Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Boadicea / Boadacea, 1797
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 38
Launched at Adams's Yard, Bucklershard : 12 Apr 1797 ; Disposal date or year : 1858
BM: 1052 tons

19 Oct 1797 with the Anson captured the French privateer Zephyr, and on 17 Nov 1797 the French privateer Railleur in the Channel.

17 Sep 1798 Observed a French Squadron from Brest, off the Bec du Raz, sailing for Ireland with troops : departed for England to report the news.

9 Dec 1798 captured the French privateer Invincible Bonaparte in the Channel.

1799 The replacement of long-guns by carronades meant that the Boadicia, originally designed as a 38 gun frigate, was to be armed with additional carronades, making a total of 46 guns, thus making a nonsense of the current rating system.

13 Jan 1799 departed Plymouth on a cruise

14 Jan 1799 arrived Spithead from Plymouth

20 Feb 1799 Boadicea and Atalante captured the French Cutter Privateer Le Milan, 14 guns, and 44 men. I have ordered Capt. Griffith to see the prize into port, and, having landed the prisoners, to return and rejoin me. R. G. Keates.

24 Mar 1799 recaptured an American, from Charlestown bound to Hamburgh ; on the 8th fell in with and liberated a neutral ship, from Charlestown bound to Embden, and took the privateer La Requin, a brig, pierced for 18, mounting 14 guns, with 70 men which, when I first discovered her, was in the act of taking possession of the neutral. It is with extreme concern I add, that on the day following, in a violent gale of wind, the Requin overset, although at the time she had no canvas spread ; by which misfortune Mr. W. Clay, master's mate of the Boadicca, a young man of much merit, nine valuable seamen, and one prisoner, lost their lives.

1 Apr 1799 captured the Utile, a very fine brig of 16 guns, eight pounders, ten of which are brass, and 120 men, quite new, and three weeks from Bourdeaux, which was purchased into the service and retained the same name.

9 Apr 1799 Portsmouth, arrived at Spithead, a French brig privateer, of 18 guns, captured by the Boadicea.

12 Apr 1799 Plymouth, orders came down for the Boadicea, 44, and Seagull, 18, to take on board 183 French prisoners for Portsmouth, from the Ethalion and Spitfire.

20 Apr 1799 Plymouth, departed to Spithead, with prisoners.

1 Jul 1799 off Basque road.

22 Jul 1799 Plymouth came in the Lydia, Henderson, from New York, taken by a French privateer, and retaken by the Boadicea.

24 Jul 1799 Plymouth, Lydia and James, both recaptured by the Boadicea, were taken by the French privateer La Bourdalois, 24, and 200 men. She is a most complete vessel from Bourdeaux, and is remarkably well equipped.

8 Sep 1799 Plymouth arrived the Black Joke lugger, Lt. Nicholson, from Lord Bridport's fleet, she reports that the Boadicea and Amelia fell in with a convoy of 18 sail from Rochfort, for Brest, near the Passage du Raz, which they burnt and destroyed, except a brig of 6 guns, which was brought off.

17 Oct 1799 Portsmouth, arrived from a cruise on the coast of France.

26 Dec 1799 - 22 Jan 1800 the Boadicea and Severn, and the Pigmy and Telemachus Hired Cutters, in Company of the Anson and Sheerness, captured Le Saint Francois, Saint Pierre de Carnac, Brig, Name-unknown, and the Sloop Anna Louisa.

6 Mar 1800 Plymouth, departed the Boadicea, 38, Capt. Keates, on a cruise.

17 Mar 1800 chased the British sloop Danae, captured by mutineers amongst her crew and surrendered to the French at Brest.

26 May 1800 Plymouth, letters from the Elephant, 74, dated at sea the 24th inst. state the following interesting particulars: that on the 14th instant, Captain Keates, of the Boadicea, sent an armed boat with a Midshipman and six men into the Outer Roads of Brest to reconnoitre. At night she fell in with the French guard row boat, full of men. A severe scuffle ensued, and Boadicea's boat succeeded in beating her off with the loss of one man. The young gentleman who commanded the British row boat behaved with his little crew of six men with great gallantry. He then boarded a small sloop, and got information that the French fleet were in the Inner Road, and the Spaniards very sickly. 17th inst., states that the fleet were all dispersed in the gale of the 16th, at S.W. and N.W.

