.

18 Nov 1801 went out of Portsmouth harbour to Spithead.

4 Jan 1802 a Court Martial was held on board the Gladiator, in Portsmouth harbour, on Thomas Drokin, a marine, belonging to HM ship Acasta, for throwing a glass bottle at his Corporal, using mutinous expressions, and behaving in other respects disorderly. The charges being fully established, he was sentenced to be hung ; and he has been accordingly executed on board of the Acasta, at Spithead on the 10th inst.

Circa 24 Apr 1802 Captain J. A. Wood to the Acasta frigate, vice Fellowes.

2 May 1802 departed Spithead with discharged seamen for Malta, Sicily, and Naples

15 May 1802 arrived Gibraltar.

16 May 1802 was due to depart Gibraltar with the Dreadnought and Dragon for Malta, to embark troops.

8 Jul 1802 arrived Spithead from the Mediterranean;

15 Jul 1802 came into Portsmouth harbour and was paid off and re-commissioned.

2 Oct 1802 remains Portsmouth harbour.

8 Nov 1802 went out of Portsmouth harbour ; she is under sailing orders.

16 Feb 1803 whilst returning to Portsmouth, from Leith, was driven by adverse winds on to the French Coast, where she struck on the Flemish Banks, and dropped an anchor. A boat was hoisted out, with Lieut Galway, the Master, and 8 men, to take soundings, when she upset, and every soul perished.

17 Feb 1803 arrived Spithead, the Acasta, Capt J.A. Wood, apparently undamaged, with seamen from Leith. There would appear to be some discrepancies with regards to this date of arrival : varying from 17th to 22nd Feb. Both dates being given in one report and on the same page.

7 Mar 1803 departed Spithead for Guernsey.

Circa 15 Mar 1803 the Acasta, arrived Plymouth, having been blown out of Guernsey Roads, and was ordered back out by signal, presumably to proceed along the coast visiting the various ports with a view to pressing men in other towns and village who haven't got wind of the latest news. The newspapers carry reports that several thousand seamen have been raised from the ports of London, Liverpool, Bristol, Hull, Portsmouth, Deal and Yarmouth, &c.

6 Apr 1803 departed Spithead for Guernsey.

15 Apr 1803 arrived back at Spithead from Guernsey.

7 May 1803 departed Spithead for Lymington, the Acasta, Capt Oswald, where the Hon Adm Cornwallis embarked and the vessel sailed for Torbay for Adm Cornwallis to take command of the Channel Fleet.

5 Jun 1803 having been delayed by gales the Diamond departed Spithead with R.-Adm Collingwood to join the Channel Fleet. Also went with Capt G Reynolds and Capt J A Wood, as passengers to join the Venerable and Acasta.

5 Jun 1803 departed Plymouth for a cruise.

6 Jun 1803 reports are received at Portsmouth that that the Acasta, operating in the Channel, has sent into Plymouth the French vessel Amiable Victorie, from Martinique ; St Margaretta, from Cette, with brand and wine, prizes. In addition, she detained the Sorg Wyck, laden with brandy, wine, and soap, from Barcelona ; also the Gustava, from Barcelona, laden with brandy and wine ; also prizes to the Acasta.

31 Jul 1803 arrived Plymouth from a cruise, with 2 prizes, a Dane from the Ferrol to Hamburgh, and a Prussian from Spain to Bourdeaux.

21 Aug 1803 went up into Hamoaze to refit.

7 Sep 1803 came down from Hamoaze into Plymouth Sound and having been refitted and repaired waits further orders.

10 Sep 1803 departed Plymouth on a cruise.

2 Oct 1803 in accordance with Adm Cornwallis's orders of 2 Oct 1803, in lat 48 19 ; long 21 30, fell in with and captured the French privateer L'Avanture, 20 guns and 144 men, and was able to recapture her 2 prizes, the Royal Edward, of London, and St Mary's Planter, of Liverpool, both late of the Jamaica convoy.

