Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Triumph, 1764
Type: 3rd rate ; Armament 74
Launched : 3 Mar 1764 ; Disposal date or year : 1850
BM: 1825 tons

Portsmouth 2 Oct 1785 Has come into harbour.

30 May 1795 a squadron under Vice-adm. Hon. Wm. Cornwallis departed from Spithead on a cruise off Ushant. Brief meeting, on 8 Jun off Belle-Isle, of Vice-adm Cornwallis' squadron with French Squadron under Rear-admiral Vence, with a convoy, during which 8 merchant vessels were taken when the French squadron escaped into harbour.

16 Jun 1795 on returning off Belle-Isle Vice-adm. Cornwallis' squadron of 5 ships of the line, including the Triumph, Captain Sir Erasmus Gower, sighted a French Squadron of 12 ships of the line under the command of M. Villaret : on this occasion it was the turn of the British squadron to attempt to escape the advancing French fleet.

3 Oct 1797 arrived Yarmouth from off the Texel to victual and store etc.

9 Oct 1797 departed from Yarmouth for the Texel. 11 Oct 1797 engaged the Dutch fleet in what was to be known as the Battle of Camperdown (Admiral Duncan).

21 Feb 1798 prize money resulting from the sale of Dutch ships captured on the 11 Oct 1797 due for payment.

15 Jan 1799 Portsmouth, at Spithead ; 17th dropped down to St. Helen's in preparation for a cruise off Brest ; 20 Jan 1799 Friday, in going out to St. Helen's, missed stays, ran foul of the Neptune, and received considerable damage : she went aground on the Hawse, but was got off yesterday.

28 Jan 1799 Portsmouth, departed with the squadron under Queen Charlotte, for a cruise off Brest.

19 Mar 1799 at Spithead.

19 Apr 1799 Plymouth, arrived from a cruise.

7 May 1799 remains in Cawsand Bay.

9 May 1799 Plymouth, orders came down to victual for six months for foreign service.

11 May 1799 Plymouth, departed last night the Atlas, Formidable, Canada, Triumph, Spitfire, and the Lady Duncan lugger, to join Lord Bridport's fleet.

8 Jun 1799 Plymouth, reports received here advise that 16 ships of the line and 4 frigates were detached by Lord Bridport for the Straits.

7 Jul 1799 joined the Mediterranean fleet off Minorca.

27 Aug 1799 in Cawsand Bay.

13 Sep 1799 Plymouth, departed to join Lord Bridport off Brest.

10 Dec 1799 Plymouth, arrived in Cawsand Bay.

Circa Jan 1800 Captain Eliab Harvey is appointed to command the Triumph.

15 Jan 1800 Plymouth, departed for Torbay with the Neptune.

23 Mar 1800 Plymouth, came in from off Brest, which they left the 19th inst.

Circa Jun 1800 Lately, died at Oxford, after a lingering illness, most sincerely regretted by his family and friends, Lieutenant Edward Birch, late First Lieutenant of the Triumph.

23 Jul 1800 Portsmouth, arrived from the Channel fleet.

25 Jul 1800 Plymouth, arrived with the Megaera, and Excellent, from the Channel fleet.

27 Sep 1800 Portsmouth, went out of Harbour, after being refitted.

28 Sep 1800 Portsmouth, departed with the Thames, to join the Channel Fleet.

6 Oct 1800 Portsmouth, departed with the Thames, 32, to join the Channel Fleet.

22 Dec 1800 arrived Plymouth with the Elephant, Prince of Wales, and London, from the Channel Fleet, which they left off the Edystone all well this morning, steering for Torbay.

8 Jan 1801 departed Plymouth to join the Channel fleet at Torbay.

14 Mar 1801 arrived Plymouth, from off Brest, to refit.

31 Mar 1801 departed Cawsand Bay the Mars, R.-Adm. Thornborough, with the Triumph, to join the Channel Fleet.

31 Jul 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from the fleet.

15 Aug 1801 departed Plymouth Sound for Portsmouth, to join Vice-Admiral Sir C. M. Pole, Bart, at that port.

20 Aug 1801 arrived Spithead from Plymouth.

25 Aug 1801 a Court Martial was held on board the Gladiator, in Portsmouth harbour, for the trial of Thomas Crampton, a seaman belonging to HM ship Triumph, for using contemptuous language to, and threatening to strike, Mr. Slaughter, a Midshipman. The charge being proved, he was sentenced to receive three dozen lashes.

