Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Thames, 1758
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 32 (12 pdr.)
Launched at Bewley in 1758 ;
Disposal date or year : 1803 †
Tons (BM) : 656

† 24 Oct 1793 Action with the Uranie, and subsequent capture by the French 40-gun frigate Carmagnole and accompanying vessels.

24 Oct 1793 Thames, 32, Captain Jas. Cotes, captured by a squadron of French frigates.

8 Jun 1796 in the approaches to the English Channel the re-capture of the French frigate Tamise (late British Thames), by the frigate Santa-Margarita, Captain Thomas Williams, and the capture of the French frigate Tribune by the Unicorn, following a chase. The Tamise was taken back into the RN under her original name and the Tribune under her present name.

17 May 1797, the ship's cutter, whilst going out to Spithead, was upset in a squall, but fortunately the female passenger and boat's crew were saved by boats from other ships and wherrymen who were close at hand.

Between Aug and Oct 1797 captured a French privateer, name unknown, on the Jamaica station.

1 Jan 1799 Capt. W. Lukin.

13 Jan 1799 Portsmouth, arrived from Marcou (off Cape la Hogue).

Mr. Sadler the Chemical Professor, on going down to inspect his new invented guns, which are on board the Thames frigate, prevented a sailor in the Captain's barge from being drowned. On leaving the frigate at night, Mr. Sadler fell into the water, and would inevitably have lost his life had not the identical sailor jumped in to his rescue.

12 Feb 1799 Portsmouth, with the outward bound Lisbon fleet, and expected to sail to-morrow. General Cuyler goes out in the Thames, and General Tarleton in the Hyaena.

3 Mar 1799 Portsmouth, departed the Mediterranean convoy, under the escort of the Thames and Hyaena frigates, with the Gorgon and Serapis armed 44 gun storeships ; General Cuyler and his suite went in the former frigate, and General Tarleton in the latter.

5 Feb 1800 Plymouth, arrived with the Terpsichore, and Alcmene.

5 Mar 1800 Plymouth, departed the Thames, 32, Captain Lukin, to join Admiral Sir A. Gardner's fleet off Brest.

24 Apr 1800 Torbay, departed with the Channel Fleet, under the command of Sir Alan Gardner.

12 May 1800 with the Clyde, and the Hired Armed Schooner Suwarrow captured a French Chasse Maree.

1 Jun 1800 a part of a squadron detached from Channel fleet to Quiberon bay and the Morbihan to aid the royalists.

22 Jul 1800 Portsmouth, arrived from the Channel fleet.

27 Sep 1800 Portsmouth, went out of Harbour, after being refitted.

6 Oct 1800 Portsmouth, departed with the Triumph to join the Channel Fleet.

26 Oct 1800 at Sea, the Tower of Caduan E.S.E. 36 leagues, captured Le Diable a Quatre French ship privateer, of 16 x 12 and 6-pounders, and 150 men; after a chase of 5 hours, the Immortalite having joined in the pursuit, and much facilitated the capture of the privateer, a fast sailer, and well found, out from Bourdeaux one day.

29 Oct 1800 when in company with the Immortalite captured a schooner letter of marque, from Guadaloupe to Bourdeaux, laden with coffee, having chased her all day, see also below.

3 Nov 1800 Plymouth, arrived a beautiful ship corvette, of 20 guns, 16 mounted, and 160 men, called La Diable a Quatre, captured after a long chase by the Thames, 32, when only two days from Bourdeaux. The Immortalite, 44, was in sight at the capture. Later purchased into the Service as Imogen.

4 Nov 1800 Plymouth, arrived a French schooner, L'Unique, 6 guns and 80 men, with a valuable cargo, from Guadaloupe to Bourdeaux. She was captured the 31 Oct., 36 hours from Bourdeaux, by the Thames, the Immortalite, being in sight at the capture.

30 Nov 1800 captured the French brig privateer Actif, 14 x 6 pdrs., 2 x long brass 12 pdrs., and 137 men, in the Bay of Biscay, 15 leagues from the Tower of Corduan, after a chase of 6 hours.

13 Dec 1800 Plymouth, arrived L’Actif, 16, and 120 men, prize to the Thames, 32, ; she is coppered and quite new rigged : and not long off the stocks at Bourdeaux, launched and fitted in seven days, out of port one day, and in Plymouth the third day from her leaving Bourdeaux ; and on board her was discovered one of the mutineers of the Hermione. She was reported to have only taken 2 vessels is the last 3 months, one sent into Rochelle and the other into Passage.

