Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Gorgon, 1837
Type: Frigate ; Armament 6
Launched : 31 Aug 1837 ; Disposal date or year : 1864
BM: 1150 tons ; Displacement: 1610 tons
Propulsion: Paddle
Machinery notes: 320 ; Speed ; 8.5 knots ;

Designed by Sir W. Symonds.

Sheerness 16 Sep 1837 recently launched at Pembroke, she arrived here Tuesday and is shortly to be docked. When launched she was the largest steam vessel in the Service, and it was claimed she could carry coal for 20 days steaming and had accommodation for 1,000 troops and 156 crew, along with room for stores and provisions for 6 months. The mind boggles at what conditions would have been like under those circumstances !

17 April 1839 Plymouth departed with the Tortoise, coal-depot, for Sheerness.

23 Jun 1839 The Gorgon steam-frigate has been commissioned at Sheerness.

1 Jul 1839 Assistant-Surgeon Dr. O'Hagan, and Captain William Honeyman Henderson appointed to the Gorgon.

20 Jul 1839 Lieutenant F. T. Brown, and Purser R. Lower, appointed to the Gorgon."

9 Aug 1839 Portsmouth arrived from Sheerness, and departed to Plymouth to wait there for dispatches for the Mediterranean ; whilst here she embarked one corporal and 11 gunners of the Marine Artillery.

10 Aug 1839 Second Master Francis Egerton and Vol. 1st Class Francis Egerton, appointed to the Gorgon."

18 Sep 1839 is reported to have joined the fleet at Beshika Bay.

14 Dec 1839 Malta, Mr. Robert Lower, purser, came down in the Phoenix on account of ill health, but whether invalided or for hospital treatment we cannot say.

11 Jan 1840 Malta Gorgon war-steamer arrived on Sunday evening from Vourla bay, whence she departed on the 3d inst. ; she brings down Mr. Knapman, purser of the Rodney, invalided.

28 Feb 1840 Malta, released from quarantine on Saturday.

17 June 1840 arrived at Smyrna from Malta, last from Mytilene.

24 Jun 1840 joined Sir John Louis' squadron beating up the Tenedos passage, en route for Vourla, from Smyrna, and was then detached to Malta with despatches.

28 Jun 1840 arrived Malta.

13 Aug 1840 reported to be coaling at Alexandria.

14 Aug 1840 Gorgon arrived at Beyrout from Alexandria. She and the Castor had captured several vessels with warlike stores. They were keeping off shore and under sail looking out for captures.

9 Sep 1840 arrived Beyrout.

11 Sep 1840 Beyrout, the Cyclops opened fire on troops in the south part of the bay.

12 Sep 1840 at Beyrout, Gorgon, Hydra, Cyclops and Phoenix landed marines and Turkish troops at nearby Jouna and the Princess Charlotte, Ganges, Benbow, Edinburgh and Revenge bombarded General Soliman's troops ashore.

14 Sep 1840 Beyrout, The bombardment continued and the allied troops fortified their positions.

15 Sep 1840 Beyrout, Fired occasionally as targets showed themselves. Carysfort, Dido and Cylops sent to Gibbail in an attempt to remove enemy troops from the fortress, who repulsed the first attempt, but withdrew to Beyrout during the night.

25 Sep 1840 Thunderer, Wasp, Cyclops, Gorgon and Hydra departed to take possession of Sidon, and were joined en route by the Stromboli.

26 Sep 1840 operations at Sidon. See of 17 Nov 1840.

22 Oct 1840 at Beyrout the squadron remains very sickly and Lieutenant Penny has died.

2 Nov, 1840 arrived off St. Jean d’Acre.

3 Nov, 1840 bombardment of St. Jean d’Acre. Egyptian forces evacuate St. Jean d’Acre overnight and the town was occupied on the 4th by the Turks. See of 1 Dec 1840.

8 Dec 1840 had arrived Marmorice Bay, from England.

Aug - Nov 1840 Capture of Acre and operations on the coast of Syria. Turkish Medals awarded to the Officers and Men employed during the Campaign. 16 Oct 1844 those onboard between 9 Sep - 10 Oct 1840, and at the bombardment of St. Jean D’Acre, on the 3 Nov 1840, will be paid their respective proportions of the grant voted by Parliament for the said services.

