Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Brisk, 1851
Type: Sloop / Corvette ; Armament 14
Completed : 2 Jun 1851 ; Disposal date or year : 1870
BM: 1087 tons
Propulsion: Screw
Machinery notes: 250

8 Jul 1848 It is reported that orders have been given by the Admiralty for building three steam-vessels, designed by the Committee of Reference on Naval Architecture -viz., the Resolute, of 400-horse power; the Barracouta, 300-horse power; and the Brisk, 250-horse power ; the two first-mentioned paddle-wheel propellers, and the last propelled by the screw. The Resolute is to be built at Portsmouth, the Barracouta at Pembroke, and the Brisk at Woolwich.

20 Dec 1848 Woolwich building

20 Jun 1851 arrived at St Helen's in tow of the Monkey, steam-tug, Wednesday, and departed for Scotland today, to have engines fitted

Oct 1853 cruising off the coast of Cuba for the suppression of the Slave Trade.

Following 27 Mar 1854, when war was declared, the Eurydice, Miranda, and Brisk were despatched to the White Sea, where a number of operations were carried out - see p. 428-> at

Early Autumn 1854 returned to England - see p. 429 at

12 May 1855, Barracouta met the French frigate Alceste, which was going to form a part of an allied squadron forming up off Kamschatka. The President was reported to be in the area with R.-Adm. Bruce on board, and the Dido was to the north searching for a privateer, and on the following day the Brisk hove in sight.

23 May 1855, met up with the Flag Officer in the President.

27 May 1855, the southern coast of Kamschatka became visible.

31 May 1855, the President, Pique, Dido, Brisk, Alceste, Encounter, Barracouta, and the American store ship Nile rendezvoused off Petropalovski.

1 Jun 1855, the squadron entered the harbour of Petropalovski, but discovered that despite appearing to have reinforced the fortifications the Russians had departed for the River Amur.

7 Jun 1855, destroyed the batteries and magazines at Petropalovski.

9 Jun 1855, watched the volcano of Koselskoi erupt, the sky over the mountain being tinged with red as night fell, the following morning the sea being covered with ashes, and a slight shock of an earthquake was experienced.

12 June 1855, the squadron put to sea, but having met with the Amphitrite, and FNS Eurydice, returned to Petropalovski. Shortly afterwards the various vessels appear to have one their various ways, as detailed by the Flag Officer.

6 Jun 1859 departed England for the Coast of Africa for anti-slavery duties.

15 Sep 1859 departed Simon's Bay for Inhambane, and from thence to the River Kongone looking for Dr. Livingstone.

3 Oct 1859 Captain de Horsey went in the ship's boats 5 miles up the River Kongone and not finding Dr. Livingstone left a bottle with a note advising that his supplies and mail would be sent to the rendez-vous about 24 Nov. The boats experienced great difficulty entering and leaving the river.

5 Oct 1859 anchored at Quillimane and on the 6th the Captain spoke the with Governor.

8 Oct 1859 weighed for Mozambique, and arrived on the 16th, when she rendez-voused with the Lyra and supplied her with stores and provisions.

20 Oct 1859 departed for Johanna, arriving at Pomony Harbour on 22nd.

29 Oct 1859 the Persian arrived Johanna from Mauritius.

31 Oct 1859 the Lyra arrived Johanna from the coast of Mozambique.

8 Nov 1859 returned to Pomony, where she found the Lynx.

9 Nov 1859 news of the wreck of the English barque Barretto Junior on the reef at Mayotta on 25 Oct 1859, with the loss of 11 of the 18 man crew, arrived at Pomony.

10 Nov 1859 departed Pomony for Mayotta Reef with Mr. Consul Sunley. It was subsequently discovered that the Barretto Junior had slipped off the reef into deep water with 750 tons of coal, bound for the French government at Mayotta. The survivors were looked after by the French authorities, who received the thanks of the Captain of the Brisk, Captain De Horsey, for the hospitable treatment provided to the survivors, who were embarked on board the Brisk, and eventually taken to the Cape of Good Hope by the Lynx.

13 Nov 1859 returned to Pomony.

14 Nov 1859 put to sea with the Lyra and Lynx.

20 Nov 1859 with the Lyra anchored off the Angoxa River and using the ships' boats went to Angoxa where the Sultan was warned of the consequences should he continue to support the slave trade.

