| Previous Page | Next Page | Index
St Vincent, 1815
Type: 1st rate ; Armament 120
Launched : 11 Mar 1815 ; Disposal date or year : 1906
BM: 2612 28/94 tons ; Displacement: 4672 tons
May, 1810 began building at Plymouth. principal dimensions as for the Nelson.
12 Sep 1829 Has been commissioned for the flag ship at Plymouth, in lieu of the Britannia, under orders for the Mediterranean. The St Vincent goes into dock to have her copper inspected.
9 Feb 1830 In Hamoaze.
30 Apr 1830 Was paid off at Plymouth.
1 May 1830 Recommissioned at Plymouth and to sail to Portsmouth.
Jul 1830 Portsmouth.
22 Jan 1831 in harbour at Portsmouth.
A Court-Martial assembled on board his Majesty's ship St. Vincent, in Portsmouth Harbour, on Saturday the 5th February, 1831, to inquire into the circumstances connected with the punishment and death of William Heritage, a boy on board his Majesty's ship North Star, and to try Capt. Lord William Paget for his conduct on the occasion..... That it has been proved to the Court, that the said boy received, during the period of his service on board the North Star, only twelve lashes, according to the established custom of the service; and that the offence committed by the said boy, was sufficient to justify the infliction of the aforesaid punishment ; and farther, that the order for the punishment of the said boy subsequently given, which appears to have led to his jumping overboard, was also justified by the misconduct of the said boy; and the Court adjudged the said Captain the Right Hon. Lord William Paget to be most fully and most honourably acquitted."
17 Feb 1831 in Portsmouth harbour.
19 Feb 1831 To be prepared at Portsmouth for service in the Mediterranean.
25 Apr 1831 was towed out of harbour to Spithead.
13 May 1831 V.-Adm. Hon. Sir Henry Hotham, KCB, hoisted his flag. The ship's company was paid wages.
15 May 1831 departed Portsmouth for the Mediterranean, Capt. Senhouse, in command.
4 Jun 1831 arrived at Gibraltar, from Spithead.
18 Jun 1831 arrived at Malta.
20 Nov 1831 the squadron under the command of Sir Henry Hotham, consisting of the St. Vincent, Ganges, Alfred, and Philomel, were cruising off Sicily.
10 Mar 1832 it is reported at Portsmouth that the complements of the 3-decker ships in commission, St Vincent, Brittania and Caledonia, are each to be reduced by 100 men.
20 Jul 1832 at Napoli di Romania with the flag ship St. Vincent, and some French, Austrian and Russian vessels.
20 Jul 1832 another report states that she was at Napoli di Romannia with the Raleigh when the packet Alban departed for Malta.
4 Sep 1832 at Napoli di Romania with the Barham and Madagascar.
13 Sep 1832 per letters sent to the Hampshire Telegraph it is reported that having surveyed Drapino Bay, near Toulon, what had started off as a pleasant day suddenly turned into a tempest upsetting the boat and drowning all therein except a Greek seaman when clung on the the upturned hull. Those lost were the Second Master, Mr. Harley, and Masters Assistants Roper, Hannah, and Wise.
20 Oct 1832 is has been reported in England that the St. Vincent has been slated in by the Admiralty to join Admiral Parker's squadron off the Tagus, watching the Pedroites / Miguelite brothers' contest unfurl in Portugal, and in the process attempting to keep an eye on British interests, although that would appear to me to be impossible during civil war ? The Flag Officer in the Med., Sir Henry Hotham, is expected to raise his flag in the Barham during the absence of the St. Vincent, although it would appear that during the absence of the St. Vincent from Valetta at Napoli di Romania that the flag has already been transferred to the Barham when she returned to Malta circa 5 Oct ?
24 Oct 1832 arrived Malta.
18 Nov 1832 departed Malta for the Tagus.
5 Dec 1832 arrived Gibraltar having been becalmed on the Spanish coast.
6 Dec 1832 the wind having veered round to the Eastward departed Gib for the Tagus, and on arrival, having touched at Gibraltar was put in quarantine for 10 days.
