Naval Database

| Hooghly | Krishna | Mohr | Pluto | Saracen | Tonze
| Index

Mohr / Mehr / Moher / More / Mohur, various spellings so far discovered.... 1860
Type: gun-boat ; Armament ?
Launched : at Kidderpore Dockyard 1859 ;
Acquired : circa 1860 ; Disposal date or year : circa 1866 ?
Displacement : 100 tons ; Notes:

1859 noted as being completed at Kidderpore Dockyard.
Whilst not RN vessels the Tonze and Mohr &c. are invariably referred to as HM Steam gun-boats or similar, but really belonged to the Singapore Government, but by the sound of it not of much use ie in "An anecdotal history of old times in Singapore, from the ... Volume 2 "The Calcutta Government saddled the Straits with 2 inefficient craft that caused "more expense than a new vessel." There were at this time two old Thames penny-steamboats, called the Tonze and Mohr, of about 80 to 100 tons each, which used to lie in the harbour, and were supposed to be useful against pirates.

10 Apr 1860 H.M. Steamer Mohr departed Singapore for China ; 11 Apr 1860 H.M. Steamer Tonge (should be Tonze) departed Singapore for China ; H.M. Gunboat Ringdove, departed Singapore for Hong Kong ; H.M. Gunboat Snake departed Singapore for Hong Kong, via Sarawak ; H.M. Gunboat Reynard, RN, departed Singapore for Hong Kong, 13 Apr H.M. steamer Odin, RN, departed Singapore for Hong Kong ; 14 Apr H.M. India Steamer Arracan for Hong Kong with the ship Queen of England in tow ; 15 Apr H.M. Indian Steamer Prince Arthur for Calcutta ; 16 Apr H.M. Indian Steamer Dryade, departed Singapore for China ; H.M. Indian Steamer Feroze, departed Singapore for Hong Kong ; 20 Apr H.M. Steamer Encounter (RN) departed Singapore for Hong Kong.

i.e. in view of their shall draught both the Mohr and Tonze were taken by Admiral Hope for use in Rivers during the second China War / Opium War.

18 Jun 1860 the Tonze was at Hong Kong per London Evening Standard of 27 Aug, [By Ed : but like many of these bits of news there is rarely any mention of the Mohr, although one would expect them to be together, unless her German sounding name has caused correspondents to think she was one of the Prussian vessels ?]

28 Nov 1860 in the River Peiho, where the temperature is down below freezing e.g. 15->20F and there is ice in the river and movement for the gun boats is difficult. All the vessels had departed Tien-tsin before they were iced in for the winter. Adm Hope in the Coromandel, who hijacked the Tonze and Mohr for the Chinese campaign, arrived at the mouth of the river on the 21st. Lord Elgin came down in the Tonze and transferred to the Ferooz and departed for Shanghae. The gun boats have been busy embarking the cavalry and horses of the artillery batteries who marched down from Tien-tsin to the Peiho Forts. General Napier and staff left on the 19th in the Royal Indian Navy steamer Berenice for Hong Kong and England. per Hampshire Telegraph 2 Feb 1861.

13 Jun 1861 arrived Singapore harbour HM Steamer Mohr, Capt Hand.

19 June 1861 Singapore Free Press reported Pinang, the Governor, we are glad to hear has at last succeeded in obtaining for the Straits the services of 2 gun boats. They are both pretty craft, each measuring 80 feet long, 16 feet beam, drawing 3 feet water. They are paddle wheel steamers and have excellent engines of 50 horse power, which propel them at a rate of 9 or 10 miles an hour. The Mohur (sic) is to be stationed at Malacca, and the Tonze here, in lieu of the present gun boats. They will be great acquisitions to the Straits, and just the kind of vessels required to cruise about the coast and scour the rivers and creeks. They are so low and so small a draft that the men can jump into the water and shove them off any sand bank that they come up against.