29 Nov 1859 parted company with the Lyra, who departed for the Northern part of the Station on the East Coast of Africa.

10 Aug 1860 when off Johanna gave chase to the slave ship Manuela for seven hours before being able to detain her with 846 slaves on board, and having no flag or papers was not entitled to any protection, and was taken by Lieut Burlton to Mauritius, where she arrived on the 21 Sep 1860, 105 slaves having died in that period, it was assumed that may have been due accessing raw provisions during the chase, when in their famished condition they might have eaten anything. The case was brought before the Vice Admiralty Court at Mauritius on 15 Oct., when the vessel was condemned and the slaves apprenticed according to their ages. It was admitted by some of those on board that the vessel was in fact the Manuela,750 ton ship owned by Spanish owners in Havannah, and that she was formerly the well known "Sunny South," whose proceedings had already been brought to Their Lordships' notice.

7 Mar 1861 at the Cape Of Good Hope, when the Gorgon arrives on station.

26 Jul 1861 off Pomony Harbour, observing doubtful French slave practices, performed under the pseudo name of engagés in Arab dhows.

23 Apr 1862 Capt Philips advised the Secretary to the Admiralty, that having received information of three vessels being some miles up the River Congo intending to ship slaves the first opportunity, on Saturday, April 19th (having previously detached boats in opposite directions), he took up a position in latitude 5° 58' south, longitude 11° 50' 30" east, about twenty-three miles from the entrance of the river, in the hopes of being able to intercept them coming out. A vessel came out of the River on the 22nd Apr and Lieut Belson went alongside, and got half-way up her side before he saw a French officer, who then objected to his coming on board, but was very courteous ; and when asked the name of the ship, requested the captain of the ship to write the particulars down on paper for my information, which he did as follows, viz.— "Trois-mats, Francais, 'Ville d'Aigues-Mortes,' Capitaine L. Pignord, M. Quordan, Chirurgien de premiere classe de la Marine Imperiale, delegue du Gouvernement. The French officer, a surgeon, asked the name of the English man-of-war and captain, which Lieutenant Belson told him verbally, and then offered to write in his log a statement of proceedings, but he expressed himself perfectly satisfied without it.

7 Aug 1862 boarded the American barque Warren White, at Jelli Coffee, which Commodore Edmonstone subsequently stated had been reported as suspicious.

12 Sep 1862 Cdre Edmonstone advised the Secretary to the Admiralty, from the Arrogant, at Ascension, that he had received intelligence from Captain Luce, of HM ship Brisk, the Senior Officer of the Bight Division, that the "Investigator" was to have left Fernando Po, properly equipped, on the 30 Aug, for the River Niger, in pursuance with their Lordships' instructions. An officer from the Espoir was on board ; also, that the crew were healthy and cheerful. The Brisk is to meet the Investigator at the entrance of the Nun [circa 30 Aug], with a hired covered boat containing about twenty-five tons of coal, which she will turn over to her. This is a very thoughtful arrangement on the part of Captain Luce, as the boat can easily be towed by the "Investigator," and will enable her to replenish her fuel when necessary, it not being prudent to burn wood, and thus insure their Lordships' directions with regard to this important service being efficiently carried out. I beg leave here to add, that great praise is due to Lieut Glover, of the Handy, for the very valuable and ready assistance afforded by him to Lieut Lefroy in equipping the "Investigator." Although he must have been disappointed at not being permitted to proceed up the Niger, as previously arranged by me, still he freely gave the benefit of his experience and and advice; and I feel it due to that officer to bring the same under their Lordships' notice. I have &c. (Signed) W. Edmonstone.

14 Nov 1862 anchored at Cape Coast Castle and was joined there on the 16th inst. by the Senior Officer, Commodore Wilmot, in the Rattlesnake, who departed for Jellah Coffee the following day.

24 Nov 1862 arrived Lagos, in company with the Rattlesnake, and the Wrangler off to the South Coast.

Year ending 31 Dec 1862 suffered 373 cases of sickness during the year, in addition, 1 rating died and 1 officer and 5 ratings were invalided back to England.

1 Mar 1863 detained off Annabon a slave schooner, Name Unknown, which was sent for adjudication.

11 Aug 1863 returned to England from the West Coast of Africa, and to the end of this period suffered 153 cases of sickness, and 2 ratings dying before arriving back in the UK.

30 Aug 1864 Devonport. Commissioned for Irregular or particular service.

27 Aug to 31 Dec 1864 Irregular or particular service. Medical report : number of Cases of Disease and Injury.

1870 sold for mercantile service, and converted for use as a telegraph ship in the western approaches to the English Channel, but the company owning her soon went bankrupt and she was withdrawn from service after 2 months.