11 Dec 1832 in the Tagus.
17 Apr 1833 arrived Gibraltar from Lisbon.
8 Jun 1833 at Malta awaiting the arrival of the Flag Officer.
6 Aug 1833 departed Dardanelles for Napoli.
23 Nov 1833 had departed Malta for Vourla Bay.
4 Dec 1833 refitting at Vourla Bay.
18 Feb 1834 driven ashore from her moorings at Valletta.
5 Mar 1834 departed Malta on a short cruise.
23 Mar 1834 In Valletta harbour.
3 Apr 1834 departed Malta for England.
18 Apr 1834, arrived Gibraltar, departing on the 24th inst.
4 May 1834 arrived Spithead, from Malta.
23 May 1834 paid off at Portsmouth and will be taken into dock on Tuesday.
27 Nov 1840 in dock at Portsmouth. 12 Dec 1840 Portsmouth, the caulkers have finished their work. 16 Dec 1840 Portsmouth, has been undocked. 31 Oct 1840, Portsmouth, her masts and yards have been selected. 19 Mar 1841. Portsmouth. has just been completed for the pendant. 5 Apr 1841 Portsmouth, taken out of the basin, for it to be run dry to repair the works of the wood-mills. 2 Oct 1841 is preparing for service as flag ship at Portsmouth. 2 Oct 1841 Captain G. F. Rich, appointed to the Queen (for the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir E. Owen), vice E. Codrington, appointed to the St Vincent. 9 Oct 1841 Second Master H. Jackson, appointed to the St Vincent. 9 Oct 1841 Purser G. V. Oughton (from the Hastings), appointed to the Queen, vice Purser James Nicholls, appointed to the St. Vincent. 9 Oct 1841 Mates W. Horton, J. M. Boyd; and J. C. Snell ; Clerks R. A. Clarke and C. Lyne, additional ; Schoolmaster J. Mallard, appointed to the St. Vincent. 9 Oct 1841 The mates, midshipmen, and volunteers of the Belleisle, paid off at Plymouth, are to be transferred to the St Vincent at Portsmouth. 5 Oct 1841 Portsmouth, the following officers were transferred from the Queen: Captain H. J. Codrington, C.B. ; Lieutenants C. H. Binstead, N. F. Edwards, George Woodhouse, and Charles C. Grey (Flag Lieutenant) ; Master Robert Yule; Rev. John Falls, chaplain ; Surgeon J. Drummond ; Purser James Nicholls; and Assistant-Surgeons W. F. Carter and Alexander Borthwick,. 16 Oct 1841 Assistant-Surgeons A. Adams and Dr. Winchester, appointed to the St Vincent. 16 Oct 1841 Royal Marines : Captain Willis ; and Second Lieutenant A. Stewart, appointed to the St. Vincent. 23 Oct 1841 Portsmouth, The St Vincent has taken up the moorings of the Queen. 23 Oct 1841 Portsmouth, Rendezvous are to be opened in Scotland and Ireland by officers from the St. Vincent and Victory. 30 Oct 1841 Mate L. M. N. Boyd, of the St Vincent, promoted to Lieutenant, and appointed to command the Pantaloon. 6 Nov 1841 Mate W. Dean ; Midshipman John Corbet, appointed to the St Vincent. 13 Nov 1841 Mates E. J. L. Cooper and G. R. Halliday, appointed to the St Vincent. 20 Nov 1841 Lieutenant Hon. A. Villiers ; Assistant Surgeon J. Caldwell ; Midshipman H. Haggart, appointed to the St. Vincent. 27 Nov 1841 Portsmouth, Sir E. Codrington, our Commander-in-Chief, having been promoted from Admiral of the Blue to the White, and the Hon. Admiral Bouverie, of the Dockyard, from Rear-Admiral of the White to the Red, both these officers shifted their respective flags on Friday, on board the St. Vincent and Victory, and exchanged salutes. 4 Dec 1841 Lieutenants Frederick Blair, and John Cheene, appointed to the St. Vincent. 11 Dec 1841 Commander John Hallowes ; Lieutenant Frederick Blair ; Assistant Surgeon W Maitland appointed to the St. Vincent. 18 Dec 1841 Clerk in Charge J. Hayward, appointed to the St Vincent ; Lieutenants John Cheere, Henry St. John George, G. W. Wilkinson, and J. M. Niell Boyd, appointed to the St Vincent 21 Dec 1841 the Emerald is now a tender to the St Vincent. 25 Dec 1841 Mate Alfred Young, appointed to the St Vincent. 28 Dec 1841 in Portsmouth harbour. 13 Aug 1842 Quarter Master Thomas Yarmouth granted a long service pension of £28 4s per annum.
