Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Galatea, 1810
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 36
Launched : 1810 ; Disposal date or year : 1849

7-9 May 1811 the frigates Phoebe and Galatea, and brig-sloop Racehorse, have distant sighting with the French 40-gun frigates Renommée, Clorinde and Néréide, off the Isle de France, whilst the Astrea, was lying in Port-Louis.

14 May 1811 the Astrea, Phoebe, Galatea, and Racehorse, departed from Port-Louis for Tamatave, Madagascar, arriving on the 20th, and, sighting the French squadron, made chase ; a severe action ensued resulting in the capture of the Renommée, and the subsequent surrender of the Néréide on the 25th at Tamatave. The Néréide, as the Madagascar, and Renommée, as the Java, were added to the Navy List.

3 Oct 1812 departed Ascension with 2 whalers and on 31st sighted 2 US frigates, whose attention she escaped in exchange for the loss of one of the whalers.

15 Nov 1812 arrived Portsmouth from the Cape of Good Hope, and St. Helena (27 Sep).

22 Feb 1813 Went down to St. Helen's.

19 May 1813 arrived Portsmouth from a cruise, with a Prussian ship detained off Cherburgh ; the South Esk, from Teneriffe ; and a convoy of transports from Ireland.

12 Jul 1813 passed Plymouth on Saturday night with a convoy from Lisbon (20th ult.).

12 Jul 1813 arrived Portsmouth with convoy from Lisbon ; departed the 19th ult.

9 Aug 1813 departed Portsmouth with the West Indies convoy.

4 May 1814 departed St. Thomas's with a convoy for Great Britain.

25 Aug 1814 departed Portsmouth for Newfoundland.

4 Mar 1815, departed Bermuda, for Halifax.

19 Mar 1815, arrived Halifax, from Bermuda.

17 Oct 1815 arrived Portsmouth with a small convoy of transports from Quebec.

17 Dec 1825 is shortly due to arrive Portsmouth from Deptford.

30 Sep 1826 at Spithead

22 Nov 1826 arrived Portsmouth from a cruise.

10 Dec 1826 departed Spithead for the Lizard where sealed orders would be opened.

6 Jan 1827 at Oporto.

4 Jun 1827 reports received that the Experimental squadron has been performing trials to test the sailing qualities of the various ships of the squadron.

16 Jun 1827 in the Portsmouth Harbour.

15 Sep 1827 is fitting out at Portsmouth for foreign service for a third cruise with the Experimental Squadron and is expected to go down to St. Helen's Monday next, weather permitting.

15 Jun 1828 arrived Lisbon.

16 Jun 1828 arrived in the Tagus today.

11 July 1828 In the Tagus with a large number of refugees on board.

21 Aug 1828 arrived Portsmouth from Plymouth and is fitting out for a passage to the Brazils.

24 Aug 1828 departs Portsmouth tomorrow for Madeira.

14 Dec 1828 touched at St. Michael's.

26 Dec 1828 arrived Portsmouth on Sunday from Brazil.

2 Mar 1829 at 6 in the morning had only her lower masts in, but by 6 pm had her masts in and was completely rigged, albeit she was 60 men short of complement. Some of the notes for the Galatea from 1829-31 are taken from The Life and Correspondence of Admiral Sir Charles Napier - Vol I, available in Google Books or via the WayBack Machine, when he was captain.

11 Mar 1829 is to be based on the Portsmouth station.

1829 fitted with machinery, worked by her ship's company, that drove paddle wheels : see comments below for 7 Dec 1830 that praised the utility of this machinery in calm conditions off Madeira.

Mar 1829 once the paddles were fitted the Galatea spent much time at Spithead, with Captain Napier employing the ship's company testing the paddles in the Solent, and ashore occasionally with sham fights on Southsea Common, and attacks on the various forts ashore at Southsea and Portsdown.

12 Jun 1829 departed Spithead with Captain and Commissioner Ayscough, and family, for Barbadoes and Jamaica, taking his own family across the Channel and dropping them off at Havre-de-Grace on the 15th, where the Galatea was paddled into the harbour.

17 Jun 1829 departed Havre for Madeira.

4 Jul 1829 arrived Madeira in a flat calm, and was again able to use the paddles.

8 Jul 1829 departed Funchal, and cruised briefly off the Cape de Verde Islands looking for slavers, see following notes, before departing for Barbadoes and the West Indies.

19 Jul 1829 chased and boarded a Guineaman to the north of St. Jago, Cape Verde Islands, but no slaves on board.

21 Jul 1829 St. Jago, Cape Verde Islands, had a quick look at the Spanish schooner Amistade, just arrived from Havana.

11 Aug 1829 arrived Carlisle Bay, Barbadoes, having lost a man overboard. Preparing to sail for Jamaica on the 16th, calling at Martinique en route.