14 Dec 1800 Plymouth, came in from a cruize with the Amethyst.

24 Dec 1800 departed Plymouth on a cruise.

18 Jan 1801 captured the French National ship corvette l'Aurore, 16 guns, commanded by Charles Girault, Lieutenant de Vaisseaux : she was from the Mauritius, having on board the aid-de-camp to the Governor of that place, charged with dispatches, to the French Government.

23 Jan 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound the Eliza, from New York to London, with a valuable cargo ; taken by L'Oncle Ben, of 14 guns, and 75 men, and retaken the 19th instant, by the Thames, of 32 guns, Captain Lukin.

30 Jan 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound the frigates Magicienne, and Thames, from a cruise off Bourdeaux, with two French East Indiamen, viz, L'Huron, of 20 guns, and 70 men, and passengers ; and L'Aurore, of 18 guns, and sixty-five men, and passengers, after a chase of several hours. They were captured within six leagues of Bourdeaux, and are prizes with three brigs (not yet arrived), to the above frigates and the Doris. They are both laden from the Mauritius for Bourdeaux, with spices, nankeens, silks, cochineal, coffee, tortoise-shell, ivory, &c. The L'Huron was chased for thirty-two hours. They lay at the Mauritius three months to avoid our cruisers, but the British frigates taking some prizes, left the coast for Madras, when L'Huron and Aurore sailed directly for Europe.

1 Feb 1801 on board L'Huron, French East Indiaman, captured and sent in last Friday, by the frigates Magicienne, and Thames, the dispatches for Bonaparte from the Mauritius, were discovered concealed in a box with a false bottom, and forwarded to the Earl of St. Vincent.

7 Feb 1801 departed Plymouth Sound to join the Channel Fleet the Magicienne, of 32 guns ; Thames, of 32 guns, and Eurydice, of 24 guns.

11 Feb 1801 the squadron described below parted company with the Channel Fleet, and stood to the S.W., with a fresh wind from the Eastward, with a view to tracking down Contre-amiral Ganteaume's squadron, which due, apparently to intelligence errors at the Admiralty, sent R.-Adm. Calder to the West Indies, which turned out to be a wild goose chase, Ganteaume being in the Mediterranean. The Squadron consisted of : the Prince of Wales, 98, R.-Adm. Sir R. Calder ; Pompée, 80 ; Juste, Spencer, Courageux, Montague, Cumberland, 74s ; Thames, and Magicienne, frigates ; Telegraph, brig.

13 Feb 1801 made Cape Ortegal ; captured and destroyed a Spanish brig, laden with wine.

15 Feb 1801 experienced an exceedingly violent storm, in which the Montague lost her main mast, and the Magicienne, and Telegraph, were separated from the squadron. The Montague rigged jury masts and made her way to the Tagus.

16 Feb 1801 before the Port of Ferrol.

18 Feb 1801 the remainder of the squadron assemble under Cape Finisterre, and proceed to the Southward.

19 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales was reported to be off Lisbon with La Juste, Pompee, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, ships of the line, along with the frigates Diamond and Thames by the packet arriving from Falmouth.

19 Feb 1801 brought to off Lisbon ; saw the Montague at anchor there, under jury masts.

21 Feb 1801 proceeded to the Southward ; and the squadron was joined by the frigate Diamond.

22 Feb 1801 by letters from the fleet off Brest, we are advised that the squadron detached from the Channel Fleet after Gantheaume's squadron, was made up as follows: Prince of Wales, Rear-Admiral Calder ; Pompee, La Juste ; Montague ; Spencer ; Courageux ; Cumberland ; Thames and Magicienne.

22 Feb 1801 made Cape St Vincent ; no intelligence.

23 Feb 1801 stood to the S.W.

25 Feb 1801 detached the Thames towards Madeira.

26 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales, Adm. Sir R. Calder, with the Pompée, 80 ; La Juste, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, 74 ; and the frigates Diamond and Thames, 38, reported to be at Madeira, and did not anchor, but departed the following day for the Canaries, en route for Martinique.

27 Feb 1801 the squadron and convoy arrive at Madeira. The convoy anchor. Received here a few bullocks and some wine for the use of the squadron. Also, received some vague information of the enemy's squadron being at Teneriffe.

28 Feb 1801 set all sail towards Teneriffe.

1 Mar 1801 saw Teneriffe ; prepared the ships for battle and anchorage.

2 Mar 1801 the squadron plying to windward towards the Bay of Teneriffe, where a few small vessels only were found under the batteries.

