Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Challenger, 1826
Type: 6th rate ; Armament 28
Launched : 1826 ;
Disposal date or year : 19 May 1835
Disposal Details : Wrecked on coast of Chile. Capt. Michael Seymour.

25 May 1827 arrived Spithead with the experimental squadron, having spent a month at sea, during which they performed trials relative to the sailing qualities of the various ships They are ordered to take on stores for foreign service in preparation for a further cruise.

16 Jun 1827 remains at Spithead.

4 Jun 1827 Reports received that the Experimental squadron has been performing trials to test the sailing qualities of the various ships of the squadron.

15 Sep 1827 Is fitting out at Portsmouth for foreign service for a third cruise with the Experimental Squadron and is expected to go down to St. Helen's Monday next, weather permitting.

25 Sep 1827 departed Portsmouth with Experimental Squadron for off Scilly.

5 Apr 1828 remains Lisbon to look after British interests.

25 Jun 1828 preparing at Portsmouth for a passage for Newfoundland, Halifax, and Quebec.

15 Dec 1828 Performing sailing trials off Plymouth, with the Pallas.

15 Oct 1829 reported to be off New South Wales.

22 May 1830 reported to be in the harbour at Bombay.

23 Sep 1830 arrived Bombay from Bushire.

21 Oct 1830 arrived Bombay from Surat, &c.

4 Dec 1831 Capt Fremantle, of the Challenger, accompanied by the HEIC ship Clive, Capt Harris, arrived off Macao as a consequence of serious differences having arisen with the Chinese authorities at Canton, involving not only the forcible occupation of the British factory, and the demolition of a wall and quay, but the endangering of the lives of British merchants, Lord William Bentinck despatched the vessels with a letter to the Viceroy of Canton, and on the 8th a Select Committee of merchants at Canton, with whom Captn Fremantle communicated, sent a deputation to the Chinese Governor to inquire when it would be convenient for him to grant an audience to Capt Fremantle for the purpose of receiving the Governor-General's letter of August 27, demanding reparation and protection for British interests. Governor Le refused personally to receive the letter, which, according to Chinese custom, he persisted in styling a "petition," but requested that it might be presented through the "hong," or native merchants, a proposal which Mr. Marjoribanks, President of the Select Committee, rejected with indignation. Ultimately Governor Le reluctantly consented to receive the letter through a mandarin of rank, stipulating that the British officers were to proceed from Macao to Canton in their boats, the ships-of-war remaining below the Bogue forts.

31 Dec 1831 at half-past ten a.m., boats from the Challenger and Clive, and from the Company's trading ships, arrived at the stairs of the Company's garden, all fully officered and manned. The captains were in attendance, and everything was arranged to give as much effect as possible to the ceremony. At a quarter before twelve, all took their places in the boats, which pulled out into the stream, and then proceeded to the southern gate. The boats formed two abreast, those of the 'Challenger' and 'Clive' taking the lead. When abreast the 'Dutch Folly,' they were met by a boat, on board of which was Mr. (the late Sir John F.) Davis, who joined the party in the 'Challenger's pinnace, and the procession proceeded. And having gone through the appropriate process the mandarin signified an assent and received the letter, saluted Captain Fremantle, and the party retired, the marines presenting arms in the usual manner. The party then re-embarked, and returned in the same order as they came. A reply was transmitted through the "hong" merchants, for the acceptance of Captain Fremantle, but owing to the channel by which it was conveyed, and to its being addressed to no one, it was not received. Matters continued in this unsatisfactory state at Canton, and it was not until after the Chinese had received their first lesson of British power in 1840-42, that they were brought to a sense of their own impotence.

9 Apr 1831 arrived at Bombay.

28 May 1831 arrived at Madras from Bombay.

13 Sep 1831 arrived Calcutta from Madras.

29 Sep 1831 departed Bengal for China.

16 Mar 1832 departed China.

27 Mar 1832 arrived Singapore from China, and departed the following day for Bengal.

17 May 1832 departed Calcutta for Madras and Trincomalee.

9 Jun 1832 departed Madras to refit at Trincomalee.

9 Jul 1832 arrived Madras from Ceylon.

1 Aug 1832 had departed for Swan River.

15 Oct 1832 arrived Sydney, from Madras, and Swan River.

11 Nov 1832 departed Sydney for the South Sea Islands and Valparaiso.

16 Apr 1833 departed Rio de Janeiro for Portsmouth.

30 May 1833 arrived Spithead, from Rio de Janeiro, having previously called at Madras, the Swan River settlement, Hobart Town, Sydney, New Zealand, Otaheite, and Pitcairn Island.

8 Jun 1833 In Harbour Portsmouth.

12 Jun 1833 paid off.

15 June 1833, Portsmouth, commissioned.

28 Aug 1833 Portsmouth, undocked.

20 Sep 1833 Portsmouth, taken out of the basin and preparing for a passage to South America.

16 Oct 1833 departed Portsmouth but later returned due to the gale.

19 Oct 1833 departed Portsmouth for South America.

21 Dec 1833 departed Rio Janeiro for the Falkland Islands.

19 Jan 1834 nearing Cape Horn, in a boating accident an officer, the purser's steward, and two seamen were drowned.

16 Feb 1834 refitting at Valparaiso.

13 Jun 1834 collecting freight from Callao.

10 Oct 1835 a court martial will be held onboard the Victory, at Portsmouth, tender to the Britannia, on Monday next, to try the officers and crew of the Challenger, wrecked on the coast of Chili in May.