(From yesterday's Government Gazette.)
1. The Board appointed under the provisions of the Act of the Governor and Council, 11th Victoria, No. 3, for the regulation of sea going steam and other vessels carrying passengers, have, with the approval of His Excellency the Governor, established the following Regulations respecting lights to be exhibited by sea going steam vessels, which are accordingly to take effect after the expiration of one month from the publication of this notice.
2. All sea going steam vessels are to be provided with three lanterns, which are to be fitted with strong reflectors, and of the following descriptions
3. One of the said lanterns is to exhibit a plain light visible on three sides, viz :- on the starboard and port sides, and ahead, and is to be carried at the vessel's foremast head, on the collar of the forestay, and is to hang clear of any canvass that may be set.
4. One of the said lanterns is to exhibit a green light, visible on two sides only, viz.:- on the starboard side and ahead, and is to be fixed on the fore part of the starboard paddlebox.
5. The third or remaining lantern is to exhibit a red light, visible on two sides only, viz.:- on the port side and ahead, and is to be fixed on the fore part of the port paddlebox.
6. The whole of the three lanterns are to be exhibited at all times between the hours of sunset and sunrise whenever the vessel is under weigh ; but when at anchor the first mentioned lantern only, with three plain lights, is to be exhibited at the foremast head.
7. Steam vessels lying at their respective wharves at Sydney, or the outports, are not required to exhibit any light.
8. The master or person in charge of any steam vessel who shall offend against any of these regulations is liable under the provisions of the said Act to a penalty not exceeding twenty pounds for every night in which default shall be made.
9. At the expiration of one month from the date of the publication of this notice, the regulations respecting lights to be exhibited by steam vessels, as published in the New South Wales Government Gazette, of the 10th March, 1848, are hereby cancelled, except as to any offence or default previously committed.
J. Gibbes, Chairman ;
R. Towns ;
V. S. Deloitte ;
H. H. Browne ;
Approved,- Chas. A. Fitz Roy.
SG & SGTL ; Vol 5 ; page 309 - 30 Dec 1848
^ back to top ^