30 Mar 1801 letters received Plymouth from Madeira, of the 2d Mar, state her safe arrival there, after a gale of wind in the Bay, mention is made of the squadron, under Rear-Admiral Calder, being gone on to the West Indies.

3 Mar 1801 stood over to the Grand Canary.

4 Mar 1801 captured a Spanish brig laden with wheat.

5 Mar 1801 detached the Diamond to the Eastward, and prize with her.

6 Mar 1801 bore up to the West Indies.

19 Mar 1801 R.-Adm. Calder detached the Thames towards Barbadoes.

25 Mar 1801 brought to off Bridgetown, Barbadoes, without seeing one strange sail the whole outward passage. Called out the Thames per signal, and proceeded with the Squadron to the Northward.

26 Mar 1801 arrived and anchored in Cassa Navire Bay, Martinico.

29 Mar 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, wood and water. Weighed.

30 Mar 1801 before Dominique.

31 Mar 1801 before Montserrat.

1 Apr 1801 brought to before the Swedish Island of St Bartholomew. Saw the British flag flying on the garrison. The same at St Martin's.

2 Apr 1801 saluted R,-Adm. Duckworth, before the Danish town of Christianstadt, Santa Cruz, which with the Island of St Thomas, had been taken possession of a few days before, by a detachment of troops brought from Martinique in his squadron. Same evening departed company with R.-Adm. Duckworth's squadron, and bore up to the Westward.

3 Apr 1801 steering down the coast of Porto Rico.

4 Apr 1801 becalmed ; anchored in the White Grounds off Cape Roxa.

6 Apr 1801 plying through the Mona passage, fell in with the Thetis, and Bordelais ; supplied the latter with some provisions ; captured and destroyed a Spanish schooner. Finding the current setting strongly against the squadron bore up to the S.W.

7 Apr 1801 before the City of Hispaniola.

10 Apr 1801 before Jaquemel.

13 Apr 1801 arrived and anchored in Port Royal, Jamaica. Found here the squadron of V.-Adm. Hugh Seymour, consisting of 5 sail of the line and frigates. In entering Port Royal, the Spencer ran on one of the Knowles, but was hove off the same evening without damage. Found here also the Topaze.

18 Apr 1801 arrived the Magicienne (which parted in the storm off Cape Ortegal), with a prize corvette of 16 guns, which by mistake had attacked the Magicienne in the night. In this encounter the frigate lost 2 men, but the loss on the corvette was considerable. On entering the harbour the Magicienne ran aground and injured her copper.

19 Apr 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, &c. Supplied the squadron of Lord Seymour with several cables, boats, water casks, and volunteer marines. Also attached to his squadron the Cumberland and Magicienne ; the Thunderer being annexed to the squadron of Sir R. Calder, in want of repair. Prepared to sail, but the wind being unfavourable the squadron had one day's respite, being the first since they left England. Received here four days of fresh beef and some vegetables. Sailed the packet for England, with the Retribution frigate, formerly Hermione, to convey her through the Windward Passage. Also sailed four homeward bound merchant ships under convoy of the armed merchant ship Thetis.

21 Apr 1801 weighed and sailed, the Topaze in company with the squadron.

22 Apr 1801 off the east end of Jamaica, plying to windward.

23 Apr 1801 off the west end of St Domingo. Passed by 2 American frigates.

24 Apr 1801 came up with the packet and homeward bound ships, which sailed on the 19th.

25 Apr 1801 parted from them off Cape Nichola Mole. Parted company the Topaze.

27 Apr 1801 off Monte Christo.

28 Apr 1801 off Cape Sumana.

29 Apr 1801 made Porto Rico.

29 May 1801 arrived Spithead with dispatches from Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Calder, whom he left in the Prince of Wales, with the Pompee, Juste, Courageux, Spencer and Thunderer, to the north-ward of St. Domingo, on their passage home. The Cumberland, one of Sir Robert's squadron, was left in the West Indies, instead of the Thunderer, being so leaky, as to require her being sent home.

Circa 31 May 1801 - 1 Jun 1801 spoke with the Formidable in the Channel, which gave orders from the Admiralty to Sir Robert to join the Channel Fleet, which he has done with the remainder of his squadron.

10 Jun 1801 departed Spithead on a cruise.

13 Jun 1801 came to in Cawsand Bay with the Cockchaffer, to join sir James Saumarez's squadron.

15 Jun 1801 departed Plymouth Sound this evening at six o'clock, the squadron under Rear Admiral Sir James Saumarez, Bart, with the Caesar, Pompée, Spencer, Hannibal, Audacious, Thames, Paisley, of 16, and Plymouth lugger. They are victualled and stored for five months. Their orders are not to be opened till the squadron arrives in a certain latitude. Previous to the sailing of the above squadron twenty tons of vegetables and 2000 weight of fresh beef were conveyed on board by the gun-boats.

