Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Wolverine, 1836
Type: Brig-sloop ; Armament 16
Launched : 13 Oct 1836 ; Disposal date or year : 8 Nov 1855
Disposal Details : Wrecked on Courtown Bank
BM: 428 tons

Malta 18 Aug 1837 arrived from Messina and Syracuse and has since departed for the Coast of Spain.

9 Jan 1839 at Malta.

26 Jan 1839 departed Malta for Gibraltar.

Per a report made to Parliament in 1842, at some time during 1839 the Sloop Wolverine, 16 guns, Complement: 115 was involved in combatting the Slave Trade and experienced 17 Deaths, for which no reason is given.

Feb 1839 Malta The Wolverine and Harlequin have been despatched to Sierra Leone and Gambia to cruise after slavers.

13 Feb 1839 arrived Gibraltar from Malta.

28 Mar 1839 arrived West Bay, Princes [Island ?].

8 Apr 1839 detained in lat. 1° 45' N., long. 7° 43' E., off Prince's Island, the Portuguese slave schooner Passos, Joao Antonio Rodriguez, master, with 87 slaves on board, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Portuguese Court of Mixed Commission, Sierra Leone, and on 11 May 1839 sentenced to be condemned.

16 Apr 1839 at sea in lat. 1° 44’ S. long. 4° 13' E.

26 Apr 1839 at Ascension.

23 May 1839 detained in the Rio Congo the Spanish slave brig Vigilante, ID No. 2669, Francisco José de Souza, master, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Spanish Mixed Court of Justice, Sierra Leone, and on 25 Jun 1839 sentenced to be condemned.

17 Aug 1839 It is reported from Sierra Leone that on the 2 Jun 1839 the boats of the Wolverine were fired upon by the Spanish schooner Tres Emanuel, ID No 2607, 77 tons, sailing with Portuguese papers under the name of the Maria Segunda, when they approached the slave vessel wounding one man. The Case, as usual was brought before the British and Spanish Mixed Court of Justice, Sierra Leone, and on investigation it was discovered that the Tres Emanuel had been sunk by gun fire from the Wolverine after the Tres Emanuel had fired into the ship's boats wounding one of the men. The court therefore concluded the case roughly as follows : in our Despatch, marked "Spain," of the 17th August last, an unsuccessful attempt had been made to bring into court a Spanish vessel named the "Tres Emanuel," alias "Maria Segunda;" but as this vessel was totally destroyed in the river Congo by Captain Tucker, of Her Majesty's sloop "Wolverine," in consequence of her having wantonly fired into one of the boats of that ship, she was, like the "Carolina" just mentioned, as effectually withdrawn from the Slave Trade, as if a sentence of condemnation had been passed on her by the court, and thus couldn't be condemned again by the Court.

15 Jun 1839 Portsmouth Lieutenant Rowlett, late of the Dolphin, recently arrived from the West Coast of Africa reports that the Wolverine was on station and all well.

23 Jun 1839 detained in Whydah Roads the Brazilian slave brig Emprendedor / Emprehendedor, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Brazilian Court of Mixed Commission, Sierra Leone, and on 31 Aug 1839 sentenced to be condemned.

25 Jul 1839 detained at Whydah the Portuguese slave brig Firmeza / Fermeza, A. da C. Baptista, master, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Brazilian Court of Mixed Commission, Sierra Leone, and on 14 Sep 1839 sentenced to be condemned.

12 Sep 1839 detained at Lagos the Brazilian slave brigantine Pampeiro, J. M. Ribas, master, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Brazilian Court of Mixed Commission, Sierra Leone, and on 30 Oct 1839 sentenced to be condemned.

8 Oct 1839 in lat 9 39 N lon 5 36 E.

20 Oct 1839 exchanged correspondence when off Cape Coast Castle with the Dutch governor when attempting to obtain permission to search a Dutch vessel.

28 Oct 1839 Cape Coast Castle, attempting to obtain permission to search a likely slave vessel at Fort St. George d'Elmina, which was not approved by the governor of the Fort, then in the hands of the Netherlands, which will be the subject of some diplomatic questions.

30 Oct 1839 at sea in lat. 3° 44’ N. long. 1° 27' W.

Per a report made to Parliament in 1842, at some time during 1840 was involved in combatting the Slave Trade and experienced 1 Death by Accident, Total No of Deaths: 7, but regret that no reason is given for the balance.

