Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Unicorn, 1794
Type: frigate ; Armament 32 (18-pounder) (1796)
Launched at Chatham in 1794 ; Disposal date or year : 1815
B.M. 791 tons
Complement : 251 (1796)

8 Jun 1796 in the approaches to the English Channel the re-capture of the French frigate Tamise (late British Thames), by the frigate Santa-Margarita, and the capture of the French frigate Tribune by the Unicorn, following a chase. The Tamise was taken back into the RN under her original name and the Tribune under her present name.

21 Oct 1796 captured the French privateer Enterprise in the Irish Channel.

8 Jan 1797 sighted the Fraternité and her consort, a part of the French fleet from Brest.

11 Jan 1797 captured the French privateer Éclair in the Channel.

11 Jan 1797 Joined the Fleet with news of their meeting of the 8th.

1 Jan 1799 Capt. James Young. Off Ireland.

18 Mar 1799 Plymouth, arrived from a cruise.

27 Mar 1799 Plymouth, in Hamoaze, fitting for sea.

7 May 1799 in Hamoaze.

4 Jun 1799 Plymouth, departed with close orders, to be opened in a certain latitude, the Uranie, San Fiorenzo, and Unicorn.

14 Jun 1799 Plymouth, arrived the French brig St Antonio, prize to the Unicorn frigate.

21 Jul 1799 Plymouth, in consequence of orders from the Admiralty, the Melpomene, Proselyte, Unicorn, Pomone, and Nereide frigates departed for Cork and Waterford, to take in troops for the Downs.

28 Sep 1799 Plymouth, arrived from a cruise.

1 Jul 1799 off Basque road.

7 Jan 1800 Plymouth, arrived L'Huzelle French armed vessel from Cayenne, with passengers, ladies and children, prize to the Beaulieu. She was captured by the Amethyst ; recaptured by La Providence privateer, of 24 guns and 150 men ; sent for Bourdeaux, and again taken and sent here by the Beaulieu and Unicorn. There came passengers Colonel Malonson of Invalids, and Mons. Burnelle, naturalist, with a cabinet of natural curiosities for the French National Museum at Paris. They were in want of necessaries; and one child of 5 years old died in the Sound. M. P. Symonds broker for the prize, very humanely, on L'Huzelle's coming-to in Catwater, sent on board plenty of fresh provision.

23 Mar 1800 Plymouth, came in from off Brest, which they left the 19th inst., Adm. Gardner's squadron, viz. Royal Sovereign, 110, Adm. Gardner, Captain Bedford ; Triumph, 74, Formidable, 98, St George, 98, Caesar, 84, Bellona 74, Magnificent 74, and Unicorn 36. They left Admiral Lord Bridport all well off Brest, with 31 sail of the line.

28 Apr 1800 Plymouth, departed the Unicorn, 32 guns, on a cruise.

10-11 Jun 1800 boats from the Renown, Defence, Fisgard, and Unicorn cut out a number of vessels from St.-Croix.

18 Jun 1800 Plymouth, arrived the Unicorn, 36 guns, Captain Wilkinson, from off the Penmarks, with ten brigs and chasse marees, with provisions and brandy for the French fleet at Brest. 11 sail were cut out from under the batteries by the boats of the Renown, Defence, Fisgard, and Unicorn. One foundered, but the crew were saved.

27 Jun 1800 Plymouth, departed the Unicorn, 32, to join the fleet.

12 Jul 1800 Plymouth, arrived with dispatches for Rear Admiral Whitshead, the Unicorn, 32 guns, Captain Wilkinson : she departed again this evening for the fleet.

14 Aug 1800 Plymouth, letters from the Fisgard, 48, state that the following frigates were cruising off the coast of Spain, viz. Boadicea, 38, Indefatigable, 44, Fisgard, 48, Uranie, 44, and Unicorn, 32.

17 Aug 1800 Plymouth, arrived from off the coast of Spain.

22 Aug 1800 Plymouth, departed to join the Channel fleet, Barfleur, Formidable, 98s, and Unicorn, 32.

21 Oct 1800 Plymouth, arrived from off Corunna, with 160 Spanish prisoners, the Unicorn.

25 Jan 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from a cruise.

14 Feb 1801 departed Plymouth Sound with the Boadicea on a cruise, perhaps in search of the French frigates which were blockaded in at Flushing and are understood to have escaped in the recent gales.

15 Mar 1801 departed Torbay with the fleet which arrived on Thursday evening, the 12th, along with the Unicorn, which arrived Friday evening. See Ville de Paris for details.

