Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Severn, 1813
Type: 4th Rate ; Armament 50
Launched : 1813 ; Disposal date or year : 1825

1813 some comments on the design and building of the Forth, Liffey, Severn, Glasgow, and Liverpool.

30 Jun 1813 Lieut Gammon was appointed first of the Severn, Captain Nourse, fitting out for the North American station, where he was most actively employed until the final cessation of hostilities in 1815.

11 Oct 1813 put back to the Downs by contrary winds and remains with an outward-bound convoy.

20 Oct 1813 hoisted a signal at Spithead for the Bermuda and Halifax convoys.

25 Oct 1813 will sail tomorrow with a convoy for North America.

28 Oct 1813 is now ready for sea, and will proceed tomorrow with convoys for Bermuda and Halifax.

28 Nov 1813 departed Spithead with a convoy for Bermuda and Bahamas.

18-19 Jan 1814 chased by two French 40-gun frigates, Etoile and Sultane, in order to lead them away from her Bermuda bound convoy.

1 May 1814 captured a U.S. privateer, the 9 gun schooner Yankee, with 80 men.

4 Jul 1814 the Severn arrived in Chesapeake bay. 19 Jul-12 Aug the arrival of a battalion of marines, and a detachment of marine artillery enabled the squadron to mount further expeditions ashore using the ships' boats of the Albion, Dragon, Loire, Jasseur, Narcissus, Severn and St.-Lawrence.

20 Aug 1814 the frigates Severn and Hebrus, brig-sloop Manly sent up the river Patuxent to follow the boats up the river as far as might prove practicable.

Aug 1814 a portion of the prize money resulting from the various actions in the Chesapeake became due for payment on 1 May 1835 : namely a dividend from the estate of the bankrupt agent Henry Abbott : no doubt one of the many fraudsters who ripped off matelots in those days : both officers and ratings being fair game.

13 Sep 1814 Severn, Euryalus, Havannah, and Hebrus up the Patapsco in preparation for an attack on Baltimore, which was aborted and the frigates withdrew on the 14th.

7 Oct 1814, the Severn arrived Halifax, from the Chesapeake, with the brigs Rifleman, and Jasseur.

12 Nov 1814, arrived Bermuda.

20 Dec 1814 captured a U.S. privateer, the 4 gun schooner Banyer, with 31 men.

Circa Dec 1814 captured a U.S. privateer, the 9 gun brig Ind, with 130 men.

18 Mar 1815, wind and weather etc. permitting, was supposed to be departing Charleston, at the end of the war.

26 Aug 1815 arrived Plymouth.

31 Aug 1815 arrived Spithead from Plymouth.

19 Feb 1816 Capt. the Hon. F.W. Aylmer is appointed to the Severn, 40, at Chatham.- Lieut. James Davies, and Samuel Haydon, Purser, are also appointed to her.

28 Jul 1816 departed as a part of a fleet of 19 vessels from Plymouth Sound, for Gibraltar and the bay of Algiers.

9 Aug 1816 the fleet arrived at Gibraltar, where it joined the Dutch squadron, which had arrived the previous evening, and which, it was agreed, would join the expedition. Whilst at Gibraltar the fleet was victualled and preparations made for the forthcoming battle, with gunnery practice &c. taking place.