15 Jan 1840 whilst flying the American flag was plainly a Spanish vessel and detained accordingly in the River Nun, by the ship's boats, the Spanish slave schooner Lark, T. M. Solomon captain of the flag, was sent for adjudication to the British and Spanish Mixed Court of Justice, Sierra Leone, and on 9 Mar 1840 sentenced to be condemned.

16 Jan 1840 detained in the River Nun, by the ship's boats, the Spanish slave schooner Asp, Wilson L. Weems, master, and whilst not carrying any slaves was found to be fitted out for the slave trade and was therefore sent for adjudication to the British and Spanish Mixed Court of Justice, Sierra Leone, and on 9 Mar 1840 sentenced to be condemned. Whilst the vessel flew the American flag when detained her Spanish ownership was proved beyond doubt.

27 Jan 1840 is reported to have called at Cape Coast Castle.

2 Mar 1840 arrived Sierra Leone.

7 Mar 1840 the US vessel Grampus arrived at Sierra Leone, and made agreement per earlier correspondence.

16 Mar 1840 lat. 5° 9' N., long. 9° 28' W., fell in with, briefly, the U.S. corvette of war Cyane.

21 Mar 1840 departed Sierra Leone.

26 Mar 1840 at the settlement at Cape Mesurado, Liberia, where the US Brig of war Dolphin was at anchor.

27 Mar 1840 chased an American ship into New Sestos and wrote to the commanding officer of the U.S. schooner Grampus, requesting that he should examine her, and before departing left instructions for a watch to be maintained on New Sestos in view of the 2-3,000 slaves that were reported to be in the barracoons.

2 Apr 1840 detained and sent into Sierra Leone a Brazilian brig bound for Lagos, with a cargo for the purchase of slaves. After touching at Cape Coast and Accra, I visited all the slaving places in the Bight of Benin.

3 Apr 1840 at lat. 4° 31' N., 6° 28' W., at sea, reports meeting the French vessels of war "La Malonne," brig, Lieutenant Commander Bonet, at Accra ; "La Rachel," colonial schooner of war, Ensign Court-Coucnet, at Sierra Leone. That the French Commodore Montaignes de la Roque, and lately in the Bights, and in the River Gaboon, and that "La Fine," French brig of war, and the French brigs of war "La Cigale," "La Belette," "L'Aigle d'Or," and "L'Erebe" steamer, French colonial vessels of war, are on the coast of Senegal.

9 Apr 1840 in lat. 4° 49 N., long. 4° 22' W. reports that on 8th Apr I boarded the brig "Freedom," of Bristol, John Farr, master, Richard and William King, owners, who could not produce the Custom-house certificate that the owners had entered into a bond that the casks and packs on board were intended to carry palm-oil.

11 Apr 1840 in lat. 4° 27 N., long. 2° 13' W. reports that on 10th Apr I boarded the brig "St. George," belonging to the West African Company, London, who could not produce the Custom-house certificate that the Company had entered into a bond that the casks and packs on board were intended to carry palm-oil.

23 Apr 1840 in lat. 3° 35 N., long. 4° 40' E. sent a letter to Rear-Admiral Elliot, Sir, I have the honour to inform you that I this day boarded, about noon, the merchant-barque "Bombay Packet," of Liverpool, C. and J. B. Horsfall, owners, Charles Came, master ; and I beg to call your attention to the following statement, and to request you will be pleased to apply to my Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, to represent to the owners of the said barque the serious evil attending such proceedings on the part of their master on the station (which requires all the attention, forethought, and energy of the commanders of the cruizers to suppress the inhuman traffic in slaves), that, by such wantonness or foolish stubbornness on the part of the said master, Her Majesty's ships and vessels may not unnecessarily be taken out of their way, by which opportunities may be given for slave-vessels to escape.
A little before daylight of this morning a barque was seen on this sloop's port or lee-bow, apparently close to, when the course was immediately altered and sails trimmed for her. When broad daylight, the ensign and pendant were hoisted, and a blank cartridge fired from the chase-gun (9 lb.). At 5h. 45m, a shot was fired a-head of her, to neither of which was any attention paid, when all possible sail was made in chase. The wind gradually fell light, and about 10 A.M. a calm, when I sent Lieutenant Levinge away to board her. After the boat had left some time the barque hoisted English colours ; and another vessel was seen from our mast-heads, bearing about south-south-east, and for which I was prevented making sail - a breeze having in the mean time sprung up - until the return of the boat. The only excuse that the master made for not shortening sail was, that he did not know what this vessel was, although the ensign and pendant were flying, two guns fired, and a look-out man at each mast-head. The consequence of his conduct was, that this sloop was taken four points from her course and about twelve miles to leeward, by which she was taken away from the vessel seen, now dead to windward, and from the probability of examining her, in consequence of its being now too late in the day, P.M.
I cannot conceive, Sir, that any respectable owners of the present day, when the country is put to such an enormous expense for the suppression of the Slave Trade, will sanction the masters of their vessels in such foolish conduct as drawing from their station or course Her Majesty's cruizers (obliged to board and examine every vessel strictly), particularly now, as several English vessels are said to be engaged in the Slave Trade. I have, &c., (Signed) William Tucker, (b), Commander.