5 Jul 1801 sent to recall the Superb to join the squadron, but became becalmed.

8 Jul 1801 observed a Franco-Spanish squadron of 6 sail of the line prepare to sail on the 9th for Algeziras, and departed to Gibraltar to warn the Admiral.

12 Jul 1801 departed Gibraltar to chase a Franco-Spanish squadron observed sailing from Algeziras. 12th-13th the engagement commenced resulting in the destruction of 2 first rates, and the capture of a 3rd rate.

Circa Aug 1801 S. Champion, Acting Secretary to Sir James Saumarez, on board the Caesar, to be Purser of the Thames.

Circa Aug 1801 R. Truscott, of the Thames, at Gibraltar, appointed by R.-Adm. Sir J. Saumarez to be Purser of the San Antonio.

16 Aug 1801 letters, as dated, from off Cadiz, received at Plymouth from an officer of the Thames, state that Rear Admiral Sir J. Saumarez, Bart, with seven sail of the line, two frigates, and a sloop of war, having refitted at Gibraltar, departed the 9th to block up Cadiz, and on the 10th ult. was joined by Commodore Tyler with 4 sail of the Baltic Fleet from Cork ; his fleet now consists of the following ships : Caesar, Warrior, Pompee, Spencer, Venerable, Superbe, Bellona, Defence, Russell, Audacious, Caroline, 44, Thames, 32, and Peterell, 18, all well equipped and in high spirits.

2 Sep 1801 Adm Pole in the St George, Dreadnought, Ramilies, Vanguard, Powerful and Zealous, arrived off Cadiz on 31 Aug., and on 2 Sep., in company with Sir James Saumarez's squadron, consisting of the Defence, Warrior, Spencer, Superb, Audacious, ships of the line ; and Caroline, Thames, frigates ; and sloop Peterell, began cruising before Cadiz. The Bellona was reported to be at Gibraltar fishing her main-mast.

21 Sep 1801 Cape Saint Mary, N.W. by N. four leagues, Capt. Hollis wrote to V.Adm. Pole advising him that this morning at day-light, when between the Sand Hills of San Lucar and Condan Point, he discovered an enemy's lugger in the N.W. which, after a chase of twelve hours (it then becoming calm, when about three miles from the ship), was boarded in a very spirited manner by the boats of the Thames, under the command of Lieutenants Hawkes, Stewart, and Lucas. She was the Sparrow, a Spanish privateer, mounting two four-pounders, two brass swivels and small arms, and 31 men, out 54 days, had taken a Gibraltar privateer, and was on her return.

26 Dec 1801 letters received at Gibraltar from Malta, state that Thames, sent to Malta with the preliminaries of the recent peace agreement with France, is wooding and watering at Malta preparatory to returning to Gibraltar.

27 Mar 1802 accounts had been received at Gibraltar from Malta stating, that the Thames, 32, Captain Lukin, had arrived safe there from Leghorn, after being nearly lost in a violent gale of wind in Leghorn Roads. By the spirited exertions of the Officers and crew of the Thames, and the assistance of a Danish frigate, she rode out the gale in safety, after parting two cables an end.

10 Jul 1802 letters received at Plymouth, from Port Mahon, dated June 2nd, from an officer of the Caesar, 84, Rear Admiral Sir James Saumarez, state the complete evacuation of the Island of Minorca, to the Governor appointed by the King of Spain. The British Squadron was expected to sail for Gibraltar in a few days with the troops and stores. The Thames, 32, dispatched for Alexandria, was hourly expected to join Sir James Saumarez. The fleet and army were very healthy and mutual civilities took place between the Spanish and British Officers.

4 Oct 1802 arrived Gibraltar from Malta ; having delivered her dispatches from Sir Richard Bickerton, she departed to rejoin the his squadron in the Mediterranean.

30 Nov 1802 arrived Gibraltar from the Mediterranean Squadron, after a passage of 6 weeks, from off Sardinia. The Thames departs for England the first fair wind.

3 Dec 1802 departed Gibraltar for Portsmouth.

22 Dec 1802 arrived this evening the Thames, from Gibraltar, and put in quarantine on the Motherbank.

27 Dec 1802 departed Spithead, the Thames, Capt Holles, for Chatham, to be paid off.

31 Jan 1803 S. Champion, secretary to R._Adm. Sir J Saumarez apptd Purser of the Thames, now in ordinary in the R. Thames.