13 Aug 1842 Able Seaman John Turnbull granted a long service pension of £15 4s per annum.
13 Aug 1842 Able Seaman William Embury granted a long service pension of £16 16s per annum.
13 Aug 1842 Able Seaman Henry Gruncell granted a long service pension of £15 4s per annum.
13 Aug 1842 Boatswain's Mate James Lunnaway granted a long service pension of £28 12s per annum.
13 Aug 1842 Captain of the Forecastle, James Trail, granted a long service pension of £27 per annum.
13 Aug 1842 Coxswain of the Yawl Richard Rudd granted a long service pension of £21 per annum.
24 Sep 1842 an experiment is to be tried shortly on Snow Harris' new Lightning Conductors for shipping. The experiment will be made from the Dockyard Semaphore on HM Ships St. Vincent and Orestes.
1 Oct 1842 flag ship of C-in-C Portsmouth, to be rated a second class with a complement of 620.
10 Oct 1842 a court marital was held on board the St. Vincent of a seaman, Wm. Wallis, and a boy named Richard Bailey, of the Emerald for a breach of the 2nd Article of War, and the charge being proved the seaman was sentenced to 100 lashes and the boy to 50, both being dismissed with disgrace.
10 Oct 1842 a court martial was held on board the St. Vincent of the Gunner of the Jaseur for absenting himself without leave and neglect of duty.
5 Nov 1842 ordered to be fitted with Mr. Snow Harris' Lighning Conductors.
1846 Experimental Squadron Portsmouth, Thursday. April 23 The St. Vincent, 120, Captain Sir Richard Grant, having transferred the flag of Admiral Sir Charles Ogle, Bart., the Commander-in-Chief, to the Excellent, gunnery ship, last evening at sunset, went out of harbour this morning, under canvas, to join the experimental squadron at Spithead. St. Vincent. Captain R. B. Grant. -Sir William Rule constructor. 120 guns. 2612 tons. See below for more.
July 1846 St. Vincent, Captain John Shepherd, 120 guns, 2612 tons burden, bearing the flag of the Commodore in command, Sir F. Collier. 1846 The Squadron of Evolution at Cove. Summer Cruise. With respect to the movements of the squadron we are informed, that they are under orders to proceed again to sea after a delay of three days to water - that they will cruise towards Bantry, and anchor for some time in that splendid bay, where, as we are informed, it is intended that the crews and marines shall be landed and exercised in warlike tactics, landing at night, and such like evolutions, the object of the present trials being to exercise the crews and manoeuvre them in naval operations. See below for the full extract from the Cork Southern Reporter.
14 July, 1846. Evolutions for the Squadron of Evolutions See below for the full extract from the Cork Cork Examiner
20 Aug 1846, off the Tagus.
22 Aug 1846, carried out sailing exercises off Lisbon with squadron, including the Hibernia (flag), St Vincent, Queen, Vanguard, Canopus, Rodney, Albion, Rattler, Polyphemus, Raleigh, Constance, Eurydice, and Spartan.
9 Sep 1846, reported to the Admiralty that further sailing trials were carried out by the squadron between Lisbon and Cape St. Vincent.
17 Sep 1846, departed Cadiz with Squadron, the St. Vincent and Queen, being detached to England that evening.
14 Sep 1847 Exercises with Sir Charles Napier's Squadron - see steam sloop Stromboli for details, to avoid duplication of long report.