13 May 1801 letters received at Plymouth from the Doris, dated the 8th inst., off Camaret Point, state that the Immortalite and Unicorn had looked in to the Outer Road of Brest, and counted distinctly seven three-deckers, thirteen two-deckers, three frigates, and four corvettes, which were apparently ready for sea, with top-gallant yards across.

15 May 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound with six victuallers which sailed last Monday with L'Oiseau, and had discharged their cargoes of bullocks, provisions and beer among the Channel fleet. They left the Fleet all well on Wednesday last.

27 May 1801 went into dock to have her copper examined.

15 Jun 1801 went into Plymouth Sound from Hamoaze.

16 Jun 1801 departed Plymouth Sound with bullocks for the fleets.

10 Aug 1801 ship's boats of the Atalante capture the French national lugger Eveillé when in company with the Unicorn.

14 Aug 1801 in Quiberon Bay. Reports in a letter that they have have "barely a month's provisions," and that despite sending the boats away armed on different occasions, has only been able to capture two chasse marees, both of 40 tons, one laden with lime, and the other with corn, neither worth sending in and were destroyed, in which business a seaman was killed, and one slightly wounded. However, due to the presence of the Unicorn and Atalante, commanding the passages to the westward, this has deterred several French convoys, laying at different places along the coast, from moving.

26 Aug 1801 arrived Spithead the French brig Bastien, in ballast, taken by the Unicorn, in Quiberon Bay.

1 Sep 1801 arrived Plymouth, La Hirondelle, French chase marée, cut out of Quiberon by the boats of the Unicorn.

15 Sep 1801 came into Plymouth Sound the Unicorn, Capt C Wemyss, from a cruise in the Bay.

22 Sep 1801 departed Plymouth Sound on a cruise.

16 Nov 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from the Eastward.

26 Nov 1801 departed Plymouth to join the fleet in Torbay.

2 Dec 1801 arrived Spithead the Unicorn, from the Channel Fleet.

7 Dec 1801 departed Spithead, but due to contrary winds drifted on the Horse Bank, but it is hoped she will be got off at the next flood.

28 Dec 1801 remained with the Channel Fleet in Torbay with the Ville de Paris.

23 Jan 1802 now under weigh, to depart Torbay, the frigates Unicorn, Indefatigable, and Sirius, along with the sloop, understood to be the Sylph, on the proverbial cruise.

9 Feb 1802 arrived Torbay and departed later on her cruise, having, like many vessels, sheltered from the contrary winds, rain and bad weather.

29 Mar 1802 this morning a seaman's wife of the Unicorn, 32, lying in the Sound, fell overboard and was drowned, though she was soon picked up by the jolly-boat's crew, lying alongside. Mr. Eastlake, Coroner for the borough, took an inquisition on the body at the Pier House, and the jury found a verdict of Found Drowned.

29 Apr 1802 arrived Spithead the Unicorn, 32, Captain Wemyss, from Plymouth.

2 May 1802 departed Spithead for the Downs.

6 May 1802 arrived in the Downs.

7 May 1802 departed the Downs with seamen for Leith.

10 May 1802 arrived in Yarmouth Roads.

26 May 1802 arrived in the Downs from Leith.

28 May 1802 departed the Downs for Spithead.

30 May 1802 arrived Spithead the Unicorn, 36, Captain Stuart, from the Downs.

11 Jun 1802 departed Spithead the Unicorn, Captain Stuart for the Downs.

14 Jun 1802 arrived in the Downs from Portsmouth and remains.

15 Jun 1802 departed the Downs for the Northward.

26 Oct 1802 arrived in N. Yarmouth Roads, from Stockholm.

2 Nov 1802 remains in the Roads at Yarmouth.

11 Nov 1802 departed Yarmouth for Sheerness.

15 Nov 1802 arrived Sheerness.

6 Jan 1803 at Sheerness it is reported that the Unicorn is to be paid off and laid up in ordinary in a day or so.

21 Jan 1803 paid off at Sheerness.

Feb 1803 put in Ordinary.

10 May 1803 nearly ready to be commissioned at Chatham.

13 Jun 1803 arrived Sheerness.

17 Jun 1803 the Unicorn, and hired cutter Griffin, departed Sheerness with a convoy for the Baltic.

29 Jun 1803 remains in N Yarmouth Roads with her convoy for the Baltic.

30 Jun 1803 the Unicorn, Hound, sloop, and Griffin, cutter, departed with the Baltic convoy, but brought up again. They sailed again this morning with pleasant weather and an ENE wind.