29 Apr 1840 arrived at West Bay, Princes.

30 Apr 1840 departed at daylight to intercept, if possible, a slave-vessel reported to be standing to the southward with a cargo of slaves.

7 May 1840 after an unsuccessful cruize, arrived again at Princes to refit and copper the sloop's bottom, and complete wood and water. The Viper, Harlequin, and Lynx were here, the latter about to sail for her cruizing ground, whilst the Viper was being refitted as a brigantine, as reported in my letter of the 8th.

11 May 1840 departed with the Harlequin.

9 May 1840 Lieutenant Reginald Thomas John Levinge, appointed to the Wolverene from the Melville

12 May 1840 the Harlequin parted for England and Spithead, via Ascension and Sierra Leone, with the Quarterly Returns, in consequence of the Commander-in-Chief being ordered to India.

12 May 1840 in lat. 1° 27' N., long. 6° 43' E., off Princes Island, departed for the Gabon River, to present King Denny, of that settlement, with a medal from Queen Victoria, for protecting a boat's craw of the Lynx last year.

18 Jul 1840 Clerk --- Bateman, of the Wolverine, to be acting purser, appointed by Commander Tucker.

15 Sep 1840 detained in lat. 3° 59' N., long. 5° 48' E., the Spanish slave brigantine Palmira, N. Aldavo, master, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Spanish Mixed Court of Justice, Sierra Leone, and on 19 Oct 1840 sentenced to be condemned.

19 Sep 1840 Lieutenant Norcock, Mate of the Wolverine, appointed to be acting Lieutenant and Commander of the Forester.

29 Sep 1840 at lat. 6° 21' N., long. 3° 10' E. when writing to Mr. O'Ferrall at the Admiralty regarding the Danish territory at Attocco, which he has recently visited, where slave dealers are operating without hindrance and the Danish authorities appear unable to do anything about it, resulting in Lord Palmerston writing to the British Ambassador in Denmark asking if he would clarify whether the Danes will expel the slave traders or whether they would be content for the British to do so ?

14 Oct 1840 detained in lat. 3° 58' 0" N. 0° 3' 0" E. off Prampram, the Brazilian slave vessel Gratidao, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Brazilian Court of Mixed Commission, Sierra Leone, and on 16 Nov 1840 sentenced to be condemned.

31 Oct 1840, Commander W. Tucker, of the Wolverine, promoted to the rank of Captain.

23 Oct 1840 Sierra Leone, Mate Thurburn has brought in a prize, the 11th capture in 20 months.

9 Nov 1840 detained in the River Gaboon the Brazilian slave vessel Emilia, alias Flor de Rio, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Brazilian Court of Mixed Commission, Sierra Leone, and on 1 Sep 1840 sentenced to be condemned. It is believed that this vessel was subsequently purchased by the Niger Expedition for £330, but the spelling for this vessel appears to be variable, varying between Emilia / Emelia and Amelia etc.

12 Dec 1840 Mate J. P. Thurburn, promoted to be Acting Lieutenant of the Wolverine.

??? 1840, captured the island of Corisco by assault, and destroyed the slave factories with the loss of 10 killed and wounded. See p. 306 at at

Per a report made to Parliament in 1842, at some time during 1841 was involved in combatting the Slave Trade and experienced 5 Deaths, for which no reason is given. Her Complement has been increased to 116.

