|The Flying Squadron 1869-70
Sydney Morning Herald
13 December 1869
H.M.S. Liverpool, carrying the flag of the Rear-Admiral, representing the Admiralty pattern of vessels constructed ten years ago, since which time great and important changes have been effected.
This vessel was built in Devonport in 1859. Her dimensions are- Length 235 feet, beam 60 feet; her armament consists of eight:64 pounders, six being rifled and muzzle loading, and two smooth bore 8-inch guns breech-loading- these are carried on the upper deck. On the main deck are twenty-two guns; four 61/2 tons7 inch muzzle-loaded and rifled, and eighteen 8-inch smooth bore breech-loading. In addition are the usual boat-guns, which are of the Armstrong pattern.
The engines are of 500 horse-power nominal, constructed by Humphreys, Tennant and Co, and are horizontal direct acting. The screw is a Griffiths, 18 feet in diameter, 26 feet 6 inches in pitch, and two bladed. The Liverpool has been twice in commission, viz., on the home station and West Indies.
The following are the names of the officers. Rear-Admiral Geoffrey T.P. Hornby, Flag-Lieutenant James A.T. Bruce; secretary Thomas H L Bowling; clerks to secretary and assistant paymaster Frederick L.M. Dyer and Charles J. Pawsey; captain John O. Hopkins; commander Samuel Long; lieutenants Herbert F. Crohan, Day H. Bosanquet, Burges Watson, William H. Henderson, William A. D. Acland; Staff -Commander William H. Sharp; captain marines Frederick H Ruel; lieutenant marines John C. Wardell; Chaplain and naval instructor Rev Richard Price, M. A., staff surgeon William Mc K. Saunders, M D; paymaster Robert W. Warwick; chief engineer Owen Jones; sub- lieutenants Charles Q. G. Cranford, Arthur H. O.P. Lowe, C. F. Naylor, and Arthur W. Moore; navigating lieutenant Herbert Roxby; assistant surgeons James Bradley and Fleetwood Buckle M.D.; assistant paymasters Clarence Aylen and George W.E.C. Mackay; Engineers J Lanksbury, William Walker, Charles Boddington; assistant engineer J Wright; midshipmen Messrs Gore, Bignold, Seymour, Dick, Richards, Stewart, McLean, Conybeare, Marsh, Farquharson, Neeld, Corbet, Foote, Montagu, Thomas, Whately, Knowles, Cavendish, and Lord Maurice Fitzgerald, naval cadets Messrs Dew and Daly, clerk Mr W. Hinch; assistant clerk Mr Harvey and 411 seamen and marines.
Admiral Hornby was second in command of the fleet which lately went on a cruise, accompanied by the First Lord of the Admiralty and the Senior Sea Lord. He holds a high reputation in the service, and was selected to lead this squadron from his special qualifications for the service. He obtained his commission as post-captain in 1852 and his last command was commander-in-chief of the squadron on the west coast of Africa. He is at present the youngest admiral in active service.
Sydney Morning Herald 13 December 1869 (1)