10 July 1848. Experimental Squadron, Portsmouth - see below for article.
15 July 1848 Sailing of the Squadron Portsmouth - see below for article from the Morning Chronicle dated 17 Jul 1848
20 Dec 1848 Flag ship, Particular service.
28 Jan 1856 Lieut. T Macnamara apptd ; for service of Ordinary at Portsmouth
15 Feb 1856 Guard Ship of Ordinary, Portsmouth
1860 Reserve Depot Ship, Portsmouth
1 Jan 1862 Commissioned at Portsmouth. Training Ship.
1864 Training Ship, Home Station, Portsmouth. Report of Fevers and Small Pox onboard. Number of Cases of Disease and Injury.
1870 Portsmouth. Training Ship for Boys.
8 Apr 1871 it is reported that cases of smallpox, measles and mumps have appeared on board, the smallpox cases having been sent to RNH Haslar.
1 Apr 1876 Recommissioned at Portsmouth.
1879 Portsmouth. Training Ship for Boys.
1879 Tender: Martin.
Apr 1886 Portsmouth.
1890 Portsmouth. Training Ship for Boys.
1890 Tender: Martin
The Squadron of Evolution at Cove.
(From the Cork Southern Reporter.)
At daybreak on Thursday, morning the Raleigh, 50 guns, commanded by Sir Thomas Herbert, entered the harbour, and fired, with beautiful precision, a salvo of eleven guns, to salute the flag of Admiral Sir Hugh Pigott, which was hoisted on board the Myrmidon, steamer, a craft by no means entitled to such a distinction ; but obtaining it, to use an Irish phrase, " for want of a better." The arrival of this beautiful frigate, built from the design of Mr. Fincham, master shipwright at Devonport and generally admitted to be, next the Vernon, the handsomest and fastest in the British navy, was considered the harbinger of all the others ; and so it proved, for at half-past three a large ship, with all canvass set, was seen at the harbour's mouth, and nearing the anchorage. She was signalled to be the St. Vincent, 120 guns, bearing the flag of Commodore Sir Francis Collier, in command of the fleet. Within the next two hours the other ships of the squadron had arrived, presenting such a beautiful and attractive sight as was scarcely ever witnessed in Cove before - the light winds which prevailed requiring every inch of their snowy canvass to be set, as they glided gracefully over the tranquil waters, and took up a position in line along what is called the Man-of-War Roads - the steamers lying closer in shore, and in the channel between Haulbowline and the Columbine Quay. The following is a correct enumeration of the vessels now in the harbour forming the " Squadron of Evolution" :
St. Vincent, Captain John Shepherd, 120 guns, 2612 tons burden, bearing the flag of the Commodore in command, Sir F. Collier.
Trafalgar, Captain J. N. Nott, 120 guns, 2694 tons burden. This magnificent ship attracted much attention, from her beautiful and correct nautical proportions. A striking bust of Nelson, in full uniform, constitutes her figure head, and her stern galleries afford what may be styled almost a" marine parade" for the officers.
Queen, Captain Sir H. Leeke, 110 guns, 2103 tons burden, built under the directions of the surveyor of the navy. Sir W. Symonds, and carrying the flag of Sir J. G. Bremmer. The admitted superiority of this noble ship caused attention to be generally directed to her, and in truth she looked like one not likely to, j disappoint the highest expectations. A magnificent figure of her Majesty, crowned with the regal diadem, graced her bows, and during the whole of yesterday hundreds of' boats surrounded her, conveying anxious, groups of visitors, or those itinerant dealers in miscellaneous wares, who are ready either, to buy or. sell, as the taste or inclination of "Jack Tar" may direct him. Her large and effective band performed on the quarter deck the whole afternoon.
Rodney. 92 guns, Captain E. Collier burden 2625 tons; built under the direction of Sir R. Seppings. . . .
Albion, 90 guns, Captain Nicholas Lockyer , burthen 3099 tons. The Albion was an old favourite in Cove, having been for several months as flag-ship on the Irish station. She had of coarse plenty of small craft in attendance, and many of her officers and crew renewed their acquaintances soon after she entered the harbour.