18 Mar 1841 at sea in lat 4 14 N lon 8 44 W. Further to the Foreign Office's letter regarding the detention of the American brig Douglas by the Lieut Seagram in the Termagant, came up with Lieut Seagram yester off the Kroo Coast

20 Mar 1841 Mate G. L. Norcock (1836), of the Wolverine, appointed to command the Forester, promoted to lieutenant.

31 Mar 1841 Wolverine and Lynx detained in lat. 6° 8' N., long. 1° 37' E., off Popoe, following a chase of ten hours, by the Wolverine, the Spanish slave schooner Liberal, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Spanish Mixed Court of Justice, Sierra Leone, and on 5 May 1841 sentenced to be condemned : 24 Apr 1843 tonnage bounty and proceeds arising now due.

29 Jul 1841 is reported to be on her way home to England, to be paid off.

4 Aug 1841 Mr. N. Sharp (late Wolverine), passed for Lieutenant, on board the Queen, at Portsmouth.

John Campbell, carpenter's crew of the Wolverine, reported to her Captain, William Tucker, that the English vessel William Rathbone, James Hemingway, master had been involved in the slave trade in North West Bay, Fernando Po, having 75 slaves on board, which was also communicated to Lieut Oliver, of the Fair Rosamond circa 7 Oct 1839. Also that 2 seamen on board the Curlew, Samuel Cowkey, and John MacBride, were witnesses and know more about it. A Robert Hutchins, was said to have been the first mate of the Wm Rathbone, and John Hamilton, Second Mate.

12 Aug 1841 the Admiralty has directed their solicitors to take the necessary steps to prosecute the parties concerned with William Rathbone for infractions of the Act 5th George 4 Cap 113. Source FO 84-384 Admiralty 1841 May-Aug p 639.

21 Aug 1841 arrived Plymouth, from the Coast of Africa, and departed the following day for the Eastward to be paid off. She brought home from Africa Captain Nurse of the Iris who was sent to hospital on the Wolverine's arrival, but he expired the following day.

18 Dec 1841 Captain J. S. W. Johnson, appointed to command the Wolverine, at Chatham.

22 Jan 1842 fired a royal salute for H.M. of Prussia at the Nore.

23 Feb 1842 departed Portsmouth, for China, with despatches and supernumeraries for the fleet.

26 Feb 1842 arrived Plymouth Sound in view of contrary winds preventing her sailing down the Channel on her passage to China.

10 Mar 1842 departed Plymouth for China.

14 May 1842 at Simon's Bay.

14 Jul 1842 touched at Singapore en route from England to China.

20 Dec 1842 departed Hong Kong in company with the Dido and Endymion, with a convoy, for Singapore.

10 May 1845 Penang, when the news of the wrecking of the Briton was received, proceeded to the assistance of those involved in the wreck. Per La Mauricien of 24 Feb.

Aug 1845 Vice-Admiral Sir T Cochrane, with HM ships Agincourt, Vestal, Daedalus, Wolverine, Cruizer, Royalist, and Vixen, steamer, and the HEIC Steamers Pluton and Nemesis, had gone on to Borneo in the beginning of August - see also p. 329-> at at

Sep 1845 Attack on pirates at Malloodoo Bay, pirate Seriff Housman - see below.

1846 China and India Station

29 Aug 1846 The "Daniel Watson" reports that HM Frigate Daedalus, Capt, McQuoid ; Frigate Vestal, Capt Talbot ; Brig Wolverine ; and the steam Vulture were lying at Hong Kong ; the Daedalus was expected to sail for NZ. Orders had been received at Hong Kong to give up Chusan to the Chinese.

7 Mar 1847 departed for England from the Cape of Good Hope in company with the Hazard

20 Dec 1848 Sloop. Chatham.

19 Sep 1850 A captured slaver was brought into St. Helena on this date. Shipping Gazette.

Jan 1848 Chatham, in Ordinary (reserve)

