Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Rosario, 1808
Type: Brig-sloop ; Armament 8 x 18-pdr. carronades ; 2 x long sixes
Launched : 1808 ; Disposal date or year : 1832

21 Jul 1810 with the homeward-bound Baltic convoy, of about 200 sail, off Rob's Snout, under the protection of the Lynx, Clio, Snake, Rosario, Gluckstadt, and Centinel, with the Tartar, Rose, and Primrose following at some distance astern, [presumably with a view to preventing enemy gun boats sneaking up from astern, and picking off the slower vessels in the convoy.]

15-16 Nov 1810 whilst cruising off Dungeness, captured the French lugger-privateer Mamelouck, of Boulogne, whilst another escaped.

Deal 30 Apr 1811 Arrived with the schooner Hope, recaptured last night off Dover.

Portsmouth 14 May 1811 Arrived with convoy from the Downs.

Deal 2 Sep 1811 Sailed with convoy for Portsmouth.

Portsmouth 3 Sep 1811 Arrived with a convoy from the Downs.

Portsmouth 27 Sep 1811 Arrived from Cork.

Portsmouth 13 Oct 1811 Sailed with a convoy, for the Downs.

Deal 14 Oct 1811 Arrived from the coast of France.

Deal 2 Dec 1811 Arrived, having been driven off her station by stress of weather, sailing later in the day to resume her station, the gale having abated.

27 Mar 1812 off Dieppe, Rosario, and the Griffon capture 3 gun-brigs and drove 2 on-shore out of a flotilla of 12 brigs and a lugger standing alongshore.

Portsmouth 7 Sep 1812 Has made signal for the convoy bound to the Downs to get under weigh.

Deal 17 Nov 1812 Arrived from a cruise.

Portsmouth 2 Dec 1812 Sailed for the Downs.

Deal 28 Feb 1813 Sailed on a cruize of Dungeness and the French coast.

Harwich 23 May 1813 Is reported to have arrived at Heligoland on Monday last ; went on shore for two or three hours, and immediately afterwards proceeded up the Elbe.

Harwich 23 May 1813 Reports are received of the arrival of the Duke of Brunswick at Heligoland in the Rosario, now proceeding to Hamburgh up the Elbe.

Harwich 30 May 1813 Arrived last evening.

Portsmouth 25 Jul 1813 Was released from quarantine this evening.

Portsmouth 24 Jul 1813 Arrived from Folkstone and was placed under quarantine, for having had communication with a ship from the Mediterranean.

Portsmouth 26 Jul 1813 Released from Quarantine.

Portsmouth 4 Aug 1813 Sailed with a convoy, for the Downs.

Deal 7 Sep 1813 Arrived, driven in yesterday from their cruising ground off the French cost by the strong south wind.

Portsmouth 16 Dec 1813 Put back with her convoy of 9 vessels, but have sailed again this afternoon for the Downs.

Plymouth 12 Mar 1814 Sailed for Passages.

Deal 16 Mar 1814 Sailed with a convoy to Portsmouth.

Deal 26 May 1814 Sailed with a convoy of transports for Holland.

Deal 2 Aug 1814 Arrived from off the French coast.

Deal 22 Aug 1814 Arrived from Cuxhaven.

Deal 24 Aug 1814 Remains.

Portsmouth 28 Aug 1814 Arrived from the Westward.

Portsmouth 4 Sep 1814 Sailed for the eastward.

Deal 6 Sep 1814 Arrived from Portsmouth, and sailed for Hamburgh.

Portsmouth 21 Sep 1814 Arrived from Hamburgh.

Deal 5 Oct 1814 Arrived from Boulogne.

Deal 10 Oct 1814 Sailed with dispatches for Ostend.

Deal 12 Oct 1814 Arrived from Ostend.

Deal 30 Oct 1814 Sailed for Portsmouth.

Portsmouth 31 Oct 1814 Arrived from the Downs, the Downs establishment being broken up.

Portsmouth 17 Nov 1814 Sailed for the Downs.

Deal 27 Nov 1814 Remains.

Portsmouth 26 Dec 1814 Arrived from the Downs.

Deal 30 Mar 1815 Sailed for Ostend.

Torbay 22 Aug 1815 Remains in the bay.

Portsmouth 27 Jan 1816 Arrived from Cork.

Portsmouth 8 Oct 1816 At Spithead or in harbour.

Circa 1 Jan 1817, at Portsmouth. The peace establishment/complement reduced to 65.

Portsmouth 23 Aug 1817 Arrived from a cruise.

Portsmouth 27 Aug 1817 Sailed on a cruise.

Portsmouth 2 Sep 1818 Arrived from a cruise.