2 Jul 1800 Plymouth, arrived the Gipsey sloop, of Liverpool, from the West Indies, taken by La Braave French privateer, and retaken by the Boadicea.

13 Jul 1800 Plymouth, arrived the Cultivateur West Indiaman, Smith, Master, from Demerara and Issequibo, with a valuable cargo, captured by a French privateer, and recaptured by the Indefatigable, and Boadicea, close in with the French coast.

14 Aug 1800 Plymouth, reported to be cruising off the coast of Spain.

14 Aug 1800 captured the Spanish ship La Union, 650 tons, 22 guns, and 130 men, bound from Corunna, to Buenos Ayres.

20 Aug 1800 off Ferrol.

13 Dec 1800 Plymouth, departed with the Magicienne on a cruize.

2 Jan 1801 prize monies resulting from the captures made during the period 26 Dec 1799 - 22 Jan 1800 are ready to be paid.

14 Jan 1801 came into Plymouth Sound La Bompard / Bombarde, French gun lugger raft, prize to the Boadicea. of 44 guns, on her passage from Havre to Brest ; she is of a curious construction and is very low, drawing only three feet and half water; she carries 30 men, can take 150 soldiers with ease, but one 13 inch mortar, one long 24 pounder, four swivels besides small arms ; her No. 69, and is one of 200 sail which have been lying at Havre nearly 4 years, and were originally meant for the invasion of England ; her gangways are fortified, are very broad, and under them cases fitted for shells and shot.

28 Jan 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from a long cruise of ten weeks off the Black Rocks. She sprung her main-top-mast in a hard gale of wind.

14 Feb 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from Torbay, and departed later in the day with the Unicorn on a cruise, perhaps in search of the French frigates which were blockaded in at Flushing and are understood to have escaped in the recent gales.

9 Mar 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from a cruise with the Eurydice.

11 Mar 1801 went up the Plymouth harbour to refit.

11 Apr 1801 went down into the Plymouth Sound, and departed directly on a cruise.

13 May 1801 has left from off Brest to cruise off Quiberon Bay.

29 Jul 1801 departed Plymouth Sound with live bullocks for the Channel Fleet.

Circa Aug 1801 W. Thompson, Esq., Purser of the Boadicea, to the Hercule.

20 Aug 1801 ships' boats capture the Spanish vessel Neptuno and 2 others.

3 Sep 1801 arrived a beautiful Spanish packet, with 4 suits of sails, and other naval stores, cut out most gallantly by the Boadicea, and the Fisgard, from under the guns of a battery in the inner harbour of Ferrol, and although the Spaniards kept up a heavy fire, it was so ill directed that not a person was hurt ; she was going to the Havannah with dispatches. At the same time they cut out a Spanish gun boat, which was scuttled.

15 Nov 1801 arrived Spithead, from the Westward.

24 Nov 1801 has gone into harbour at Portsmouth to be paid off.

5 Feb 1802 went out of harbour to Spithead.

11 Feb 1802 departed Spithead the Boadicea, 44, for Torbay and Plymouth.

12 Feb 1802 arrived at Torbay.

16 Jun 1802 arrived Torbay last evening from a cruise and remains.

19 Jun 1802 departed Torbay on a cruise.

21 Dec 1802 has recently completed her repairs in Hamoaze and is to be brought forward for commission, in place of the Glenmore, found to be badly in need of repair. Capt Maitland of the Glenmore has been apptd to the Boadicea.

14 Mar 1803 came down from Hamoaze, into the Sound, under the command of Capt Maitland.

23 Mar 1803 fired a gun and hoisted a signal for all officers to repair on board, and then at a quarter to seven in the evening departed Plymouth Sound and stood down the Channel, destination unknown.

24 Mar 1803 would appear to be stopping shipping in the English Channel with a view to pressing seamen on board these ships, and then bringing them close in shore to be picked up by boats from the RN shipping in the Sound, before she heads off back to sea to repeat the process.

26 Mar 1803 hove-to off Plymouth Sound for an hour and then departed at sunset for the Eastward, presumably on her impress duties, manning the ships of the fleet being the RN's prime objective at the present time.

