Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Dedaigneuse, 1801
Type: 5th rate ;frigate ; Armament 36
Taken : 28 Jan 1801 ; Disposal date or year : 1823
BM: 897 tons

26-28 Jan 1801 the frigates Oiseau, Sirius and Amethyst chase and capture of the French 36-gun frigate Dédaigneuse, afterwards added to the British navy under the same name.

7 Feb 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound La Dedaigneuse, of 40 guns, and 350 men, a fine frigate only two years old, prize to L'Oiseau, of 40 guns, Captain Linzee.

30 Jul 1801 hauled alongside the Jetty Head at Plymouth, previous to going into dock.

24 Sep 1801 commissioned in Hamoaze.

8 Oct 1801 went into the Sound, La Dedaigneuse.

31 Oct 1801 a Court of Enquiry was held on board the Dedaigneuse, of 36 guns, Hon. Captain Pierrepoint, bearing the flag of Vice Admiral Dacres, in Hamoaze, on the conduct of Lieutenant Nevin, late of his Majesty's hired armed brig Admiral Pasley, of 14 guns arid 45 men, captured near Gibraltar, after a smart action, by several Spanish gunboats, and carried into Algeziras Vice Admiral Dacres President, and Captain Buller, and Captain C. Lane, Members of the Court of Enquiry.
Upon hearing the evidence of Lieutenant Nevin, and examining the papers produced by him to the Court, and taking the existing circumstances of the case into their serious consideration, the President and Court were of opinion, that as the enemy had the command of their oars, and constantly kept in a position which confined the brig's force to musketry alone, the carronades being so large as to prevent the chase guns from being brought aft (which defect in her equipment would have been remedied, if she had not been hurried to sea with the dispatches that were to have been conveyed by the Flora, driven on shore In Hamoaze), no blame could attach to any person belonging to the Admiral Pasley ; and, considering the wounded state of Lieutenant Nevin, his conduct appeared to the Court meritorious, in resisting the enemy some time after the Master had advised him to surrender, and until the Admiral Pasley was completely defenceless.

12 Nov 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound La Dedaigneuse.

15 Dec 1801 this morning, at Plymouth, at six o'clock, an admiralty messenger arrived with dispatches for Admiral Sir T. Pasley, Bart, to be forwarded by the first fast sailing frigate to the naval commander at Gibraltar. The Admiral immediately sent to Captain Shortland, who departed in La Dedaigneuse, with dispatches for the Naval Commander at Gibraltar. Have also seen notes to the effect La Dedaigneuse remained in Plymouth Sound on 31 Dec 1801, but these 2 movements would appear to make that situation a little unlikely.

19 Jan 1802 arrived Plymouth Sound from Gibraltar, in 18 days, La Dedaigneuse, 36, Captain Shortland, with dispatches from Rear Admiral Sir James Saumarez, Bart, for the Admiralty, which were, with 3000 letters, smoked, fumigated, and sent forward by express. News was also received that the Powerful and Spencer, 74s, had departed Gibraltar for Jamaica.

8 Feb 1802 remains in Plymouth Sound.

7 Mar 1802 departed Plymouth on a cruise against smugglers.

15 Mar 1802 departed Plymouth on a cruise against smugglers.

22 Apr 1802 La Dedaigneuse, 38, is gone into Barnpool, to be be paid off, all standing ; Captain Shortland, will recommission her again directly, and is to be made post.

27 Apr 1802 this forenoon La Dedaigneuse, 38, Captain G. Shortland, was paid off at Plymouth, and her crew discharged. Captain S. commissioned her again directly.

1 May 1802 orders received Plymouth for La Dedaigneuse, Captain Shortland, lying in Barnpool, to be victualled and stored for eight mouths ; a number of the young nobility and gentry paid off, go out in her as midshipmen, to complete their servitude of six years, previous to their passing for Lieutenants at the Navy Board, she is said to be destined for the East Indies.

13 May 1802 La Dedaigneuse, 38, Captain Shortland is supplied with a time piece at Plymouth, which is a sure signal she is destined for a long voyage.

18 May 1802 dispatches from the Admiralty have been put on board and her destination confirmed as the Cape Good Hope, but she is understood to be 70 men short of her complement and this shortfall is to be made good by taking men from the lately commissioned ships of the line.

24 May 1802 several bags of Dutch letters for the Cape of Good Hope and Ceylon, came down this day to the post office, and were put onboard ; remains in Barnpool at Plymouth.

5 Jun 1802 dispatches received from London for the Cape of Good Hope and Ceylon were put on board.

7 Jun 1802 is understood to have received her final orders, sealed, and was warped down into the Sound and paid in the afternoon, and will sail tomorrow if the wind is fair. She has had a blue Peter flying all day at the foremast.

8 Jun 1802 the short fall in her complement has been made good by taking men from ships in Hamoaze.

9 Jun 1802 departed Plymouth Sound with dispatches for the Cape of Good Hope, Ceylon, and Trincomalee, the Dedaigneuse, 38 ; she was clear of Penlee Point at sunset.

5 Jul 1803 with France attempting to recover her war-time losses in the East Indies news that a renewal of the war was imminent brought about a number of manoeuvres and events between the French and British ships-of-war on the station.

7 Nov 1803 the Trident, Tremendous, Centurion, and Lancaster, of the line ; Dedaigneuse, frigate ; and Albatross, sloop, arrived Bombay from Madras.

Dec 1803 captured the French privateer Espiegle.

In the latter days of May 1804 the Trident, Centurion, Dedaigneuse, and a cutter were in Cochin Roads.

18 Jul 1804 departed Madras for Mauritius, the Trident, Adm Rainier, Capt Surridge ; Russell, Capt Williams ; Caroline, Capt Page ; La Dedaigneuse, Capt Heywood, it being rumoured that Linois was supposedly embarking troops there ?

7-9 Oct 1804 arrived Canton the Grampus, Caroline, Dasher, and Dedaigneuse, the latter having been dismasted.

May 1805 East Indies

Sep 1806 Sceptre, Cornwallis, and Dédaigneuse cruising off the Isle of France.

21 Nov 1806 sighted the Sémillante and her valuable convoy under sail, but due to the light winds and poor sailing of the ship had to abandon the chase, which lead to a court martial, at which Captain Proctor was exonerated from all blame.

After losing the Sémillante she cruised off the Isle of France until her water and provisions were nearly expended, and then departed for St. Mary's, Madagascar, before proceeding to Bombay.

30 Apr 1823 notice of sale of His Majesty's ships and vessels, [per London Gazette of 17 May 1823].