8 Jul 1850 detained in lat. 5° 42' N. Long. 4° 10' E., a Brazilian slave felucca, Name Unknown.

15 Aug 1850 detained in lat. 5° 48' N. Long. 2° 34' E., the Brazilian slave schooner Flor de Camamu / Camamune.

Dec 1850 The Industrioso, a brig of about 200 tons, appeared on the coast, under the Sardinian flag, and was boarded by the Philomel near Loango, the first time with a cargo of farinha and aguadente and secondly, with a small portion of her cargo still remaining, viz., a few casks of aguadente, and some bags of coffee, with 18 casks of water, all entered and duly signed by the proper authorities at Rio, which was left on board nominally for sale, but as an excuse for remaining on this coast. This vessel was closely watched and boarded by the Philomel, and more especially by the Wolverene and her boats, nearly twenty times, in the vicinity of notorious places of shipment, it being quite evident what her character was, it not being even kept a secret ashore ; but not having anything of a tangible nature on board, no officer would take the responsibility on himself to seize her. After trying to elude the vigilance of the Wolverene and her officers in her boats, whose zeal was unremitting for about three months, she left the coast and went to St. Thomas's. About a month afterwards she again appeared near her former haunts, and was eventually captured by the Wolverene with 370 slaves on board, and dispatched to Sierra Leone but, owing to calm, light and variable winds, she made a most protracted passage ; and from the weak state of the slaves when taken, the mortality amongst these poor unfortunate beings was quite deplorable, and which sacrifice of life would have been prevented if the vessel could have been legally detained.
Note: at the time of writing I can find no details regarding the detention of this vessel.

15 Feb 1851 detained in Lat. 3° 45' N. Long. 10° 45' E., a slave brig, Name Unknown, supposed late Sardinian brig Industrioso, Jose Mora, master, with 371 slaves on board, which was sent for adjudication to the Vice-Admiralty Court at Sierra Leone and on 10 Apr 1851 sentenced to be condemned.

17 Apr 1851 Commander Falcon, commanding officer of H.M. sloop Wolverene later commented that the Vincitore (Sardinian brig) having, on the 16th April, at Cabenda, embarked the notorious slave-dealer Martinez and ten other passengers, principally Portuguese, for a passage to Ambriz, I considered it my duty to see her clear off my station, and left her on the evening of the 17th well to the southward of Red Point. Martinez gives out that he is going to Lisbon.

5 May 1851 when off Little Loango the ship's cutter fell in with 5 Cabenda boats full of slaves : detained 2 of these vessels, whilst the other three were run on shore, the boats having been destroyed in the surf. The crew of the cutter being on half rations and not therefore having any food for the slaves they were released ashore, as were the crews of the boats. It is presumed that the slave were intended for the Vincitore, who was unable to embark the slaves as the supply of food and materials required for the slaves were interrupted by the Hecla and the Wasp's pinnace.

10 May 1851 in Loango Bay. Since the ship is now also on reduced rations it is intended to depart shortly, if the senior officer does not arrive, for St. Helena and to return here when provisioned etc.

30 Aug 1851 Coast of Africa

Proceedings of the Squadron on the Coast of Borneo by an Eye-Witness.
(From the Nautical Magazine, for January, 1846).
The squadron left Penang so unexpectedly, that many of the officers, even those of superior rank, narrowly missed being left behind. When assembled at Malacca, a steamer was despatched to Singapore, which shortly rejoined having on board Mr. Brooke and Captain Bethune, RN. These gentlemen having remained a day or two in communication with the Commander-in-Chief, returned to Singapore. It being known that Captain Bethune had been lately with Mr. Brooke at Sarawak, it was inferred that something was in view in that quarter ; and this supposition gained ground when, on the 24th of July, the Admiral received them again on board the Agincourt, the squadron being then at anchor off the Buffalo rock in Singapore Strait. At day light on the 26th, the squadron weighed and proceeded to the east, consisting of Agincourt, Vestal, Daedalus, Cruizer, Osprey, Wolverine, Vixen, Nemesis, and Pluto. In the course of the morning, the Osprey parted company for Singapore and New South Wales.

On the 28th [Jul, 1845] we were off the mouth of the Sarawak, and at daylight the Commander-in-Chief, with a party, went up the river in the Pluto, to pay a visit to Mr. Brooke's capital. The squadron anchored off Tanjong Po, and he returned the following day. The Pluto unfortunately had grounded, and sustained some damage, which rendered it necessary to beach her ; we proceeded to the northward, and had a pleasant run along the coast : we found the charts very erroneous. The flag-ship, however, appeared to view boldly, her master Mr. Ellyet, it was said, having already been on the coast in the Dido. On the 6th of August we were off the Brune River. While running in, the Agincourt touched on a knoll and hung for a short time. She came off without damage, with the exception of running into the Nemeses, which was coming to her assistance, and knocked over her funnel. This accident prevented our entering the river, so coming to an anchor, the next morning we dropped out into deep water. A boat conveying Mr. Brooke was despatched to the town. which returned the following day ; and shortly after a rajah, apparently of high rank, arrived rived to compliment the Admiral. He was received with all the honours, and had a long. interview. What passed I know not, but the result was that the next day, the 7th, a party of 160 marines, the band, &c., was embarked on board the Vixen, and she, the Nemesis and Pluto (which vessels had made good their damages), accompanied by three or four armed pinnaces, proceeded up the river of Brune, having the admiral and a large party of officers on board. At the bar, just below Palo Chesmise, there was found too little water for the Vixen ; the flag and army were, therefore, transferred to the small steamer, which proceeded off the town. The admiral, attended by his suite, paid a visit to the sultan, and active negociations (sic) appeared to be going on.