Superb, 80 guns, Captain A. S. Carry, burden 2589 tons.
Vanguard, 80 guns, Captain Willes. burden. 2589 tons. This beautiful ship was also for some months flag-ship at Cove.
Bellisle. 74 guns, Captain Kingcombe. This vessel only joined the squadron for the first time yesterday morning
Brilliant, 22 guns, Captain R. B. Watson, burden 954 tons.
Retribution, Captain Lushington, 10 guns. 800 horse power. 1847 tons burden.
Gladiator, Captain Robb, 8 guns, 430 horse power, 1100 tons.
Scourge, Captain Caffin, 6 guns, 420 horse power, 1124 tons
Devastation. Commander Crouch, 6 guns, 400 horse power, 1058 tons burden,
Cyclops. Captain Lapidge, 6 guns, 320 horse power, 1106 tons.
Rattler (screw propeller), Commander Smith, 5 guns 200 horse power, 888 tons burden.
There were besides a number of smaller steamers. tenders, &c., in the harbour. together with the Cornwall transport embarking 340 troops, detachments of various regiments for the Cape of Good Hope and the Mauritius.
With respect to the movements of the squadron we are informed, on what we deem good authority, that they are under orders to proceed again to sea after a delay of three days to water -- that they will cruise towards Bantry, and anchor for some time in that splendid bay, where, as we are informed, it is intended that the crews and marines shall be landed and exercised in warlike tactics, landing at night, and such like evolutions, the object of the present trials being to exercise the crews and manoeuvre them in naval operations. With this view Captain Horatio Austin, C.B., has bean appointed to the St. Vincent, to superintend the machinery of the steam squadron of evolution, he having commanded the Cyclops frigate at the capture of St. Jean D'Acre, and made steam machinery, as applied to navigation, his particular study.
5 Dec 1846 THE SQUADRON OF EVOLUTION.
(From the Cork Examiner.) Cove, Tuesday, July 14.
The beautiful harbour of Cove presented one of the gayest and most animated spectacles that could passably be conceived yesterday. Rumour had for some days given out that the marines and sailors of the fleet were to go through sundry evolutions, such as landing, attacking, sham battles, and so forth ; and that the scene of the operations was to be the shore and the hill near Corkabeg and Carlisle fort. Accordingly, every boat on the river, from the Brickfields to Whitegate, was put in requisition. The steamers were crowded to excess ; the market boats were impressed as pleasure craft ; and not a thing that could be propelled by oar or sail that was not brimfull of life and expectation. The harbour was covered over with yachts of every tonnage, skimming about like sea birds with glistening wings. The sun shone brightly over land and sea. giving to everything its loveliest aspect-making one of nature's holidays.
At an early hour a whole flotilla of boats of all sizes, from the launch and pinnace to the gig and jolly boat, rowed or departed from the various men-of-war at anchor in the roads. They had on board over 2000 marines, and some 300 or 400 blue-jackets, the former fully accoutred, and the latter armed with their cutlasses. They landed on the fine sandy strand of Corkabeg, and having formed, marched by a circuitous route to the ground marked out for the day's manoeuvres - on the brow of the hill near the fort, and affording a fine view of the sea on one side, and an exquisite glimpse of that part of the inner harbour near Mr. French's beautiful wood of Cuskiny, on the other. Every swelling mound was grouped over with numbers of fashionably dressed women, who added much, by the varied hues of their garments, to the picturesqueness of the scene.