24 Aug 1829 arrived Jamaica and disembarked Captain and Commissioner Ayscough, and family.

1 Sep 1829 departed Jamaica for Mexico. 18 Sep 1829 anchored off the Island of Sacrificios, near Vera Cruz, Mexico, where he entertained Gen. Santa Anna, following his recent expulsion of the Spanish from the country.

28 Sep 1829 preparing at Vera Cruz for a passage to Vera Cruz and Havannah.

10 Oct 1829 departed the Island of Sacrificios, near Vera Cruz.

28 Oct 1829 arrived Havannah.

5 Nov 1829 departed Havannah with the aid of her paddles, en route for Portsmouth.

19 Nov 1829 a letter written by the commanding officer of the Skipjack to the resident British Commissioner at Havana regarding the inveigling of British seamen on RN ships (e.g. Galatea) to desert, which found its way quickly to the Foreign Office and to the Governor of Cuba:
Sir, H. M. Schooner, Skipjack, Havana, 19th November, 1829.
HAVING been informed, in the course of my enquiries for Volunteers for His Majesty's Service, about 3 days since, that 4 men, (George Anderson, William Scott, John Powell, and John Kneall,) who had deserted from His Majesty's Ship, Galatea, while in this Port, were on board the American Schooner, William Gardner, of Baltimore, I made it my immediate duty to find some proof, if possible, of their identity, in order to reclaim then ; during this investigation I learned, that, on deserting from His Majesty's Ship, Galatea, they had been harboured by a man, commonly called Portuguese Joe, well known in Havana, but whose real name I could not ascertain, who afterwards entered them on board the American Ship, United States, Mr. Kennedy, Master, and, by the names above stated, and on the day subsequent to the sailing of the Galatea, again inveigled and took them on board the Schooner, William Gardner, of Baltimore. When just prepared to make representations to this effect to the Spanish Authorities, the circumstance was unfortunately mentioned by Mr. Kennedy to the Master of the William Gardner, and the men again escaped. It appears to me, Sir, from the conversations I have held with various Masters of Merchantmen, as well as from the above circumstances, that the frequent desertions from His Majesty's Service, in this Port, are all attributable to the same cause. The men, known by the common term of landlords, encourage the Seamen, by promises of high wages, &c. to desert, harbour them during their own Ship's stay in Port, encourage them to live expensively, and when completely in their power, place them on board Vessels engaged in the traffic of Slaves; and this also accounts for the intermixture of English and American Sailors in these Vessels. Considering it highly desirable, Sir, to overthrow so detestable a system, and being uncertain when I shall have it in my power to communicate the particulars to the Commander-in-Chief, I have taken the liberty of writing to you on the subject, hoping that some means may suggest themselves, to punish the Offender in this case, and prevent the future operations of those of his Class.
I have the honour to be, &c. J. Pulling.
W. S. Macleay, Esq.

4 Dec 1829 arrived Portsmouth from Havannah, with specie.

24 Dec 1829 came into Portsmouth harbour.

26 Feb 1830 ordered out to Spithead, from whence he was to cruise in the Channel, but this wasn't to the captain's taste.

16 May 1830 departed Portsmouth for Plymouth.

26 May 1830 arrived Spithead from Plymouth.

5 Jul 1830 at Spithead.

4 Aug 1829 detached to Lisbon to demand satisfaction from Don Miguel's government for the restitution of several British merchant vessels detained by the usurper of the Portuguese throne. Through the presence of the British frigate and her captain's diplomacy the object of the visit was achieved, although a French observer had wished the French equal success with the same problem, but they had to resort to force to attain the same ends.

4 Feb 1830 Mr. William Hugh Dobbie, Midshipman of H.M. ship "Winchester," was alongside H.M. ship " Galatea," in Portsmouth harbour, when one of the young gentlemen belonging to her, Alfred Roger, vol 1st class, fell overboard, who, from his inability to swim, together with the intensity of the cold, was in great danger of being drowned, when the said Mr. Dobbie plunged after, and supported him until they were picked up ; and was subsequently awarded an RHS certificate.

10 Sep 1830 arrived Portsmouth from Lisbon.

15 Oct 1830 departed Portsmouth for the West Indies with Sir George Hill, the Governor of St. Vincent designate. The weather being contrary Captain Napier beat down the Solent through the Needles, but had to wait off Torbay for the weather to settle, and eventually departed for Madeira on the 24 Nov.