2 Jan 1841 Lieutenant R. D. Stupart, appointed to the Gorgon ;

14 Jan 1841 has gone to Acre to take up invalids to Malta.

12 Feb 1841 at Malta.

10 Apr 1841 Mates _____ Smith and ____ Harvey, appointed to Gorgon ;

10 Apr 1841 Chatham, second master Francis Eddington, late of the Gorgon, passed his examination for Master at the Trinity House.

3 Apr 1841 departed from Alexandria for Malta.

25 Apr 1841 at Alexandria.

25 Jun 1841 at Alexandria.

5 Jul 1841 departed Alexandria following a 3 month stay, protecting British interests etc.

10 Jul 1841 arrived Malta, to have defects made good.

25 Jul 1841 at Malta.

7 Aug 1841 Royal Marine Artillery Second Lieutenant Laurence, appointed to Gorgon.

15 Aug 1841 in port at Valetta.

5 Sep 1841 at Valetta.

4 Oct 1841 departed Malta, for Athens and Suda, Candia, with provisions for the Benbow.

16 Oct 1841 arrived at Alexandria, replacing the Medea.

13 Nov 1841 Volunteer First Class James Black, appointed to the Gorgon.

24 Dec 1841 was at Alexandria when the steam ship Montrose departed for England.

16 Jan 1842 is reported at Malta to be at Beyrout.

24 Dec 1841 was at Alexandria when the steam ship Montrose departed for Malta and England.

1 Jan 1842 arrived Beyrout and departed for Alexandria on the 5th inst.

20 Feb 1842 arrived Malta from Alexandria with a Calcutta mail.

28 Feb 1842 departed Malta for Tunis, Algiers and England.

26 Mar 1842 preparing to pay off at Woolwich.

5 Nov 1842 ordered to be brought forward for commission.

23 Jun 1844 ashore on North Shore, Montevideo Bay - see below.

Aug 1845 - Jun 1846, operations with the French, against renegade Uruguayan, Oribe, and Don Juan Manuel de Rosas, up the River Parana. See p. 336-345 at at

1846 South America and River Plate

20 Dec 1848 Pacific Station

28 Jan 1850 Departed Callao in company with the Asia for Payta.

25 Dec 1850 At Valparaiso.

30 Aug 1851 Pacific

15 Apr 1854 captured Russian brig Patrioten. 21 Jul 1857 the proceeds arising due for payment.

17 Apr 1854 the Gorgon and 14 other vessels were present at the detention of the Ida.

Late Aug 1854 Napier sent the Odin, Alban, Gorgon, and Driver to reconnoitre Abo - see p. 425-> at

19 Sep 1855 detained a Russian vessel, Name Unknown. Circa 30 Dec 1856 proceeds arising due for payment.

20 Nov 1855 detained 3 x Russian vessels. Circa 30 Dec 1856 proceeds arising due for payment.

20 Nov 1855 distribution of proceeds arising from the captured Swedish vessels Active, Charlotta, and Fernan. [per London Gazette of 30 Dec 1856].

24 Jan 1856 Portsmouth. Taken out of the Steam Basin today.

23 Apr 1856 Present at Fleet Review, Spithead ; Commander Crawford

26 Apr 1859 Commissioned at Woolwich, ie when the Ship Record and Establishment Books ADM 115/439 was opened.

9 Nov 1860 departed Plymouth Sound to look for the Prince of Wales.

14 Nov 1860 are informed by the Himalaya that the Prince has been picked up and return to harbour as a gale moves up the Channel.

16 Nov 1860 at Portsmouth. [By Ed. includes some notes from the London Gazette etc. for slave dhow captures and some brief notes from the assistant purser's book "A Cruise in the Gorgon," available in Google books.]

26 Nov 1860 depart for Plymouth.

29 Nov 1860 depart Plymouth Sound for the Cape of Good Hope, with the former packet Swift, to be a mooring lighter there, under tow, but she is to frequently part her tow during the passage.