About twelve o'clock the operations commenced. It is quite unnecessary to particularise the different tactics of the day ; suffice it to say, that the marines were supposed to resist imaginary attacks and sorties from the fort ; that they formed into squares to meet imaginary cavalry ; that they fired in line, singly and in platoon ; that they formed into columns, and, in fine, went through the usual manoeuvres that our readers must frequently have seen at a review. The firing, especially by companies, was excellent and steady, indeed, quite as good as that of the ordinary troops of the line. The operations of the blue jackets were far more interesting. Several guns, heavy and light, which had been carried up to the fort on the previous Saturday were brought into the field, and were wheeled about, fired, limbered, and unlimbered. by the gallant tars with a dexterity only equalled by the facility with which they rattled them to various positions for attack and defence. Some of the lighter guns were pulled along by six or eight men, who were regularly harnessed to them, and who made them bound over the uneven ground as they brought them into position or breasted the brow of a hill. The heavier gins were dragged along by a dozen or more seamen. Perhaps the most beautiful and indeed astonishing of the evolutions gone through was that of dismounting the guns, which was done with as much facility as if a boy were taking to pieces a toy cart. The wheels were off, the carriage in pieces, and the gun on the ground in less than a minute ; and on the order being given to mount them again, they were raised on the carriage and fired off in about the same time ! From twelve to three o'clock both marines and tars blazed away an incredible quantity of " villanous saltpetre." the smoke from which at times wreathed the whole field, leaving nothing to be seen but the bright glimmer of bayonets that glanced out from the opal vapour. After having gone through an infinite variety of evolutions, the guns were taken into the fort by the sailors and the marines and tars marched from the field to the strand of Corkabeg. The whole force were then drawn up into three bodies and were quietly draughted into the boats, the largest of which were afloat in the deep water, the smaller boats serving as a means of communication. In about half an hour sails were set and oars in motion, and away went a flotilla of some forty boats for their respective vessels, before a breeze that had freshened with the in-coming tide: The appearance of the harbour at this moment was beautiful beyond description, more than 100 sails bent to the breeze, while innumerable whalers. gigs, yawls, and wherries, were pulling away for the shore.
Precisely at four o'clock p.m., a salute of 11 guns was fired from Her Majesty ship Vanguard, intimating the advent of another distinguished stranger, and accordingly the salute was quickly answered by a similar number of guns from the Hibernia, 120, then quickly gliding into the harbour, under clouds of canvas - the report of her guns, owing to the distance, came booming in a soft and subdued manner across the bright blue waters of our noble harbour. The Hibernia had on board Admiral Sir William Parker, who arrived from the Mediterranean, and who has command of the squadron of evolution. In about half an hour subsequently, another splendid three-decker, Her Majesty's ship Trafalgar, entered the harbour, both ships, of course, anchoring in the man-of-war roads - thus making a sight seldom seen here - four three-deckers, and a similar number of fine frigates, with nine war-steamers also riding in our harbour.
From an early hour on yesterday morning, the harbour presented the same gay and animated appearance which it wore on the preceding day - crafts of every size, from the cumbersome barge to the light and graceful wherry, all fully freighted, literally covered the waters, being propelled by sturdy oarsmen, or by the gentle influence of the wind towards Carlisle fort, the grand point of attraction, where the "sham battle" was to take place. The ground was much better attended than on the preceding day, not only by fashionables, but by peasantry - amongst the spectators I noticed the Mayor of Cork, who wore the insignia of chief magistrate. The marines, who were reviewed by General Turner, went through similar evolutions to those of the previous day ; as did also the sailors. We cannot forbear to offer our testimony to the beauty and accuracy of the firing of the marine artillery, particularly at one time when they were supposed to attack an imaginary fort, and after cannonading it for some time, they retreated and kept up, whilst thus placed, a steady and continuous fire. We regret to have to mention that an accident of a rather serious nature occurred to a sailor, named Griffiths, a Welchman, belonging to the Vanguard, who had his right hand terribly shattered by the explosion of a cannon. It seems the gun missed, or rather " hung fire," and when in the act of ramming it, it exploded, sending the rammer some forty or fifty feet in the air, wounding the poor sailor - it was very fortunate that the gun had such an elevation at the time, or surely some lives would have been sacrificed. Griffiths, after having his arm bound up by the surgeon of the vessel, was removed to Haulbowline, where it is to be amputated. The only other accidents that I heard of was that of a marine who lost an eye by the bursting of his gun and a number of sailors who were deprived of the points of their fingers, and some of the finger itself, by the explosion of powder. We saw also several marines carried off the eventful field in a state of insensibility - but from a far different, and when in the field, most unsoldier-like cause - to wit, drunkenness. The sham-battle terminated at three o'clock, when such a scene of terrible confusion and excitement ensued in the re-embarkation, not of the troops. but of the numberless spectators, as I never witnessed in my life, and which I surely could not attempt to describe.
