|The Flying Squadron 1869-70
Sydney Morning Herald
13 December 1869
HMS Endymion is the newest vessel in the squadron, having been built at Deptford in 1866, and is the last of the wooden class of frigates. She is 240 feet in length, with 48 feet beam, and measures 2478 tons. It was expected at one time that H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh would have been appointed to this ship, but he preferred the Galatea. Her armament consists of 21 guns, thus distributed:- In the upper deck are three 7- inch Armstrong breech-loaders, usually designated as 100 pounders; on the main deck she carries four muzzle-loading rifled Somerset 8-inch guns of 6 ½ tons each; and fourteen ordinary 7-inch 68 pounders.
Her engines were constructed by Messrs. Napier & Co. in 1862, and intended for HMS Ister They are air-pump trunk engines of 500-horse power, working up to 2800 horse power, and she is fitted with Griffiths's patent screw-propellor, 2 bladed, 18 feet in diameter, 21 feet pitch.
Her crew comprises:- Captain, Edward Lacey; acting commander , Day H. Bosanquet; lieutenants, Charles H [should be L] Oxley, Francis C. R. Baker, Horatio Kemble, John H. Robinson, and Joseph W. Wilkins; navigating lieutenant Silas Vicary; lieutenant marines, Frederick M. Eden: Chaplain Rev. Robert Nimmo; naval [should be navigating] instructor, Albert W. Schreoder, B.A.; surgeon, Alexander Fisher, M.D.; paymaster, William F. Alexander; chief engineer, Joseph H. Keane; sub lieutenants, Charles G. Michaelson, Charles E. Grissell, Lewis T. Jones, James M. Bance, Frederick G. I. Lillingston; navigating sub lieutenant James R. Gow; assistant-surgeon, James Dunlop, M.D.; assistant paymasters, Walmesley A. Dangerfield, William S. Richardson; engineers, T. E. Richards; T. Bramley, F. Skelton, J. Minhinnick, J. Hall; midshipmen, Messrs. Turner, Adams, Graham, Henderson, Stapleton, Adamson, Bouer, Jefferson, Hanker, White, Eagles, Patterson, Ledgard, McG. Findlay, Elliot, Smith, navigating midshipman Mr Menzies. Mr Sabben; assistant-clerk T. W. A. West; 478 sailors and marines.
The Endymion has been twice in commission. She was first sent to the Mediterranean area and while there had the honour of carrying the Tycoon of Japan from Leghorn to Marseilles. She assisted in picking up the old submarine telegraph cable between Malta and Alexandria and was subsequently ordered by the Admiralty to Brindisi to receive Lord Napier of Magdala and carry him back to Alexandria on his return – after his campaigne in Abyssinia to his Indian command. On her return to Malta she was sent to the coast of Spain to protect British interests during the recent Spanish revolution. After performing this duty she returned to England and was re-commissioned under her present captain for service in the Flying Squadron.
Sydney Morning Herald 13 December 1869 (2)