7 Dec 1830 arrived Madeira from Portsmouth and on approaching the land a calm came on, when she put her paddles in motion, and in an hour and three quarters was propelled six miles. The utility of the paddles was in this instance manifest, as others were forty-eight hours in sight of Funchal Roads without being able to reach it, after the Galatea had passed them and anchored.

10 Dec 1830 departed Madeira for St. Vincent's.

23 Dec 1830 fell in with the Primrose in lat, 18° 3. N. and 29° 6. W.

7 Jan 1831 arrived at Barbadoes from Plymouth and departed for St. Vincent 9 Jan.

10 Jan 1831 arrived St. Vincent and landed the Governor.

24 Jan 1831 departed from Jamaica for Vera Cruz.

5 Feb 1831 arrived off the bar at Tampico, where a tremendous surf was breaking over the bar, on which the captain capsized the gig and was said he and his crew were lucky to have avoided drowning, a fate which was visited on a Midshipman Carrington when he attempted to go ashore. Visited Sacrificios again, before returning to Tampico where a freight was obtained, for which the captain would have been paid.

28 Mar 1831 departed Mexico.

9 Apr 1831 arrived Havannah.

6 May 1831 arrived Portsmouth from the Havannah, Capt. Napier, C. B., in command.

17 May 1931 departed Spithead for the Azores, arriving in early June, remaining there until 4 August, watching over British interests in the fight between the Miguelites and the followers of the Queen.

18 Aug 1831 arrived Portsmouth from the Western Islands.

20 Aug 1831 at Spithead.

11 Sep 1831 departed Portsmouth with the squadron under the command of V.-Adm Sir E Codrington.

12 Sep 1831 the Caledonia furled her sails and the Galatea took her in tow at 10.05 am, and later, with the Charybdis and Viper sweeping, and achieved one knot and two fathoms an hour, following which she returned to Spithead.

25 Sep 1831 arrived Cork with the squadron under the command of Sir Edward Codrington, and departed for Plymouth and Portsmouth 15th Oct.

14 Oct 1831 arrived Spithead from the Downs.

15 Oct 1831 departed Spithead for Jersey with the Stag.

17 Oct 1831 arriving off the Channel Isles the wind failed the two vessels and the Galatea ordered the Stag to send a portion of her crew on board in order to man the paddles and the Galatea to tow the Stag into St. Aubyns Bay.

18 Oct 1831 the Galatea and Stag embarked the 82nd regiment, which were landed the following day at Portsmouth.

20 Oct 1831 returned to Spithead.

25 Oct 1831 departed Portsmouth for the Downs.

26 Oct 1831 arrived Deal from Portsmouth.

29 Oct 1831 the squadron under the command of Rear- Admiral Warren, weighed anchor from the Downs for the Scheldt, but, on approaching the Dutch coast, the squadron met with a severe gale and thick weather, when the Admiral ordered them to disperse and make the best of their way back to the Downs.

1-2 Nov 1831 the Stag, Galatea, Tribune, Curacoa, Imogene, Tweed, and Brisk, arrived in the Downs, the Talavera, Revenge, and Wellesley, with the rest of the squadron shortly after.

10 Nov 1831 remains at the Downs.

22 Dec 1831 departed the Downs and anchored off the Great Nore, weighed on the 23rd and anchored at the Little Nore, where the Galatea and Stag received a battalion of the 1st Royals for passage to Leith.

22 Dec 1831 departed the Downs for Sheerness and Leith.

25 Dec 1831 departed Little Nore for the Great Nore, and on the 26th departed for Leith, and it being calm in the Frith of Forth the Galatea shipped her paddles and on which they employed the troops help them paddle up to Leith Roads, where they arrived on the 5 Jan 1832, and the Captain having lived locally as a child spent some days ashore whilst the Army was put ashore.

15 Jan 1832 departed Leith for Spithead, arriving on the 22nd, and went into the harbour the following day, and commenced the business of returning stores etc., in preparation for being paid off.

22 Jan 1832 arrived Spithead, with the Stag, from the Downs, and later in the week came into harbour to be paid off into Ordinary.

26 Jan 1832 an inquest was held at RNH Haslar on Wm. Norris, a seaman, who suffered a fractured skull, when struck by a shroud when he was on the Gangway : accidental death.

28 Jan 1832 paid off at Portsmouth into ordinary.

28 Oct 1836 the Madagascar off Land's End, with the Galatea, hulk in company, en route for the West Indies, where the Galatea is to be used as a coal depot at Jamaica.

20 Dec 1848 Coal Depot at Jamaica