In the course of the afternoon, the Vixen made her appearance, Commander Giffard having succeeded in forcing her over the bar in her own draft. Up to this time no visible symptoms had offered, and we began to fear that nothing would take place. During the night there was a slight confusion on board the Vixen, where the whole force had re-assembled, owing to some fancy having been entertained that she had been boarded by an enemy. The commander's appearance on deck, however, soon restored order, and on his endeavouring to arrive at the cause of the disorder, a sentry who had been calmly walking his post on the paddle-box, gave it as his opinion that "It was only Mr._______ a-dreaming."

On the forenoon of the next day, the 10th [Aug, 1845], it appeared that the Admiral had demanded that a certain chief, Panquera Usof, should be given up, be having behaved ill in the matter of some slaves. Usof apparently disliked the terms, whatever they were, for about noon his house was pointed out as the object to be attacked, and the steamers moved into position. It was admirably situated for a little practice, being quite isolated from the town, and exposed on all sides; the arrangements were very judicious. The Vixen was laid opposite the principal front ; the Pluto, with the marines, ran up a branch of the river to a point where her fire would cross that of the Vixen at right angles, and a place was found for the Nemesis midway betwixt the two. Had poor Usof's house been of adamant instead of mats, it must have come down in five minutes.

The arrangements being completed, the Vixen fired a 32 lb. shot through the roof of the house, just to give warning we were ready ; this was replied to by some half dozen guns, the shot passing over the Vixen. The three steamers then opened, and in ten minutes the house was riddled. I believe every one ran away on the first discharge, and they acted wisely, for the effect of the Vixen's grape and cannister was terrific. The firing having ceased, the marines advanced, and took possession of the frontier. Twenty-one brass guns were brought off, and a powder magazine (within twenty paces of which a shed fallen behind) destroyed. The houses were handed over to the Sultan. and the party re-embarked: The Sultan then gave permission to the populace to plunder it, and they were not slow in availing themselves of the permission.

The admiral returned to the squadron the following day, and ran over to the island of Labuan. When the steamer had completed taking in the wood. which in the mean- time had been collected by the Cruizer and Wolverine, having the carpenter of the squadron on board, we all moved to the northward; and on the road learned that there was another job in prospect. On the 17th we were assembled in Malluda Bay; in the evening the captains met by signal on board the flag ship, and received the plan of attack on Seriff Housman, a notorious pirate, harbour-ing in one of the rivers at the head of the bay.

Pursuant to these orders, on the morning of the 18th [Aug, 1845] all the small-arm men and marines moved to the Vixen and other steamers, and they taking the Cruizer, Wolverine, and the gun-boats in tow, moved up the bay as far as the depth of water would permit. The Pluto went on to pick out the channel, but shortly got aground. The admiral, whose flag was in the Vixen. anxious not to lose time, then directed Captain Talbot to put what men he could in the boats and proceed. Accordingly, about 300 blue jackets and 200 marines embarked in the boats; the details as follows:- To com-mand the whole, Captain Talbot, Vestal, as-sisted by Commander Fanshawe, Cruizer, to command the landing party, Acting-Commander Lyster, Agincourt, assisted by Com-mander Clifford, Wolverine, and Lieutenant Paynter, Agincourt, as Adjutant, - command-ing H.M. Marines Captain Hawkins, R.N.

H.M. ship Agincourt, second barge Lieutenant Paynter, Mr. May, mate, Mr. Patrick, Assistant-surgeon.- Launch, Lieutenant Lowther, Mr. Burton, midshipman, Mr. Burnaby, midshipman, Mr. Whipple, assistant-surgeon.- Pinnace, Mr. Reeve, mate, in charge of the rocket party.- Second cutter, Mr. Lincoe, midshipman.- In Wolverine, Daedalus and Nemesis cutters, in charge of the first company of small arm men, .Lieutenant Reid, Mr. Young, mate, Mr Hotham, midshipman.