The Loss of the Osprey.- On Monday, a court martial, comprising Rear Admiral Hyde Parker, C.B., President ; Captain Pasco, of the Victory ; Captain Chads, of the Excellent ; Captain Lushington, of the Vengeance ; Captain Henderson, of the Sidon ; Captain Miloe, of the St. Vincent; Captain Giffard, of the Penelope ; and Mr. G. L. Groetham, Deputy Judge Advocate of the Fleet, assembled on board the St. Vincent, to try on the information of Rear Admiral Sir T. Cochrane, Commander F. Patten, of her Majesty's late sloop Osprey, and the officers and ship's company, for the loss of that vessel on the western coast of New Zealand, in March last. It is quite unnecessary to give the evidence adduced ; the whole case rested upon this fact the waters where the ship was wrecked had never been surveyed, and False Hokianga so closely resembles True Hokianga, that mistaking one for the other was most natural under the circumstances detailed before the Court. Commander Patten read his defence. The Court fully acquitted Commander Patten, as well as the officers and ship's company ; and were of opinion that every exertion had been made in the endeavour to save the said ship. The President then returned Commander Patten his sword. -London Paper.
10 July 1848. Portsmouth - Sir C Napier's Squadron
Another experimental squadron is in course of collection, and will sail on or about the 10th of July from this port, under the command of Rear-Admiral Sir Charles Napier, K.C.B.
The ships comprehending the squadron for 1848 will be the:
St. Vincent, 120, Captain Dacres, (flag of Sir Charles) ; the
Caledonia, 120, Captain T. R. Carter ; the
Prince Regent, 92, Captain Martin; the
Powerful, 84, Captain the Hon. R. S. Dundas. C. B. ; the
Blenheim 56, (screw), Captain Horatio Austen. C.B. ;. the
Amphion, 36 (screw), Captain Williams; the
Dragon, steam-frigate, Captain W. H. Hall; the
Tweed, 13,. Commander Lord Francis Russell; the
Pilot, 16, Commander Lyons ; the
Frolic, 16, Commander Vansittart ; the
Helena, 16, Commander G. W.. Smith; and the
Reynard (screw), 8, to be commissioned by Commander P. Cracroft.
This cruise, we are informed, will be more for the purpose of testing the efficacy of screw line-of-battle or block ships than for any other "experimental" purpose, and with this object the Blenheim will be tried under all possible circumstances.
Sailing of the Squadron of Exercise from Portsmouth.
(From the Morning Chronicle, July 17, .)
On Saturday, soon after two o'clock, the following squadron put to sea from Spithead, to cruise under the order of Sir Charles Napier, between that roadstead and ten degrees southwest of Cape Clear:-
St Vincent, 120, Captain Dacres, flag ship of Sir Charles Napier, K.C.B.;
Prince Regent, 90, guns, Captain W. F. Martin;
Bellerophon, 78 guns, Captain Baynes, C.B.;
Tweed, 18 guns, Commander Lord F. Russell ;
Hellena, 16 guns Commander Smith;
Frolic, 16 guns, Commander Vansittart ;
Pilot, 12 guns, Commander Lyons.
Screw steam vessels -
Blenheim, 56 guns, 450 horsepower, Captain Chads, C.B.;
Amphion, 34 guns, 300 horse power, Captain W. J. Williams;
Rifleman, 4 guns, 100 horse power, Lieutenant - Commander Crofton.
Being a total force of 11 ships, mounting 466 guns, with 3900 officers, men, and boys.
The fineness of the day, and the popularity of the sight, drew to every commanding position ashore, and to innumerable boats upon the water, a vast multitude of sightseers. To give a character to the event, as well as to exercise the duty of their office, the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty proceeded from London to ascertain the efficiency of the squadron, and to order and witness its departure.