13 Dec 1860 arrive Madeira, with the Swift arriving a few days later, after having stopped off in a French port.

22 Dec 1960 depart Madeira with the Ariel and the Swift in tow, before a gale blows in.

31 Dec 1860 the Swift breaks free.

1 Jan 1861 the Swift returns to the fold during the Morning watch and with her in tow, and with steam up, arrive at Porto Grande, St. Vincent, Cape de Verd.

4 Jan 1861 fuel ship with patent fuel. Apparently not recommended.

5 Jan 1861 carry out gunnery practice at Bird Island.... one hit !.

6 Jan 1861 exercise a tow with the Ariel as they depart Tarrafal Bay for water.

7 Jan 1861 take on board 28 tons of water.

8 Jan 1961, depart the Cape de Verd Islands, with the Swift, the Ariel disappearing into the distance.

16 Jan 1861 cross the equator, the temperature 82°. Occasionally, on a warm evening, a sail is lowered over the side, filled with sea water and used as a swimming pool.

28 Jan 1861 man overboard for real, but duly rescued !

31 Jan 1861 approaching Rio de Janeiro.

6 Feb 1861 depart Rio de Janeiro.

23 Feb 1861 arrive Tristan da Cunha.

26 Feb 1861 depart Tristan da Cunha.

7 Mar 1861 arrives at the Cape Of Good Hope with the Swift.

25 Mar 1861 the commanding Officer, Captain Bedford C. Pim, departs as commanding officer of the Fury, for England.

26 Mar 1861 Captain John C. Wilson takes command, and then departs for hospital, looking rather sickly.

17 May 1861 departed the Cape, with the Penguin, to look for a missing steamer with the Governor on board, and search along the coast until they end up at Algoa Bay in bad weather, where, 2 weeks later they're informed that the Penguin has found the missing vessel, not long after leaving the Cape, and so the Gorgon returned to the Cape.

17 May 1861 nearly ran down the flag ship Narcissus when departing Simon's Town.

31 May 1861 returned to Simon's Bay.

14 Jun 1861 departed for Mozambique.

21 Jun 1861 severe storm which ripped the sails to shreds.

22 Jun 1861 arrive Natal.

7 Jul 1861 off Congoni, but heavy seas make a boat landing impossible.

10 Jul 1861 off Casuarina, where wood is cut for fuel for the engine(s).

13 Jul 1861 send ship's boats up the Angosca river looking for slavers.

16 Jul 1861 pick up the boats sent up the Angosca, which were unable to enter the river, as the boats appear to have been over-loaded and were nearly swamped.

17-21 Jul 1861 at Mozambique.

3 Aug 1861 detained by Lt Harvey in one of the ship's boats off the Lindy River a slave dhow, Name Unknown, 156 tons, found fully equipped for the Slave Trade, with a crew of 20 men, having no colours or papers, was destroyed after the crew were landed, and the case was sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

9 Aug 1861 observed 3 dhows off Kiswara harbour and gave chase in two of the ship's boats and detained 2 of them, the first, Name Unknown, of 84 tons, and being found fully equipped for the Slave Trade, with a crew of 15 men, with no colours or papers, and being unfit for a voyage to a port of adjudication was destroyed after her crew were land and her case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

9 Aug 1861 the second dhow Name Unknown of 47 guns was also found equipped for the slave trade, with a crew of 12, and no papers or colours ; and being found leaky was subsequently abandoned by the captors, and soon after foundered.