6 Apr 1803 departed Plymouth on a cruise.

12 Apr 1803 arrived Plymouth from a cruise.

20 Apr 1803 departed Spithead, the Boadicea, Capt Maitland, on a cruise to the Westward to press for men.

1 Jun 1803 departed Plymouth to cruise in the Channel following the outbreak of war circa 18 May.

6 Jun 1803 reports are received at Portsmouth that that the Boadicea, operating in the Channel, has sent into Plymouth the Dutch vessels Vrow Elizabeth, from Batavia ; Johanna Catharina, from Demarara, a prizes to the Boadicea.

Jun 1803 captured a French privateer, Name unknown, on the Home station.

8 Jun 1803 recaptured the London Packet of Guernsey, recently taken by a French privateer on the 6th, and recovered about 4 hours later, but her English crew, and papers etc. had been taken on board the privateer.

16 Jun 1803 departed Plymouth with prize crews for the Channel.

24 Jul - 2 Sep 1803 chase of and escape of the Duguay-Trouin, 74 and the 40-gun frigate Guerrière.

20 Sep 1803 arrived Plymouth the Boadicea, Capt Maitland, from a cruise to the Westward.

2 Oct 1803 departed Plymouth on a cruise off the French Coast.

5 Oct 1803 arrived Spithead from the Coast of France, where she got on shore and suffered much damage and has come into Portsmouth harbour.

9 Oct 1803 departed Spithead on a cruise.

29 Nov 1803 captured the French lugger Vautour.

9 Dec 1803 the Vautour fell in with the wreck of the American schooner Three Sisters, bound from Bastia to Demerara, her crew almost starving until the arrival of the Vautour.

12 Dec 1803 arrived Plymouth the French lugger Vautour, 16 guns, and 80 men, from St Domingo, from which she departed 45 days ago. She was captured about 20 leagues SW of Cape Finisterre, by the Boadicea, her mainmast and bowsprit having apparently gone in the recent gales.

13 Dec 1803 arrived Plymouth from a cruise, and refitted for Channel Service and victualled and stored accordingly.

22 Dec 1803 departed Plymouth for Service in the Channel.

28 Dec 1803 arrived Plymouth Sound from a cruise with the loss of her mizen mast, main and foretop masts, and flying jib boom, when off the Lizard.

3 Jan 1804 went up into Hamoaze to repair her damage.

19 Jan 1804 came down from Hamoaze into Cawsand Bay to await orders.

21 Jan 1804 in the gales last night the Boadicea ran foul of the Loire in Cawsand Bay and was obliged to cut away her foremast and bowsprit ; many of the frigate rolled gunnel to gunnel, and sometimes head under water.

6 Feb 1804 departed Plymouth for the Channel Fleet, the Boadicea, Capt Maitland.

C 16 Mar 1804 arrived Plymouth the Zacherman, Kraplin, from Stockholm, for Rochelle, detained by the Boadicea.

18 Apr 1804 English papers advise that the Boadicea was stationed off Rochefort to watch the movements of shipping. For several nights she had lain too at a particular spot, but from a sudden shift of the wind on the night of the 14 Mar., she was obliged to stretch off shore. At day break she saw a French ship of the line and a frigate close to her old station, but fortunately to leeward of her, and whilst she was in a position to have played with them for 2 or 3 days, she had no means of sending intelligence to the Admiral, and was therefore obliged to quit her station to inform the Admiral herself.

26 Jun 1804 arrived Plymouth from off Brest. Capt Seymour of the Colossus returned in the Boadicea, Capt G Martin has rejoined her.

9 Jul 1804 departed Plymouth, the frigates Boadicea, and Sirius, and the sloop Plover, for the Westwards.

11 Jul 1804 arrived Plymouth Sound from a cruise.

12 Jul 1804 this morning, with a pair of sheers got out her bowsprit, which was sprung in a gale, and this afternoon it was got in again, and new stepped, and will soon be ready for sea.