Portsmouth 22 Sep 1818 Sailed on a cruise.

Portsmouth 16 Dec 1818 Arrived from a cruise.

Portsmouth 5 Sep 1819 Arrived from a cruise and has since come into harbour to refit.

St Helena 14 Jun 1820 Lying at that Island.

Portsmouth 2 Oct 1821 Remains at Spithead.

Portsmouth 5 Oct 1821 Sailed to cruise off Weymouth where Lieut. White of the Preventive service has seized 82 casks of spirits, and a cask of tea,; and Lieut. Sparks creeped up 43 tubs off Portland.

Jul 1830 Portsmouth.

Rosario and Griffon with French flotilla
On the 27th of March, 1812, at 8 h. 30 m. A. M., the town of Dieppe bearing south-west distant four or five miles, the British brig-sloop Rosario, of eight 18-pounder carronades and two long sixes, Captain Bootey Harvey, observed a flotilla of 12 brigs and one lugger standing alongshore. This was the 14th division of the Boulogne flotilla, commanded by Capitaine de vaisseau Louis-Pierre-Francois-Ricard-Barthelemi Saizieu. Each brig mounted three long 24-pounders and an 8-inch brass howitzer, with a complement of 50 men. The commodore had sailed from Boulogne at 10 P. M. on the 26th, and was bound to Cherbourg. As the Rosario made sail to cut off the leewardmost of these 12 brigs, the whole, by signal from the commodore, formed in line, and severally engaged the British brig while passing on the opposite tack ; and when the Rosario luffed up to cut off the sternmost brig, the remaining 11 and the lugger bore down to support their friend and close with the daring enemy.

Fording them thus determined to support each other, and the Rosario's small force not justifying the risk of being laid on board by several such opponents at once, Captain Harvey, with the signal flying for an enemy, bore up to a brig which he then observed in the offing. The moment the latter, which was the brig-sloop Griffon, of fourteen 24- pounder carronades and two sixes, Captain George Trollope, answered the signal, the Rosario again hauled to the wind, and at 40 minutes past noon recommenced harassing the rear of the flotilla, then endeavouring, under all sail, to get into Dieppe. The Rosario tacked and wore occasionally, in order to close, receiving each time the fire of the whole line. At 1 h. 30 m. P. M., being far enough to windward, the Rosario most gallantly ran into the body of the French flotilla, and, by cutting away the running rigging of the two nearest brigs, drove them on board of each other : she then, backing her main topsail, engaged them within musket-shot, until they were clear, and afterwards stood on and engaged a third brig ; who, losing her mainmast and fore topmast by the board, dropped her anchor. Passing her, the Rosario drove the next brig in line on shore. Two more brigs of the flotilla yet remained to leeward. Bearing up for these, the Rosario, at that time not more than three quarters of a mile from the shore, ran the nearest brig on board, and quickly carried her.

So far the Rosario had acted alone, the Griffon, with all her exertions, not having yet arrived within gun-shot. While, however, the Rosario was bearing away with her prize, clear of the batteries, Captain Harvey passed and hailed his friend, directing him to chase the remaining brig of the two which the Rosario had last attacked with so much success. The Griffon immediately proceeded on the service, and drove the French brig on shore near St.-Aubin, under a very heavy fire from the batteries. Seeing no probability of the Griffon's being able to destroy the brig, Captain Harvey, who was occupied in removing his prisoners and repairing the running rigging of the Rosario, signalled the Griffon to attack the remaining nine brigs of the flotilla in the south-east, then anchoring close in- shore. In obedience to this signal, the Griffon ran in-shore of one of the brigs at anchor near the centre, and, in the most gallant manner boarded and carried her. Captain Trollope then cut the cables of his prize, and stood out with her, in the face of a heavy fire from the batteries, and from the remaining eight French brigs.

Finding as the Griffon passed him, that she was too much disabled in her rigging immediately to renew the attack, yet determined, although his prisoners already equalled his sloop's company, to have another of the brigs, Captain Harvey ran on board the brig which the Rosario, by her fire, had previously dismasted ; and which, unknown to him at the time, an account of the darkness of the evening, had just been abandoned by her crew. While, with their three prizes, the Rosario and Griffon stood out to the offing, leaving two other brigs on shore, the French commodore, with the seven remaining brigs of his flotilla, got under way and entered Dieppe. In this truly gallant exploit, no other loss appears to have been sustained on the British side, than one midshipman, Jonathan Widdicomb Dyer, who conducted himself most nobly, and four men wounded, on board the Rosario. It is pleasant to be able to state, that merit met its reward : Captain Harvey was made post, and Mr. Dyer a lieutenant, on the same day, the 31st of March.