19 Aug 1861 observed a slave dhow Name Unknown on shore on a reef attached to Querimba Island, Name Unknown, 172 tons, and on being boarded was found fully equipped for the Slave Trade, with a crew of 25 men, but no colours or papers, and all the tell tale signs of have recently "had a cargo of slaves on board. The master stated that on the previous evening with 100 slaves shipped from Conducia he had been chased by one of HM cruisers and had run on shore in the dark and that the slaves had been landed on Querimba Island. The dhow's crew were put ashore and being leaky the dhow was destroyed, and case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

22 Aug 1861 Pemba Bay.

24 Aug 1861 a dhow Name Unknown of 169 tons, was captured by Mr. Guido Harris, second master of the Gorgon, who was then at Zanzibar, in charge of a slave dhow detained by the Gorgon. Mr. Harris having learnt from Colonel Rigby, HBM's Consul, that a Sooree pirate, of the name of Mohammed Bin Alee, intended to run a cargo of slaves from Mlony, a point about seven miles north of Zanzibar, proceeded after dark, with an armed boat to lay in wait for the vessel, accompanied by one of the Consul's boat's crew to identify her if necessary. About midnight they perceived a dhow running to the northward. Upon attempting to board her the crew resisted with drawn swords, whereupon Mr. Harris and his men opened fire, and after killing three or four, and driving the rest overboard, succeeded in capturing her. Upon searching the dhow, 17 slaves were found stowed away in different parts of the vessel. She was completely fitted for the Slave Trade, with no colours or papers, and being unseaworthy was destroyed and the case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

27 Aug 1861 off Latham Island.

29 Aug 1861 2 dhows, Names Unknown, one of 169 tons ; and another of 229 tons were captured by Lieuts Ross and Price, while cruizing in the pinnace and whale-boat of the Gorgon, between Port Pangane and Mahatto Island, when three dhows were seen standing for the land, and after an hour's chase two were cut off and forced to bring-to. Upon being boarded, they were found provided with Arab colours, but no papers. On board of one was an Arab who styled himself the King of Angoxa, who had neither passports nor papers, nor could he account for being without them. The only document he possessed was a blank envelope addressed to Queen Victoria. He appears to have been escaping from Angoxa with as many slaves as he could get. These vessels were detained, and as the weather appeared threatening, were anchored with the Gorgon's boats two miles to the south of Mahatto Island, but in consequence of the weather becoming worse, Lieut Ross removed the crews and slaves from two of the dhows to the third one, and allowed her to escape, and destroying the two remaining and their cases sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned. On board the dhow where the King was, were found two revolvers, marked with the broad arrow and the letters B.O., and respectively numbered 18 and 24. It is believed that they belonged to two men of HM ship "Lyra," who, about two years before this capture, were murdered in the Angoxa River.

31 Aug 1861 depart for Zanzibar, having manned an armed ship's paddle boat with 6 weeks provisions to look along the coast for slave dhows.

1 Sep 1861 arrive Zanzibar.

6 Sep 1861 Lieut Ross, while cruizing with the pinnace and whale-boat captured a dhowName Unknown of 109 tons off Songa Island, when standing towards Quilloa. She was found to be fully equipped for the Slave Trade, with neither papers nor colours, and was detained accordingly ; her crew of thirteen men admitting that they were bound to Quilloa for slaves. The dhow being unfit for a voyage to a port of adjudication was destroyed after the crew were landed and case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

8 Sep 1861 A dhow Name Unknown of 200 tons, captured by Lieut Harvey while cruizing in one of the ship's boats, off Pemba Island, was discovered coming to anchor in Port Wangeeke, in the north of the island. On being boarded she was found fully equipped for the Slave Trade, no colours or papers, with a crew of 20 men from the Persian Gulf. Being unfit for a voyage to a port of adjudication she was destroyed after the crew were landed, and the case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

11 Sep 1861 a dhow was observed at 6 a.m. standing towards the land, her decks crowded with negroes ; Lieut Ross, in command of the pinnace fired across her to bring her to, and her crew ran off into a mangrove bush and escaped, leaving the dhow Name Unknown of 138 tons, unmanned. Upon being boarded, the crew if the pinnace found that she had recently been occupied by a great number of people.....just use your imagination. No papers were found, but she was fitted for the Slave Trade and being hard aground she was destroyed, the case being sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

11 Sep 1861 a little later in the day, at 2 p.m., while cruizing off Wasseen Reefs another dhow was was observed standing to the Southward, and after a chase of 6 hours ran ashore into a mangrove swamp was detained by Lieut Ross in the ship's pinnace ; this, a smaller dhow Name Unknown, of only 53 tons. During the chase the crew of the dhow were seen driving a large number of adult slaves on shore, and carrying off the boys and girls, so that by the time they boarded she was deserted ; no colours or papers could be found, and she was fully equipped for the Slave Trade ; and being unfit for a voyage to a port of adjudication was destroyed, the case being sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