18 Oct 1803 arrived Plymouth the French privateer L'Avanture, prize to the Acasta.

3 Dec 1803 at sea, off Ushant.

13 Dec 1803 arrived Plymouth.

24 Dec 1803 has gone up from the Sound into Hamoaze, Capt Wood, to undergo repairs.

3 Jan 1804 departed Plymouth Sound for the fleet off Brest, although it would appear that due to a lack of wind she went down to the lower moorings where she must remain until there is more wind.

4 Jan 1804 departed Plymouth yesterday evening to join the Channel Fleet.

16 Nov 1804 arrived Spithead from Plymouth.

Circa 17 Nov 1804 the Acasta, Capt Wood, is apptd to take the next West India convoy, with the Reindeer, Capt Fyffe. Commissioner Dilke will take passage in the Acasta, to succeed Commissioner Stirling at Jamaica.

17 Nov 1804 a Court Martial was held at Portsmouth on Lieut John Griffith of the Acasta, for irregular and unofficerlike conduct, absenting himself from his duty beyond his leave. The Court was of the opinion that he should be dismissed his ship and placed at the bottom of the List of Lieutenants.

Circa 24 Nov 1804 the Hyaena is to replace the Reindeer accompanying the next West Indian convoy with the Acasta, the Reindeer having departed Spithead with a small convoy of West Indiamen for Cork, who missed the last convoy from Spithead.

28 Nov 1804 departed Spithead, the Hyaena, and Acasta with a convoy for the West Indies. The convoy included Generals Sir R Bassett, and Sparrow ; Commissioner Dilke ; and many passengers ; with a number of transports with the Africa Corps on board for Barbadoes.

May 1805 Portsmouth

Circa 23 Dec 1805 the squadron under V.-adm Duckworth, having lifted the blockade of Cadiz, was between Madeira / Canary isles, where it was reported a French Squadron had molested one and chased another convoy. The French squadron was sighted on 25 Dec and chased, but after 30 hours was discontinued and the squadron departed for the West Indies.

12 Jan 1806 anchored in Carlisle bay, Barbadoes. Acasta sent to St.-Christopher, or St.-Kitts, to expedite the preparations for watering the squadron.

21 Jan 1806 Northumberland and Atlas joined the squadron under V.-adm Duckworth. 1 Feb Kingfisher joined with intelligence that a French squadron had been seen steering for Santo-Domingo. 3rd was joined by the Epervier off Saint-Thomas. 5th Magicienne joined confirming the intelligence. 6 Feb a French Squadron was sighted leaving Santo-Domingo. the action of Santo-Domingo Roads commenced ; 2 French ships (Impérial and Diomède) run ashore and 3 (Alexandre, Jupiter, Brave) taken ; the wash-up ; the casualties ; more wash-up.

8 Feb 1806 ships' boats of Acasta and Magicienne brought away Captain Henry and his people, and afterwards set fire to and destroyed Diomède and Impérial.

30 Jan-24 Feb 1809 a part of a expedition under R.-adm Sir A Cochrane which arrived off Martinique with a view to taking the Island.

12-17 Apr 1809 a part of a British squadron, off the Saintes, West Indies, which chased a French squadron, and captured the French 74-gun d'Haupoult of 1871 tons, and, under the name of Abercromby, cruised for three or four years in the British service. 1 May 1835 a portion of the prize money resulting from this action due for payment : namely a dividend from the estate of the bankrupt agent Henry Abbott's : no doubt one of the many fraudsters who ripped off matelots in those days : officers and ratings being fair game.

10 Jun 1811 arrived Plymouth from Portsmouth.

6 Sep 1811 arrived Plymouth Dock the American brig Catherine, prize to the Acasta, taken on the 29th August, after a chase of five hours, within three miles of Corsica, laden with wines, &c.

25 Oct 1811 arrived Plymouth the American ship Trojan, Fitch, from Baltimore, detained off Bordeaux for breach of the blockade by the Armide and Acasta.