26 Aug 1801 departed Spithead with the Triumph, Solebay, Hind, and Prevoyante and William storeships, Netley, and with about 120 sail of merchantmen and transports under convoy, for Gibraltar, Minorca, Malta, and Egypt.

1 Sep 1801 passed by Falmouth to the Westward with the Solebay and a convoy for Oporto, Lisbon and the Mediterranean, which was joined by HM ships Pandora and Hind along with a number of merchant vessels which had been waiting at Falmouth.

2 Sep 1801 passed up the Channel by Plymouth Sound for Torbay, presumably to shelter from bad weather.

3 Sep 1801 arrived Torbay with accompanying ships and other vessels, the wind apparently getting up, since other vessels and convoys also appear to be coming in to use this sheltered bay, from what appears to be a steadily increasing S.W. blow, accompanied by rain.

10 Sep 1801 this morning, before day, the signal guns were fired as the wind blew gently from the E.S.E., and the Gibraltar and Mediterranean convoys, totalling near 100 sail, departed Torbay with the Triumph, Hydra, Solebay, Hind, Prevoyante, Pandour, and Netley, and by 1 p.m. were clearing land.

11 Sep 1801 passed by Plymouth to the westward, the large East-India, Straits, and Newfoundland fleets, outward-bound, under convoy of the Triumph, and Alcmene, with a fine breeze at S. E.

20 Sep 1801 the Triumph, when in company with the Hydra and a convoy, spoke with the Falmouth packet Prince Adolphus off Falmouth.

15 Jan 1802 was reported to be off Gibraltar.

circa 27 Feb 1802 the Penelope, departed Gibraltar for England, leaving the following vessels at Gibraltar : the Caesar, Sir J Saumarez ; the Dreadnought, Capt Vashon ; Superb, Capt Keats ; Triumph, Capt Barlow ; Phoenix, Capt Halsted ; and Leda, Capt Hope.

10 May 1802 was at Gibraltar when the Isis arrived there with HRH Duke of Kent from Falmouth.

1 Jul 1802 was reported that the Triumph had gone with the Active to Algiers to settle a dispute with the Dey when the Pomone departed for England. A letter dated 24 Jun received from Gibraltar says that the visit was caused by the Algerines having detained 3 British vessels, for supposedly using false passes or old ones issued for other vessels ; they have condemned the vessels and sold them. It was suggested in the letter that the only remedy left for the captain of the Triumph was to demand that the crews of these 3 vessels be released from slavery. There was much else on the Algerines making depredations against the ships of other nations, and ordering the American consul to quit his post for not complying with a request, which was beyond his remit.

11 Sep 1802 arrived the Motherbank, and was put under Quarantine, HM sloop Delight, Captain the Hon. F.W. Aylmer, from Gibraltar in 15 days. Left at Gibraltar HM ships Superb, Dragon, and Triumph.

14 Sep 1802 by the latest accounts from Gibraltar, dated the end of August, it appears that the Gibraltar, 84, Triumph, 74, and Dragon, 74, were lying there, waiting to come to England ; but, as a frigate is dispatched with orders for their further stay, at least for the present, it is supposed they will be at the Rock some time longer.

6 Oct 1802 a mutiny took place on board the Gibraltar as her squadron, made up of the Dragon, Gibraltar, Triumph, Superb and Renown departed Gibraltar to rejoin the Admiral in the Mediterranean. See below re the mutiny.

18 Oct 1802 was reported by the Medusa, arrived Gibraltar, from Malta yesterday, to be cruising off Carthagena with the squadron of British ships of the line, Superb, Gibraltar, Triumph and Renown, based in the Mediterranean.

Circa Nov 1802 the Triumph and Agincourt were reported to have been to Algiers with copies of the new Mediterranean passes to the Dey.

28-29 Nov 1802 a letter, as dated, received from the Dragon, supplemented by another from the Superb, both now at anchor in Oristagni Bay, Sardinia which detail how, on the 6th Oct., when orders had been received for the squadron to depart Gibraltar, presumably for Malta, when it was discovered that the ship's company of the Gibraltar, 84, had mutinied, and expressed a wish to sail to the Westward, but the officers and marines soon quelled the the mutiny and the two ring leaders were secured and put on board the Dragon where they were subsequently court martialled and found guilty before being returned to the Gibraltar where they were executed.