12 Sep 1861 arrive Magadoxa, and started searching for slave ships, being outside the treaty limits.

14 Sep 1861 Lieut Ross, in the ship's pinnace, while cruizing off Mombaza, observed a dhow Name Unknown, of 66 tons, running into Mombaza / Mombasa, and detained her. Upon being searched she was found fully equipped for the Slave Trade, with a crew of thirteen men, but colours or papers. After the crew were landed she was destroyed, being found unfit for a voyage to a port of adjudication and the case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

16 Sep 1861 Lieut Ross, while cruizing in the pinnace, accompanied by the whale-boat, under the command of Sub-Lieut Price, off Melinda, stood into that anchorage for water, when they saw three dhows Names Unknown at anchor in the roadstead and a smaller dhow shoving off from the shore with forty or fifty armed men on board, apparently bound to the dhows. Upon the attempt of the boats to intercept the dhow with the armed men, the Arabs opened fire, and the crew of the other dhows jumped overboard and swam on shore ; this fire was returned with musketry and grape and canister from the pinnace's howitzer. After several of the Arabs had been killed and wounded, the remainder escaped to the shore. The dhows were then searched, under a heavy fire from shore, and captured as follows :—
a dhow of 192 tons, found deserted and without colours or papers, and fully equipped for the Slave Trade ;
a dhow of 101 tons, found deserted and no colours or papers, and fully equipped for the Slave Trade ;
a dhow of 81 tons, found deserted and without colours or papers, and fully equipped for the Slave Trade ;
a dhow of 51 tons, Name Unknown the same one which had resisted and was afterwards abandoned, was found deserted, with the exception of a negro, who stated that the other three dhows had landed 180 slaves, who were on shore while the vessels were being cleaned and watered, and that when these slaves were reshipped and more obtained, the dhows would proceed on their voyage to the Persian Gulf and he added, that the dhow which he was in was also destined to carry a cargo of slaves to the Persian Gulf, in company with the others. She had no colours or papers, and was completely fitted for the Slave Trade ; all four were destroyed as being unseaworthy, and their cases sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

30 Sep 1861 Mr. Hansan, the boatswain, in command of the pinnace detained a matapi Name Unknown (East African sailing vessel) of 75 tons, while cruizing in Manda Bay, when in company with the whale-boat and gig, all under the command of Mr. Inglis, master of the Gorgon. The vessel was observed coming out of the bay, and after a chase of about twenty minutes (during which as exchange of fire was maintained) before she ran on shore into the mangroves. Upon being boarded, she was found deserted, with no colours or papers, and cleared of everything. During the chase, a crowd of people were observed on board, more in number than her crew could consist of, whom the captors believed must have been slaves, and who were carried into the bush when the vessel was beached ; otherwise there could be no cause to avoid search, the object of the Gorgon's boat being well known. As usual with this type of vessel she was destroyed and the case sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned.

3 Oct 1861 the gig and whale-boat under command of Mr. Inglis detained a dhow Name Unknown, of 92 tons, , while lying off Shella Point. When first observed, she was running towards the land, and when it was endeavoured to intercept her, she was run on shore, and the Arab crew were seen with drawn swords driving a crowd of slaves overboard. On being boarded, she was found deserted by her crew with no colours or papers, but fully equipped for the Slave Trade, but still with 44 slaves on board :— 32 males and 12 females. After she was got off the shore, and brought alongside the Gorgon, the slaves were removed to the Gorgon and the dhow being leaky, was allowed to founder ; the case being sent for adjudication to Sierra Leone and sentenced to be condemned. The slaves in these dhows were all conveyed in the Gorgon to Seychelles, and handed over to the Civil Commissioner, with the exception of 5 boys, who were brought to Simon's Bay. With respect to these lads the Court does not appear to have made any order, and it is understood that they remain on board Her Majesty's ship Gorgon.