9 Nov 1811 Came into Plymouth from Basque Roads.

Dec 6 1811 arrived Portsmouth from Plymouth

30 Dec 1811 departed Portsmouth with convoy for Torbay and the East Indies.

4 Jan 1812 departed Torbay with convoy for India.

24 Jul 1812 captured the American privateer brig Curlew, 16 guns, 178 men, at lat. 44.15 N. long. 62. 30W., off Cape Sable. Purchased into the service and commissioned as Columbia.

30 Aug 1812 cruising in the latitude of 43° north; longitude 65' 16' west.

26 Oct 1812 The Two Brothers, Hayte, from Bristol to Baltimore, is detained by the Acasta frigate, and sent for Halifax.

3 Nov 1812 captured a U.S. privateer, the 10 gun schooner Snapper, with 90 men.

25 Dec 1812 captured a U.S. privateer, the 10 gun brig Herald, with 50 men.

1 Feb 1813, the Ramillies, in company with the Acasta, Martin and Dotterell, the latter having been chased into Bermuda 4 days earlier, spoke to the Nymphe.

Bermuda, 7 Feb 1813 arrived the Dotterel, from New Providence, chased the previous night by an American frigate, as a result of which the Ramillies, Acasta, and Dotterel departed in search of the enemy, returning on the 18th.

1 Jun 1813 the Valiant and Acasta chase the US ships United-States, Macedonian and Hornet, which had just departed from New York, into New-London.

17 Jun 1813 Acasta and Valiant capture the brig Porcupine, laden with brandy and silks, after a chase of 13 hours.

18 Jun 1813 arrived Halifax from New London, in company with the Valiant, having left the Ramillies and Orpheus blockading Com. Decateur's squadron.

22 Jul 1813 departed Halifax on a cruise.

28 Jan 1814 at Bermuda.

22 Jul 1814 arrived Halifax, the schooner Stephanie, from Philadelphia, for Havana, with a cargo of flour etc., detained by the Acasta.

27 Jul 1814 arrived Halifax, the sloop Diana, from N. York, for Havana, detained by the Acasta.

7 Aug 1814 arrived Halifax, the Amerucan Jabacco boat, Hazard, from the Chesapeake, detained by the Acasta.

18 Sep 1814 Princess Mary packet at Falmouth reports that she left the Acasta at Halifax when she departed.

Beginning of December, 1814 Newcastle, Acasta, and Arab stationed in Boston bay.

11 Dec 1814 Newcastle parted company to reconnoitre the road of Boston and on the 12th found Constitution apparently ready for sea. She then steered for Cape Cod bay where, on the 16th she was joined by the Acasta.

19 Dec 1814 Leander departed from Halifax bound off Boston, and on the 24th fell in with the Newcastle and Acasta.

22 Dec 1814 Arab reported to the Leander, Newcastle and Acasta that the Constitution had departed from Boston on the 17th inst. who departed in search of the US frigate.

28 Dec 1814 the Leander, in company with the Newcastle and Acasta, captured the celebrated privateer Prince de Neufchatel.

4 Jan 1815 Leander, Newcastle and Acasta, off the Western Isles.

21 Jan 1815 arrived Penzance last night the American privateer Prince of Neufchatel, 119 men and 22 guns, taken about a month since by HM Ships Leander, Newcastle and Acasta, after a long chase.

HM ships Leander, the Newcastle and the Acasta, are reported to have arrived on the 21 Feb 1815 at Santa Cruz, Teneriffe, from a search for the American squadron : they departed again on the 25th.

11 Mar 1815 Leander, Newcastle, and Acasta sight the US frigate Constitution in the harbour of Porto-Praya, island of Saint-Jago and sail in chase but lost sight of the Constitution in the haze, although they did manage to re-capture the sloop Levant.

7 May 1815, arrived Halifax, with the Leander, 22 days from Dominica, the Constitution frigate having escaped them in thick fog.

23 May 1815, the Newcastle, Leander and Acasta departed Halifax for Quebec.

31 May 1815, the Newcastle arrived Quebec with the Leander, Acasta, and Perseus.

16 Jul 1815 arrived Portsmouth, from Quebec, with a convoy of about 50 transports.