29 Nov 1802 it has been reported that in a recent most violent gale the Renown and Triumph parted their cables, but no further damage was reported and being about 8 miles off shore can only conclude that they had plenty of sea room to manoeuvre.

5 Jan 1803 the sloop of war Hound, arrived at the Motherbank from Gibraltar in 16 days, bringing reports that a mutiny had broken out on board the Gibraltar.

13 Jan 1803 letters received Plymouth, from the Triumph, Superb, and Dragon, report that the two ring leaders of the mutineers on board the Gibraltar, were executed on board the Gibraltar in sight of the port of Cagliari, in the island of Sardinia.

3 Mar 1803 the following vessels remained at Valetta when the Hector departed Malta, for England : the Kent, Superb, Triumph, Donegal, Gibraltar, Agincourt, Charon, Expedition, Experiment, Active, Phoebe, Niger, Victorieuse, and Resistance, the Regulus, and Raven, having departed Malta for Egypt, and the Blonde to Naples, the crew of the Raven having been reported to be sick. The Tourterelle, Pandour, were lying at Alexandria ; and the Braakel, guard ship, at Smyrna ; the Anson having departed Malta for Egypt at the latter end of November.

9 Jul 1803 a letter as dated from the Superb reports being 2 miles from Toulon, and that they've been cruising off the port for 2 months ; and that the squadron consists of the following vessels : Kent, Donegal, Superb, Triumph, Monmouth, Gibraltar, Agincourt, Belleisle, Renown ; and the frigates Medusa, and Amphion ; with the Termagent sloop ; and Weasel brig.

21 Jul 1803 the Triumph arrived off Gibraltar in 12 days from the fleet off Toulon. Lord Nelson joined the fleet, 2 days before they sailed, with the Maidstone, Medusa, and Amphion. The Medusa saw the Victory off Sicily on her way to Malta. The fleet were all well ; they had two gales, one of which sprung the bowsprit of the Triumph, and hence her arrival her for repairs. The Doris departs Gibraltar to day to join Adm Campbell off Cadiz. 25 Jul 1803 this letter goes with the Victorieuse, which departs for England with dispatches.

4 Aug 1803 has completed her refit at Gibraltar and will sail shortly to join Lord Nelson off Toulon.

8 Aug 1803 the Triumph departed Gibraltar with the Prevoyante, probably to join Lord Nelson.

Aug 1803, recently arrived off Toulon and joined the squadron in the Mediterranean.

The Hampshire Telegraph of the 10 Oct 1803, reports receipt of a letter from the Victory, off Toulon, dated 1 Sep., brought to England by the frigate Experiment, just arrived at Spithead, stating that the Victory has been cruising there for 5 weeks ; the squadron consists of 6 sail of the line, including also the Kent, Canopus, Superb, Triumph and Renown ; the French squadron remains the same, apart from a frigate and a brig which got into Toulon, from Marseilles, when heavy gales blew the blockading squadron off the coast.

24 Oct 1803, departed for the Magdalena islands for water etc., returned Toulon 23 Nov.

12 Dec 1803, whilst the Narcissus watched Toulon the Fleet departed for the bay of Palma and thence to the Magdalena islands for water etc.

4 Jan 1804 departed with the Mediterranean fleet on a cruise, arriving back at Sardinia on 27th. 1 Feb cruised on the French coast, anchoring off Cabrera on the 8th ; cruised again from the 19 Feb to 25 Mar.

3 Apr 1804 cruised off the French coast apart from returning briefly to the Magdalena islands to water from 11 to 19 May.

Circa Aug 1804 had departed the British fleet off Toulon.

8 Sep 18004 arrived Cadiz.

11 Nov 1804 arrived at the Motherbank, in quarantine, off Ryde, Isle of Wight, from the Mediterranean, last from Lisbon, the Triumph, Capt Sir R Barlow, with Col Wellington, of the Artillery, a passenger from Gibraltar.