H.M. ship Vestal, barge, pinnace, and cutter, Lieutenant Morritt, Lieutenant Pascoe, Mr. Pym, second master, Mr. Durbin, mate.
H.M. ship Daedalus, pinnace, barge, and cutter, Lieutenant Randolph, Mr. Nolloth, mate. Mr. Wilkinson, second master.,
H.M. steam-vessel Vixen, pinnace and cutter, Lieutenant Wilcox, Mr. Dent, mate, Mr. Sainsbury, midshipman.
H. M. sloop Cruizer, pinnace and cutter, Lieutenant Rodney, Mr. _______ , midshipman.
H.M. sloop Wolverine, pinnace and cutter, Lieutenant Hillyar, Mr. Gibbard, mate.

Lieutenant Heard, senior lieutenant of H.M. ship Samarang (supernumerary on board Agincourt) in the Pluto's boats, in charge of the Agincourt's field piece. Lieutenants Hambly, Dyer, Kennedy, and Mansell, of the Royal Marines, distributed with their parties.

Captain Talbot was accompanied by Mr. Brookes. Malay interpreter, Mr. Williams a volunteer, and two Malay pilots from Brune.

The boats started against a strong breeze ; the channel was so difficult to discover, that they were obliged to anchor outside the bar, at seven p.m. At half-past ten p.m. the tide enabled the boats to pass the bar and anchor at the mouth of the rover for the night. At seven a.m. the next day, the 19th of August, [1845], the boats weighed at quarter flood in two divisions, and proceeded up the river, carrying two fathoms water the whole way, the gigs leading and sounding. The course of the river trends generally to the S.S.W., with small reaches trending to the southward and eastward, with an average breadth of sixty yards, the banks covered with close jungle, lined with mangrove bushes fringing the edges.

Three miles up the river, Captain Talbot went ahead to reconnoitre, and rejoined two miles higher up, with information that the next bend would place the boats in front of the batteries and stockade, and that a boom of large size was thrown across the river 250 or 300 hundred yards below the fort. The launch and second barge of the Agincourt, the barge of the Vestal, and launch of the Daedalus were then, ordered up with directions to form line abreast, to anchor by the stern when close up to the boom, and keep up a fire, whilst the three cutters under Lieutenant Reid, Mr. Young, and Mr. Gibbard, were directed under cover of the fire of the gun-boats to clear away the boom, the Vixen's and Vestal's pinnaces to close up in the interval, and the remainder of the boats to be the reserve, and act as ordered.

Whilst Captain Lyster was preparing to carry out these instructions, a flag of truce made its appearance from the fort. The boats were immediately ordered to anchor in two lines, Captain Talbot demanded an unconditional surrender of Seriff Housman in half an hour. The flag of truce urged the wish of Housman to have a consultation with him, it was refused, and the flag left; in the meanwhile the boats had taken up their positions in the following manner: the Agincourt's launch close in on the left bank touching the boom, the Vixen's pinnace next, and the Daedalus' launch next; on the right bank was the Vestal's barge. then the Agincourt's second barge, the Pluto's cutter, and the gigs of the commanding officers. The three cutters with the carpenters, under Captain Lyster, employed themselves trying to unshackle the cable and clear the boom of the shore.

In a quarter of an hour another flag of truce came down the river and stated that Seriff Housman would allow two boats inside the boom during the conference. He was answered that the half hour was nearly up, and that if Seriff Housman did not surrender, action would commence. The flag of truce instantly returned, shot round a small turn of the river, hauled down the flag, and the batteries commenced firing, which was immediately returned. The 12-pound carronades in the gun boats appeared to make little impression on the forts, but the firing on both sides was well sustained. About twenty minutes from the commencement, Lieutenant Paynter obtained permission to land and try the rockets, and in eight minutes a 24, 12, and 3-pound tube were fired on the right bank, about five yards in the rear of the boom, and the first rocket (a 42-pound) was hailed by a loud cheer from all the gun boats. The well sustained fire of guns and rockets, soon rendered the fire of Seriff Housman's defences wild, but the perfect workmanship by which the boom was secured, resisted all efforts to force it. The firing having lasted fifty minutes, and the boom still impassable. the ammunition of the gun-boats was ordered to be husbanded, and the guns to be fired with great precision ; at this time Mr. Reeve of the rocket party was sent to Captain Talbot with information that the forts could be reached by the right bank; but at this moment one end of the boom gave way. The boats were immediately pushed through. and with a loud cheer, led by Captains Talbot, Lyster, Fanshawe, and Clifford; boat after boat passed with the marines under Captain Hawkins to storm the defences. The enemy retreated from the eight-gun battery without making any resistance. The flags were hauled down, and the forts immediately taken possession of. A guard was left in the fort ; parties of marines and small arm men advanced up both sides of the river, burning and destroying the houses, and everything that could be discovered.