Circa 13 Oct 1861 one of the boats crews stops off at Mombasa, and receives a good reception from the locals, but less so from the Arabs.

15 Oct 1861 en route for Melinda, now known as Melindi? and a close call with a reef, and the slave dhows seem to have disappeared and gone north.

24 Oct 1861 one of the boats discovers the delights of Lamoo. With so much time being spent away in the boats, on the coast, etc., many of the officers and men are feeling the effects and have a fever, presumably malaria, and a visit to the Seychelles is called for.

17 Nov 1861 depart Mahé, Seychelles, having refitted the rigging etc., and acquired wood for the furnaces.

29 Dec 1861 arrive back at Zanzibar, light winds delaying the arrival of the ship, and meaning that for the last few weeks the ship has been on short rations and that scurvy has made an appearance and start loading 100 tons of coal, along with water and provisions etc. for our passage to Johanna.

9 Jan 1862 arrive Johanna, in the Comoros.

12 Jan 1862 depart Johanna, heading south, to Mozambique and then to the Zambesi River.

17 Jan 1862 arrive Mozambique, where they were joined by Mrs. Livingstone.

22 Jan 1862 depart Mozambique for Quillimane, with the Livingstone's party, where they arrive on the 25th, but were held up by the roughness of the water on the bar.

31 Jan 1862 arrived off the mouth of the Congoni, where they find Livingstone's vessel the Pioneer.

1 Feb 1862 the commanding officer and some officers and men assist the Livingstone party to prepare for the journey to Lake Nyasa, and then proceed with the party until near the end of February, when, a part of the party return down the river, most of them arriving back on board about 5 Mar., with the Gorgon's ship's company on reduced rations. Bad weather, few provisions and little coal, meant the Gorgon had to leave the mouth of the Congoni for Mozambique.

12 Mar 1862 arrive at Mozambique, many of the ship's company down with fever.

19 Mar 1862 depart Mozambique for Johanna where mail awaits them, and where they arrive on the 21st.

24 Mar 1862 depart Johanna for the mouth of the Congoni, with the health of the ship's company improving, although some 40 are still suffering from fever and or rheumatics.

2 Apr 1862 return to the mouth of the Congoni, where the remainder of the officers and men have returned down river, most of them looking as though they should be in hospital, and Mrs. Livingstone not long to live. With all the RN personnel, and ladies, back on board, sail for Mozambique, for provisions etc. before departing for the Cape and cooler weather in which to recover their health.

26 Apr 1862 return to Simon's Town, where amongst other things the claims for prize money for the slave dhows were taken to Cape Town where they were lodged with proctors, to properly present to the Vice-Admiralty Court to condemn or otherwise, whilst the Gorgon was refitted.

Circa 18 Jun 1862 depart Simon's Town for Mauritius and Madagascar, via Algoa Bay (22nd inst.) for a few hours for the Captain to meet his brother.

6 Jul 1862 arrive Port Louis, Mauritius.

12 Jul 1862 depart Port Louis.

15 Jul 1862 arrive Tamatave.

23 Jul 1862 depart Tamatave for Port Louis, via Bourbon.

27 Jul 1862 off Bourbon, but since vessels formerly from Mauritius will have to undergo quarantine for 21 days, just leave some mail for onward transmission.

28 Jul 1862 arrive Port Louis, and go into dock to have the hull inspected.

31 Jul 1862 taken out of dock and coal ship, and take some time off to relax.

30 Aug 1862 depart Port Louis.

5 Sep 1862 arrive Tamatave.

6 Sep 1862 depart Tamatave.

10 Sep 1862 arrive Port Louis.

26 Sep 1862 depart Port Louis.

3 Oct 1862 arrive Tamatave.

7 Oct 1862 depart Tamatave.

12 Oct 1862 arrive Port Louis, and then, and coal and provision the Gorgon.

15 Oct 1862 depart Port Louis.

24 Oct 1862 arrive Johanna.

27 Oct 1862 start preparing the ship's boats and their crews for the forthcoming boat cruising season, when the monsoon season starts and the dhows embark their human cargoes and head north, although they are already a little late in the season and most of the experienced officers have left the ship, plus the Treaties appear to have been amended, and whilst American boats can now be boarded, and the Zanzibar limits ignored, the orders regarding the destruction of dhows etc. are more limiting, but the boats soon depart on their business.