The Right Hon. the Earl of Auckland and Capt. Milne, with Lord de Ros, went to Portsmouth on Friday afternoon ; and partook of the hospitalities of the Port Admiral for that night ; and on being joined on Saturday noon by Admiral Dundas, Captain Berkeley, and H. G. Ward, Esq. (the secretary), embarked on board H.M. steamer Lightning, Master Commander J. E. Petley, and went to Spithead to be put on board the flag-ship of the squadron (the St. Vincent), accompanied by a fashionable party of the haut ton who had left town with them.
The roadstead of Spithead was everywhere studded with sail of various denominations, each with some gay party on board. The Fanny, sailing yacht of the Port-Admiral of Portsmouth, was, on this occasion, freighted with a party of guests of the Right Hon. Lord Fitzclarence, Governor of Portsmouth. Sir Charles Ogle, the Commander-in-Chief, was with the Lords of the Admiralty. The flag of their lordships was hoisted on the staff at the entrance gates of Portsmouth Dockyard, at eight o'clock P.M., and continued so hoisted until the embarkation of Lords Auckland and De Ros, and Captain Milne, at half-past nine ; after landing this party, the Lightning returned to the harbour for another Admiralty party of about forty personages, whom she also conveyed out to Spithead. When close to the St. Vincent, the Admiralty flag was hoisted in the Lightning, when the Victory saluted it with the usual complement of guns. At twelve o'clock the Admiralty was aboard the Blenheim steam guard ship, and inspected her ; from her the board went to the screw steam frigate Amphion, and inspected her ; they returned to Sir Charles Napier on board the St. Vincent about two o'clock, and in ten minutes after the order was given to weigh anchor ; the squadron accordingly got under weigh. The instruction brig Rolls, managed by boys of the apprentices corps, being first off ; the Pilot sloop was away next, and then the others ; lastly, the Frolic. They were compelled to make a couple of tacks before they could fetch clear out. The Port Admiral and Admiral Superintendent in yachts accompanied by a host of yachts and miscellaneous vessels, then made out with the squadron, forming one most enlivening and animated group. At about five o'clock the squadron tacked and shortened sail, standing slowly in on the starboard tack. The Pilot sloop, in heaving in stays while working out, threw herself athwart hawse of the Sharpshooter, 4-gun iron schooner, by which the fore channels of the Pilot were slightly damaged, and the Sharpshooter's jib-boom was carried away ; the latter vessel in consequence bore up, and left the squadron at about six o'clock, about which time all the members tacked to the port tack off the land, and soon after bore up.
At half-past-six they rounded to on the port tack and hove to ; about seven o'clock they were joined by the Racer, 12 gun sloop, Lieutenant Bacon, from Plymouth, which remained and proceeded in company.
About a quarter past seven, the Lords of the Admiralty returned to the Lightning steamer, from the St. Vincent, on board which ship they and their illustrious friends had been hand-somely entertained by Sir Charles Napier, and were saluted on their departure from the har-bour, which they left about half-past eight, to return to London by a special train on the South-Western Railway.
After the Lords of the Admiralty and guests left the flag-ship St. Vincent, the squadron made sail with a light breeze, at E.N.E., and were out of sight from Spithead by sunset.
Admiral Dundas and Captain Milne, of the Admiralty, were guests of the Port Admiral Sir Charles Ogle on Saturday night.
The Dragon steam-frigate, Captain Hall, will not be in a fit state to follow the squadron for about ten days. The Reynard screw schooner, fitted out at Woolwich, will be ready most likely before her. The Sharpshooter got back to Spithead as quickly as she could after her collision, and went into Portsmouth harbour yesterday to repair damages. The Collingwood and Kingfisher, dismantled, will be paid off this day, or to-morrow, at Portsmouth. The Hermes steam-sloop, arrived at Portsmouth yesterday to be attached to the steam squadron in ordinary. The Rifleman screw schooner, similar class vessel to the Sharpshooter, was ready to join the squadron of exercise on Saturday, after being commissioned on that day by Lieutenant Crofton. She will be a tender to the Powerful, 84 guns, at Spithead.