18 Aug 1803 the Amaranthe arrived N Yarmouth with the Unicorn, frigate ; Diligence, armed ship ; Mallard, gun brig ; and 2 cutters ; and a convoy of 300 merchant vessels, homeward-bound, from the Baltic. The ships for Liverpool departed company about nine days since, to go north about, under convoy of the Carysfort frigate.

19 Aug 1803 the Amaranthe, her support vessels and convoy sailed this morning to the southward. However it is noted further down the column that 200 men were pressed into service in the RN from the convoy, which resulted in 5 ships being unable to proceed, and had to remain at N Yarmouth in want of a crew.

20 Aug 1803 arrived at Sheerness with what was left of her convoy from the Baltic, after the vessels had departed for their various destinations.

23 Aug 1803 paid at Sheerness.

25 Aug 1803 departed sheerness.

25 Sep 1803 arrived N Yarmouth a large bark under neutral colours sent in by the Unicorn, laden with rye and linseed.

29 Sep 1803 sent in the Der Unge Gerhard, Rickarts, from St Thomas's, for Bremen, with sugar, rum and tobacco.

11 Oct 1803 arrived N Yarmouth from a cruise.

13 Oct 1803 the sloop William and Thomas, Wm White, was bound from Gottenburgh with iron and deals, when taken by a Dutch schooner privateer off Teignmouth Castle on 4 Oct., but having been recaptured by the Unicorn off the Texel, subsequently arrived this day in the roads off N Yarmouth.

18 Oct 1803 departed Yarmouth.

9 May 1804 arrived N. Yarmouth Roads, and remains with the Stately, 64 ; Ruby, 64 ; Unicorn, and 2 cutters.

30 Jun 1804 boarded the Ceres, Laws, bound from Christiana to N Yarmouth with Deals, about 9 leagues off the Vlie.

1 Oct 1804 remains at Sheerness.

30 Oct 1804 the Unicorn and gun brig Assault sent into Plymouth a French gun boat that they'd captured close into the shore on the other side of the Channel. She was noted as being a low, flat, long vessel, calculated to run upon a beach with troops.

23 Nov 1804 arrived in the Downs from the Nore.

25 Nov 1804 arrived Spithead, the Unicorn, Capt Hardyman ; the Hyaena, Capt Fahie ; the Curlew, Capt Northey ; with a large convoy from the Downs, which included Capt Watson's division of transports.

24 Dec 1804 departed Spithead with the Swift sloop and a large convoy for the West Indies.

4 May 1805 captured the French privateer Temprebort.

May 1805 Leeward Island Station.

6 May 1805 ship's boats captured the French cutter privateer Tape-à-bord.

5 Jan - Sep 1807 operations in the Rio de la Plata.

3 Feb 1807 killed and wounded at Monte Video from on board the Unicorn : John James, Ordinary Seaman, Henry Smith, Midshipman, badly wounded.

7 Mar - Apr 1809 had arrived in Basque roads. 11 Apr the use of fire ships, explosion-vessels, and Congreve rockets against the French fleet at Basque roads and the results thereof. 12 Apr attempt made to destroy grounded French vessels, following the previous night's attack.

3 Feb 1810 captured the French privateer Gascon.

12 Apr 1810 off the isle of Ré, captured the late British 22-gun ship Laurel, at this time named Espérance, armed en flute.

17 Mar 1811 has sent in to Plymouth the Danish brig Singende Carolina, from St. Thomas's.

30 Nov 1811 has sent in to Plymouth the American vessel June, from Baltimore to Bourdeaux.

28 Jan 1812 has sent in to Plymouth two American ships from Baltimore, detained for breach of blockade.

9 Jan 1813 has been refitted in Hamoaze and is now anchored in the Sound.

11 Jan 1813 remains Plymouth.

25 Jan 1813 arrived Plymouth from a cruise off the coast of France.

30 Mar 1813 captured the French privateer Miquelonnaise at sea.

26 Apr 1813 has detained and sent in to Plymouth the 2 gun letter of marque Hebe from Philadelphia, bound to France, with 15 men (formerly HBM's schooner Laura, captured by the Diligent, French privateer, coast of North America, 8 Sep 1812, Lieut. C. Newton Hunter).

22 Jun 1813 departed Plymouth with a convoy for the eastward.

27 Jun 1813 at Portsmouth appointed to the North American convoy.

6 Sep 1813 has passed by Plymouth, up the Channel, with a convoy from Lisbon.

21 Nov 1813 departed Yarmouth for the Texel.

20 Dec 1813 departed Yarmouth.

10 Sep 1814 arrived Leith on Thursday from the coast of Norway.