31 Oct 1862 where one of the Penguin's boats came alongside, reporting that they had been detached from the Penguin 300 miles to the north of Zanzibar, with orders to rendez-vous in 14 days, but following the loss of a whaler by swamping, and with 2 crews in the cutter, they had headed back to Zanzibar, against both the wind and current, and had been waiting at Zanzibar a month for the Penguin, and had to rely on the generosity of the Hamburgh Consul for food, and weren't best pleased at their treatment by their Captain, which was echoed by some of the the Gorgons, who were soon on their way to Lamoo to look for the Penguin and perhaps find a dhow or two ?

3 Nov 1862 arrive at Lamoo, and depart the following day, leaving a cutter off the harbour in the event of any late slavers coming that way. Not very comfortable for the boat's crew, being without an awning to protect them from the sun, rain and heavy dew, and due to the monsoon and high seas the consequent surf makes it almost impossible to get ashore safely.

6 Nov 1862 off Brava. Inspect a dhow, which turns out to be legitimate.

8 Nov 1862 depart Brava and return to Zanzibar.

10 Nov 1862 detained in lat. 40° 46' S. a slave dhow, Name Unknown, which was leaky and destroyed, and the case was sent for adjudication and sentenced to be condemned.

3 Dec 1862 depart Zanzibar for the Seychelles.

11 Dec 1862 arrive Port Victoria, Seychelles.

24 Dec 1862 depart for the East African Coast.

Circa 11 Jan 1863 arrive Zanzibar prepare for another monsoon season cruising for slave dhows, and on leaving Zanzibar send out the ship's boats in pairs to cruise for slave dhows, and then rendez-vous with the cruisers and move them north as the season develops. The Gorgon stops and searches various prey, but they all "appear" legitimate, although the ship's boats appear to have been more successful.

19-22 Jan 1863 detained 3 slave dhows, Names Unknown, which were leaky and destroyed, and the case was sent for adjudication and sentenced to be condemned.

27 Jan 1863 pick up the ship's boats and head for Lamoo, dropping them again between Zanzibar and Brava, before going on to Johanna. 10 Feb 1863 at Lamoo.

12 Feb 1863 depart Lamoo for Johanna, where they arrive on the 19th inst. to find the Ariel and Rapid already there.

19 Feb 1863 arrive at Johanna.

20 Feb 1863 ship's boats detained a slave dhow, Name Unknown, which was leaky and destroyed, and the case was sent for adjudication and sentenced to be condemned.

27 Feb 1863 ship's boats detained a slave dhow, Name Unknown, which was leaky and destroyed, and the case was sent for adjudication and sentenced to be condemned.

28 Feb 1863 departed Johanna for Zanzibar for provisions etc., having no soap or rum.

6 Mar 1863 ship's boats detained a slave dhow, Name Unknown, which was leaky and destroyed, and the case was sent for adjudication and sentenced to be condemned.

6 Mar 1863 Gorgon arrives Zanzibar, where she finds the Ariel has already arrived, but once provisioned sails on the 8th to cruise for slave dhows between Melinda Sound and Zanzibar.

11 Mar 1863 arrive at Lamoo, departing on the 13th for Tola Island, but unable to make it, arrived at Port Durnford on the 15th inst.

22 Mar 1863 arrived Melinda, departing the following day for Zanzibar, arriving there on 28th.

4 Apr 1863 depart Zanzibar for the last time for Pouna Point, for a non-existent appointment with the Penguin, and thence to Johanna.

15 Apr 1863 steer a course for Mohilla, in the Comoros, arriving on the 20th, and after a brief stay depart for the sister island of Johanna, where they arrive in the afternoon.

30 Apr 1863 arrive at Port Mozambique.

20 May 1863 having departed pass Natal, arrive at Algoa Bay in time to make good on low provisions and coal, departing on the 28th inst. having celebrated the marriage of Prince of Wales.