On his return from the coast of Barbary, in June 1816, Lord Exmouth found that, government had determined to chastise the Algerines for their renewed aggressions, and that he had been selected to command the expedition destined against their capital. Having re-hoisted his flag, his lordship went on board the Boyne and every other ship of his former squadron, in order to procure men for the intended service ; but, astonishing as it may appear, the total number of volunteers did not exceed seven or eight ! Upon hearing this, Captain Chetham immediately waited upon the noble Admiral, and offered the services of the Leander and her crew, stating that he was confident his men would go any where with him. It is almost needless to add, that this spirited offer was thankfully accepted, and that, by return of post, an order was received from the Admiralty for the Leander to be put under Lord Exmouth's immediate directions. The following minutes of the desperate battle in which she was consequently engaged are copied from her log-book, for the purpose of shewing in what a dangerous situation she was placed on the memorable 27th Aug. 1816 :
"At day-light, observed the city of Algiers bearing W.S.W. At eight, light airs inclining to calm. Observed a French frigate working out of the bay. H.M.S. Severn hoisted a flag of truce, and despatched a boat towards the city. At ten, hoisted out all the boats, and prepared them for service. At noon, the French frigate joined company. Observed the Severn's boat pulling out from the city, P.M. at 2-30, Lord Exmouth made the general signal, "Are you ready?" which was immediately answered "Ready." He then made the signal to bear up bore up, Leander within her own length of the commander-in-chief standing in for the mole, observed the enemy's batteries crowded with men, and their gun-boats prepared to board. At 2-40, clewed up our sails, following the motions of the commander-in-chief, who, at 2-45, anchored abreast of the Mole, and within halfpistol-shot. At 2-47, Leander anchored in her station, close a-head of the Queen Charlotte, in five fathoms water, when the enemy opened a most tremendous fire, which was instantly returned by the broadsides of the Queen Charlotte and Leander, the fleet anchoring in the stations assigned them, and opening a vigorous fire. Observed that our fire had totally destroyed the enemy's gun-boats and row-galleys, and defeated their of boarding. The battle now raged with great fury, officers and men failing very fast. At 3-50, an officer of the Hebrus came from the commander-in-chief, with orders to cease firing, to allow the enemy's frigate moored across the Mole to be set on fire, which was done in a gallant style by a boat from the Queen Charlotte. At 3-55, a vigorous firing was recommenced on both sides. Our flat boats throwing rockets with good effect, some magazines were observed to explode. At 4-10, the enemy's frigate burning with great rapidity, and drifting near us, the commander-in-chief sent an officer to direct us to haul out clear of her. At 4-15, the commander-in-chief made the signal for barges and pinnaces. Sent our boats to Queen Charlotte, under the command of Lieutenant (George Mitford) Monke. At 4-30, Lieutenant Monke returned, with orders from the commander-in-chief to keep the boats in readiness to assist the Leander. Perceiving the ship on fire to be drifting past us, kept our station. At 6-30, observed the city on fire in several places, and the Mole-head and other batteries near us almost demolished ; the enemy re-mounting guns, we continuing a smart cannonade.
At seven, found the batteries abreast of us to slacken, but we were greatly cut up from batteries on the starboard bow. Run a hawser to Severn, and hove our broadside to bear on them. At 7-25; the whole of the enemy's ships in the Mole were observed to be on fire ; our masts, yards, sails, and rigging, at this period, so entirely cut to pieces, as to prevent us, if necessary, setting a sail on the ship ; officers and men falling fast, and a great proportion already killed and wounded ; but our fire continued with unabated fury; enemy's fire considerably slackened ; ships on fire drifting near us, hauled on our spring fast to Severn, but found it shot away; made it fast again, and cut the small bower, to haul out of tho way of the ships on fire. At 9-45, the fleet hauling and towing out ; but from the state of the masts, sails, and rigging, found our own exertions ineffectual to haul or tow out ; our hawser, which was fast to Severn, being gone, and no other ship near us. Lowered the gig to send Lieutenant (Thomas) Sanders, to inform Lord Exmouth of our situation, but the boat was sunk, and the jolly boat, which that officer and crew then embarked in, was also sunk a short distance from the ship. The crew being picked up by the flat-boat, she proceeded to the commander-in-chief, who immediately ordered assistance to be sent to us. At 10-30, cut the stern cables, boats towing; made another hawser fast to the Severn, which, with a light air off the shore, enabled us to move out slowly, and clear the ships on fire. Enemy re-commenced a heavy fire of musketry upon us ; fired grape and cannister occasionally to dislodge his small-arm men. At 11-25, ceased firing, the ship drawing fast out of the bay. Light breezes with thunder and lightning. At mid-night answered the signal for the fleet to anchor."

27 Aug 1816 circa 1400 hours, no reply having been received to Lord Exmouth's demands, the ships of the fleet took up their stations and the Battle of Algiers commenced, ceasing about 2200 hours. Account of casualties. Account of powder and shot expended. Conferences &c. held with the Dey following the battle regards the demands of the allies and settlements made : honours and awards. See also p. 226 at

3 Sep the fleet departed from Algiers for Gibraltar and England, although the Severn remained to perform a number of duties following the Battle of Algiers.

Portsmouth 27 Nov 1816 arrived from the Mediterranean, having restored ransom money and slaves from Algiers to Sicily and Naples.

Medals granted to surviving officers, seamen and marines (and soldiers who served as marines) per order of 7th June, 1848

Jun 1817 commenced duties with the Coast Blockade.

31 Aug 1817 has detained and sent into Dover the dogger Vriendship, from Rotterdam, on suspicion of smuggling.

6 Oct 1817 remains in the Downs as a part of the Coast Blockade.

David Peat, under Captain M'Culloch, was attached to the coast blockade. Whilst thus employed, he had several desperate encounters with the Deal smugglers, and received many letters of approbation from the Admiralty and his various superiors. In consequence thereof, he was made a lieutenant on the 24th Nov. 1817. In the summer of the following year, Mr. Peat again joined Captain M'Culloch, then commanding the Severn 50, and was stationed by him at Dungeness, where, amongst other affairs with illicit traders, in which lives were lost, he was once attacked singly, in open day, by three desperadoes, against whom he successfully defended himself, killing one on the spot, and, although possessed of no other weapon than his regulation sword, compelling the others to scamper.

14 Sep 1818 Lt Philip Graham apptd to the Severn, Capt Wm M'Culloch, employed in the suppression of smuggling, on the Kentish coast, until May 1825 ; when he was sent to the King's Bench prison, for four calendar months, by judgment of the Court, for offering a challenge to Robert Earl of Harborough : during his confinement, the Lords of the Admiralty were pleased to honor him with promotion to the rank of commander, by commission dated July 29th, 1825. Some time previous thereto, a smuggler, named Alexander John Spence, was executed at Dover, for attempting to shoot him while in the execution of his duty. In 1830, the Royal Institution for Preserving Lives from Shipwreck, transmitted him their gold medallion for his gallant and humane exertions in rescuing the master and part of the crew of the brig Mountaineer, wrecked near Deal, on her voyage from the Cape to London, when a pilot and three other persons were unfortunately drowned.

4 Nov 1818 Lt Edw Reeves Philip Mainwaring appointed a supernumerary of the Severn, commanding the Kentish coast blockade. 1 Aug 1821 removed to the Ramillies.

4 Oct 1820 Lt Samuel Meredith and appointed as supernumerary to the Severn frigate, Capt Wm M'Culloch, superintendent of the coast blockade.

27 Nov 1821 Is in commission and based on Chatham and Sheerness.

March 1823 ceased duties with the Coast Blockade.

Simon's Bay 22 Sep 1825 arrived from Delagoa Bay with the whaling brig Eleanor, her master and all the crew, except two, dead.