1 Oct 1804 reported to have been seen off Plymouth.

22 Oct 1804 arrived Cawsand Bay, Plymouth, from off Brest.

15 Nov 1804 departed Plymouth the Boadicea on a cruise to the Southward.

16 Jan 1805 arrived Spithead, from the Channel Fleet, the Boadicea, Capt Maitland.

16 Feb 1805 departed Spithead for Yarmouth.

18 Feb 1805 arrived N Yarmouth Roads from a cruise in the North Sea.

22 Mar 1805 prize money for La Favorie will be paid at Plymouth.

28 Mar 1805 arrived the Boadicea with 250 men, being part of the crew of the late Romney, man of war, lost on the coast of Holland. The prisoners speak highly of their treatment by the Dutch, provisions being more than adequate, including 3 glasses of liquor a day.

12 Apr 1805 arrived N Yarmouth the Amethyst from a cruise, having been relieved by the Boadicea.

8 May 1805 arrived N Yarmouth Roads.

2 Nov 1805 Boadicea and Dryad discovered the Rochefort squadron under R.-adm Dumanoir.

15-17 Dec 1805 Arethusa, Boadicea, and Wasp, with a convoy, sighted two French Squadrons : Wasp was detached to Rochefort, Ferrol, Cadiz, and Gibraltar and Boadicea to off Ushant to inform the local Flag Officers : Arethusa and the now divided convoy was chased, but escaped.

16 Sep 1809 a part of a squadron which landed troops and a naval unit on the Isle Bourbon on the 21st to disable the shore batteries so that an attack may be made on shipping in St.-Paul, resulting in stores and batteries etc. being destroyed, the recovery of 2 captured East Indiamen, and capture of a French frigate, Caroline (renamed Bourbonaise), the brig Grappler, and other vessels.

May 1810 Boadicea and Sirius had replaced the Leopard off the Isle of France, which in turn had replaced the Raisonable at the Cape, which had departed for England.

15 Jun 1810 Boadicea and Néréide watered on Isle Platte, or Flat island. Captain Willoughby injured in an accident. The two ships then departed for the island of Rodriguez, arriving on the 24th, to collect a convoy of troop transports for the invasion of the Isle of France.

7-8 Jul 1810 operation to take the Isle of France. 21 Aug 1834 second and final payment of prize money for the Isle of Bourbon due to be paid.

Late Aug 1810 departed from the Isle Bourbon for Isle de la Passe and Flat island, Isle of France. On arriving at Isle de la Passe was chased by the French frigates Vénus and Manche, and returned to safety of the Isle Bourbon on the 30th.

Early Sep 1810 returned to the Isle of France, but finding that there was little she could do, returned to the road of St.-Paul.

12-13 Sep 1810 Africaine sighted the French frigates Iphigénie and Astrée and departed in chase with the Boadicea, Otter, and Staunch some distance behind. Action between the Africaine and French ships commenced resulting in the Africaine hauling down her colours.

13 Sep 1810 Africaine recaptured by the Boadicea, Otter, and Staunch.

18 Sep 1810 Ceylon recaptured by the Boadicea, Otter, and Staunch.

18 Sep 1810 Vénus captured by the Boadicea, Otter, and Staunch.

19 Oct 1810 blockaded Port-Louis, Isle of France.

21 Nov 1810 off the island of Rodriquez preparing for a joint naval and military expedition to take the Isle of France, where they arrived on 28th, and the capitulation was signed on the 3 Dec.

Plymouth 13 May 1811 arrived from Portsmouth.

1825 - 1826 Burmese War - medal awarded to surviving officers, seamen, and marines - "India, No. 1" that decoration, with clasp for "Ava"). See p. 248-> at

Aug-Sep 1825 arrived Rangoon and Capt. Brisbane took the ships boats up-river in support of the Army.

Late 1825 Captain Dawson died, and was succeeded in command of the Arachne by Lieutenant Andrew Baird of the Boadicea.

Late 1825 Sir James Brisbane, at the commencement of this year, was obliged from severe indisposition to retire to Pulo-Penang. He died on the 19th of December, 1826.

8 Mar 1826 end of the Burma war.

29 May 1826 at Madras.

6 Jan 1827 Employed in the East Indies.

Portsmouth 21 Jul 1827 arrived from Madras, Trincomalee, the Cape of Good Hope, SL Helena, and Ascension.

1830 Chatham

Jan 1848 Chatham, in Ordinary (reserve)

20 Dec 1848 Chatham

1854 Harbour Service