21 Nov 1861 HM Gun boat Mohr, departed Singapore, for Pinang.

1 Dec 1861 the Tonze and the Mohr arrived Singapore from Pinang under tow of the P&O Co.'s Steam Ship Bombay.

26 Dec 1861 the Tonze, Cdr Noyes, and Mohr, Cdr Warwick, at Singapore.

2 Jan 1862 in Singapore harbour.
25 Feb 1862, Argus, A CASE OF COURTESY - We have much pleasure in recording a great act of courtesy on the part of Rear Admiral Bonnard, the newly appointed commander-in-chief of the French naval squadron in the East India and China seas. Our readers are aware that the mail steamer Bombay (which vessel had just been fitted with new boilers, superheating apparatus, new screw shaft &c ) broke down soon after leaving Penang, with the London mall of the 4th to 10th October on board, and that the mails were conveyed to Singapore by the East India Company's steamer Mohr. Admiral Bonnard had just arrived at that port in the mitti? and had made arrangements to proceed to Batavia in the steamer Granada (chartered to the French Government by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company) ; but finding that there was no chance of the mail being convoyed on to China, the Admiral on this account altered his destination, and proceeded to Saigon in the Granada, ordering the services off that vessel to take on the mails to China, Tho admiral, we hear, would not even allow the agent of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company to supply the costs, which he offered to do, saying that he "was only too happy to be of service to the British Government and the mercantile community in China." Without such assistance we could not have had our mail until the arrival of the next steamer, expected here about the 10th inst ; and we trust that the proper authorities will fail to convey to Admiral Bonnard the thanks of the community for his substantial politeness, as such acts cannot fail to cement the friendly feeling now existing between the two countries. The following note on the subject has been sent us:-
"On leaving Penang on the 13th inst., the Bombay suddenly broke her main shaft, consequently became unfit to proceed with the mails. Captain Forsyth, R.N.. who was in charge of H.M. mails, applied to Major Mann, the resident, to allow the Mohr, then lying in the roads, to convoy the mails to Singapore, which he at once granted. On the morning of the 16th, Captain Forsyth, finding the Mohr making very little way, and meeting the local boat Tonze, requested the commander of that vessel to take them in tow.
After the Mohr's engines were got into proper working order, the Tonze having towed her about thirty-six miles, she cast off tow-rope, and arrived at Singapore on the 17th. There being no steamer at that port available to take the mail on to China, and Captain Forsyth finding Admiral Bonnard, the new French commander-in-chief, who was about to proceed to Batavia in the Granada, applied, in conjunction with the P. and O. Company's agent, to him for his assistance in forwarding the mails. Admiral Bonnard immediately, and in the most courteous manner possible, agreed to receive the mails on board his ship, having every available space in her filled up with coals, so that there should be no stoppage for taking in a supply of fuel on her passage.
After landing at Saigon on the 23rd, he at once ordered the Granada to proceed to Hong Kong, where she arrived on the 2nd instant, after having encountered most strong weather, and having had a dead beat against a strong N.E. monsoon. The mails were thus only eight days behind time.-China Mail, Dec 5.

30 Apr 1862 per the Pinang Gazette, and Argus of late April attempts to enforce compensation from the Larut / Laroot Chiefs for the losses sustained by the Pinang Chinese miners in the recent disturbances there, had not been successful, the money not being paid as instructed and the Pera Chiefs have been called upon to give effect to the demand and enforce it by establishing a blockade of the Larut River. On 30 Apr 1862 the Tonze and Mohr departed Penang, one for Pera, the other for Larut, and all trading between the two places has been suspended, passes for Larut being refused by the Government, which measures it is hoped will have the desired effect. The Tonze has enforced the blockade since 1 May, and the Mohr has joined her with a party of native artillery men to work the guns should it be necessary. No passes are being issued to vessels wanting to proceed there ; the Mohr departed for Larut on 6 May.

7 Jun 1862 the Pinang Gazette reports the return of the Tonze and the More (sic) from Larut on Monday afternoon with 1,440 slabs of tin weighing 740 piculs, which was given by the Resident Councillor on payment of Sp Drs 17,832.20 and the balance of the claim has since been paid. Of the total amount of $22,447.54, $14,447.04 is compensation for losses, $500 a fine for the murder which will be paid to the relatives of the deceased, and $5,000 is retained by the Government to cover the costs of the blockade....along with much else regarding the behaviour of the Chiefs, and how well the spice industry was doing.

20 Nov 1862 in Singapore harbour.

26 Feb 1863 the Mohr, Commander Warwick, in Singapore Harbour for repairs.

23 Apr 1863 in Singapore Harbour for repairs.

22 June 1866 sold by Singapore Government and registered at Singapore #14 Official Number 49389 ; steamer 57 18/94 nrt, MNL 1870 Listed erroneously as a sail vessel ; owned by William Paterson, Singapore ; MNL 1880 not listed.