The forts were well situated, and commanded a complete view of the river and boom. A floating battery of three long 18-pounders was erected close to the left bank, and the guns laid for the boom. The 8-gun battery, consisting of one 18 pounder, two 12-pounders, three 9-pounders, and two 6-pounders, on the right bank, were laid some for the boom and others above and below it. It was not to be expected that so formidable a position could be taken without a sacrifice of life. Six killed and fifteen wounded, (two mortally,) was the loss on the English side, and the determined manner the pirates worked their guns for the first half hour, secure in their position, and confident in their boom, renders it fortunate the loss was not greater.

The following is a list of the casualties on the occasion

H. M. ship Agincourt. 2nd barge, 3 killed, 2 wounded, (1 severely) ; launch, 1 killed, 2 wounded, (1 severely).
H. M. ship Vestal. Barge, 1 killed; pinnace, 2 wounded, (t severely).
H. M. S. Daedalus, Launch, 1 killed, 2 wounded, (1 mortally, l severely).
H. M. S. Vixen. Pinnace, 2 wounded, (Z severely) ; cutter, 1 wounded.
H. M sloop Wolverine. Cutter, 1 wounded, (mortally); pinnace, 1 wounded (severely).
H. M. sloop Cruizer. Pinnace, 2 wounded.
H. C. steam vessel Pluto. Cutter, 1 wounded.
Officers, wounded. Lieut. Heard, Supr. Agincourt, (slightly,) Mr. Gibbard, mate in Wolverine, (mortally), Mr. Pym, second master Vestal, (severely)
It is impossible to estimate the loss of the enemy; that it was severe, there can be no doubt; bodies were found in various directions - numbers were thrown into the river by their own- people, and the wounded were carried into the jungle as soon as they fell. But the testimony of some Manila men (slaves) who had escaped, amounts to this that Seriff Housman was dangerously wounded in the neck, that two Chiefs (Arabs) were killed, and two severely wounded, that many hundred men were in the forts at the commencement, but after twenty minutes firing numbers fled, and as the loss on the English side was all in the first twenty minutes, it is highly probable that the latter part of the firing was continued by a few desperate men, but without any effect, and who ran away the moment the boom was passed.

Not wishing to lose the tide, the force was re-embarked and returned to the Vixen. To prevent all chance of the enemy making head again, the Admiral despatched a fresh party under Commodore Giffard, who after a slight resistance from a few stragglers, completed the destruction of the town, and brought away a quantity of brass ordnance. The force having returned to the ship, the squadron moved to the island of Balambangan, and on the 25th departed for Manila and Hongkong ; the Cruizer being detached with Mr. Brooke and Captain Bethune. Thus under one short campaign at Borneo there can be little doubt that a most salutary effect will be produced by the powerful and effectual measures of our Commander-in-Chief.

Destruction Of Pirates. -By a letter from H.M.S. Agincourt, dated Manila, 3rd September, we learn that the squadron, consisting of the Agincourt, Vestal, Daedalus, Cruizer, Wolverine, Vixen, Pluto, and Nemesis had attacked, at Malloodoo Bay, the pirate chief Seriff Housman. The boats of the squadron succeeded in taking his forts, being three in number, and mounting altogether fifteen guns; they destroyed his town, and all the goods they came across. The boats were under the fire of the batteries, while forcing the boom, upwards of fifty minutes, at little more than two hundred yards. distance. Our loss was six killed and fifteen wounded-two of the latter since dead. Mr. Pym, of the Vestal, was wounded in the back part of the thigh by a grape shot, but not dangerously. Gibbard, a mate of the Wolverine,, was killed. The loss is the Agincourt alone was four killed and six wounded. 'the loss. of the enemy could not be ascertained, 9s tey carried the bodies immediately into the jungle, but it must have been immense. Two Arab chiefs are known to have been killed, and Seriff Housman himself to have been carried off the field, severely wounded in the neck. The squadron were to sail for Hongkong from Manila the day after, namely, the 4th Sept. - Port Philip Herald, December 11.