13 Nov 1804 is ordered round to Standgate to perform quarantine.

24 Nov 1804 remains at the Motherbank, in quarantine.

2 Dec 1804 released from quarantine the Triumph.

5 Dec 1804 has gone into Portsmouth harbour for repairs.

26 Dec 1804 was paid off at Portsmouth.

3 Jan 1805 the ship's company of the Triumph, 74, were transferred to the Barfleur, 98, when the Triumph paid off.

3 Mar 1805 following another inspection of ships of the line in ordinary in Portsmouth harbour by Sir A.S. Hamond, and Sir Wm Rule, of the Admiralty, having returned to London, left orders for the Triumph, Zealous, Orion, Bellona, Saturn, Canada, Gibraltar, Ganges, San Antonio, Brunswick, to be got ready for commission, and the Prince George be repaired &c., whilst the Cumberland, and Ulysses should be broken up, although as was often the case the latter was still in service at the end of the war, and I note that some vessels recommended for repair &c., were also supposed to have gone through this process last year.

27 Mar 1805 things rarely work out quite as planned, but just for the record, further to the previous paragraph it is hoped to take the Triumph out of Dock at Portsmouth on the 5th Apr., and the Prince George and Zealous on the 15th.

6 May 1805 the Triumph, Capt Inman, recently commissioned, has bent her sails in Portsmouth harbour, preparatory to going out of harbour.

20 May 1805 made a signal at Spithead for a convoy for the Mediterranean. Wind E.

21 May 1805 the Triumph, Capt Inman, and the Leda, Capt Honeyman, dropped down to St Helen's with their convoy of transports.

25 May 1805 the Triumph, Leda, Eurydice, Merlin, and the store ship Prevoyante, with a convoy was observed off Plymouth, with a part of the Newfoundland convoy with the Isis.

29 May 1805 arrived at Cork the Triumph and Leda with their convoy of 35 transports containing the 8th, 24th, and 83rd regiments for foreign service.

15 Jul 1805 with the blockading squadron off Ferrol, under Sir Robert Calder : departed 30 to 40 leagues off Finisterre to intercept Franco-Spanish fleet from the West Indies. 22nd sighted each other. Signal made to engage the enemy - the engagement. The damage ; subsequent manoeuvres by the two fleets ; the wash-up ; 26 Jul 1805 movements of the fleet following the battle.

4 Jan 1806 Sir R. Strachan's squadron fitting for the West Indies at Plymouth. 14th the squadron departed from Cawsand Bay for St.-Helena in search of a French squadron under R.-adm Willaumez.

19 May 1806 departed from Plymouth as part of a squadron under R.-adm Sir R J Strachan to cruise off Madeira and the Canary islands. 8 Aug arrived Barbadoes. 18 Aug. having departed the squadron was separated by a gale.

Early 1807 Bellona and Triumph stationed off the coast of the Chesapeake watching French 74-gun ships Patriote and Eole, have problems with deserters, as did the Belleisle, Melampus, and the Halifax.

1 Jun 1807 C-in-C, North-American station issues an order to the captains under his command, directing, that, in case of meeting the American frigate Chesapeake at sea, and without the limits of the United States, they were to show to her captain that order, and to search his ship for deserters from the "Belleisle, Bellona, Triumph, Chichester, Halifax, and Zenobia cutter," and were to proceed and search for the same.

21 Jun 1807 Leopard arrived off Cape Henry, and anchored company with the Bellona and Melampus and on the 22d, re-anchored with the Triumph.

10-11 Nov 1808 Triumph and Shannon arrive on the scene following Amethyst's capture of the French 40-gun frigate Thétis.

21 Feb 1809 Revenge observed R.-adm Willaumez put to sea from Brest with a squadron of 7 ships of the line, and re-joined her squadron under Captain Beresford (Theseus, Triumph and Valiant) at Glenans, watching Lorient, with the information : they were subsequently chased off the Lorient station by the larger French Squadron.

24 Feb 1809 later that day Rear-admiral Stopford's squadron returned to his station off the Chasseron lighthouse, and observed the squadron of M. Willaumez at anchor in Basque roads, and was joined on the 25th by Captain Beresford and his three ships, with his force thus augmented to seven sail of the line and five frigates, resumed the blockade of the port, with the Hero joining shortly afterwards.

7 Mar 1809 Rear-admiral Stopford's squadron was relieved by Admiral Lord Gambier, making 13 sail of the line, until the Defiance and Triumph parted company.

29 Apr 1810 At Cadiz.

15 May 1810 is reported by the Leda to be at Cadiz.

1813 Harbour Service.

1830 Lazaretto (hospital/quarantine ship), Milford.

20 Dec 1848 Quarantine service at Milford.