4 Jun 1863 arrive at Simon's Bay.

1 Jan to 11 Feb 1864 Irregular or particular service. Medical report : number of Cases of Disease and Injury.

11 Feb 1864 paid off ie when the Ship Record and Establishment Books ADM 115/439 was closed.

Extract of a letter from an Officer of the Gorgon, dated 23rd June, 1844, North Shore, Montevideo Bay :- For your amusement I shall write a rough account of our plans. The Pampara which drove us on shore was the heaviest that has been experienced for twenty-eight years, and the tide, which is always influenced (as you well know) by the wind in this river, is proportionately high. When the weather and tide abated, we were firmly fixed upright on our keel in the sand, to the depth of eight feet fore and aft. Nearly all round the ship was quite dry; about four feet under the stern, the surface of the water came up to the eight feet water mark on our stern-post, and as we drew sixteen feet of water, you will observe that we are now eight feet above, or higher up in the world than we wish to be. The main difficulty in getting her off is, that when the water rises three or four feet, so as to afford a prospect of heaving off, the wind must blow right in, and soon fills up all our excavations round the ship, which have been making for the purpose of freeing her from the sand, the adhesion of which is very great : however, we persist in digging daily, and improve our plans of banking out the sand.

You know the character of originality and ingenuity by which sailors are so distinguished, and our operations here give us full scope for them. We have two or three times dug away the sand from the ship as far under as was safe to go ; we are driving piles on each side, to prevent fresh sand from washing in ; that which we have removed being carried high up the beach, and by measurement it amounts to much more than five thousand tons. Under the bilge on each side we have placed ways of large timbers bolted together. About five yards astern of the ship the sand ends and mud commences, so that should we be enabled to move her about half her own length, all will be safe, although she will not be afloat until hauled out nearly a mile, as the water now is; but mud does not hold a ship's bottom in the sucking and adhesive manner that sand does.

To haul off by, we have two 24-inch cables, attached to anchors of 60 and 74 cwt., and backed by others of 60 and 35 cwt.; one cable is taken to one paddle shaft, and a single whip (the fall being a 17-inch cable), one part secured low down to the stem-post and the other paddle-shaft. This manoeuvre is for the purpose of lifting her stern as well as hauling her on end ; the engines, of course, work these our principal purchases. We have two heavy treble purchases from our starboard bow to anchors sunk in the sand near her starboard quarter, and worked by two capstans and 100 men, the capstans being sunk in the sand. As the ship is not on end to the beach, but nearly at an angle of 45 degrees with it, her starboard being the inshore side, we have anchors and cables laid out on the port quarter, which have purchases on them, and are worked by the ship's capstans. Under the bows we have six or eight powerful screws (such as are used for lifting great weights, pressing wool, cotton, &c.. the largest lifts eighty tons, and the smallest twenty tons), placed so as to lift and force the ship at the same time astern. It would take sheets of paper to describe them all, so you must use your imagination to supply the place of a better description. The ship sits upright on her ways, her masts and bowsprit are out, in fact everything but the engine. We have taken 400 tons out of her, and should all other means fail, her engines must come out ; they weigh 237 tons.

We must then place the ship nearly on her broadside, on a cradle prepared for that purpose, and thus launch her with battened hatches. If our present plans succeed, which there is every reason to expect, we shall get off whenever it blows a good pampara; and as it is now the beginning of the winter here, we shall have plenty of them soon. It will then take us two months to refit for England, and about the same time to get there, If the engines come out you may expect us about three months latter. We have every assistance from the foreign men-of-war; anchors, cables, &c., and 130 men from our own squadron, in all about 320 living on board. We have also a mud machine, clearing away astern of us; which has removed 300 tons of that commodity. The men and officers work very cheerfully; we are frequently at work both night and day, not Sunday excepted. This is Sunday, and they are singing away, pile-driving, mud-heaving, and sand-digging, as happy as possible. The weather is often cold, but serene. General Oribe has been most kind and attentive to us, the ship being ashore in that part of the bay which is in his possession."