| Previous Page | Next Page | Index
Type: Penang cruiser ;
Disposal date or year : 1826
1824 - 1826 Burmese War
On the 4th of August  600 men, with some gun-boats, were detached up the Syriam river. Near the landing-place an old Portuguese fort was discovered, standing on the summit of a hill which commanded the entrance of the Pegu river. The troops were landed under cover of the fire from the Jessy and the Powerful. A deep nullah having for some time checked the advance of the British, Captain Marryat caused a bridge to be thrown across it, when, notwithstanding the heavy fire which the fort maintained, the advance was sounded, and the fort taken. The like success attended Lieutenant-colonel M. Kelly of the Madras European regiment, who was detached to the Syriam pagoda, which the Burmese seemed inclined to defend ; but they were driven from their stronghold without much opposition, leaving behind them some artillery and stores.