Indian Navy Database

| Index

Auckland, 1840
Type: Indian (H.C.S.) Steam frigate ; Armament 6 x 8 inch guns
Built : Bombay and floated out of her dock on 9 Jan 1840 ;
Disposal date or year : -
Tonnage : 946 tons ;
Engines : 220 h.p. ;

22 Sep 1841 sailed for Aden with troops, which on their arrival were ordered to deal with the Sheikh Mehdi defended tower, and then the fort at the village of Sheikh Othman, which were destroyed.

4 Jan 1842 the Auckland, Capt W. Lowe, proceeded to the Persian Gulf, followed on the 6th, by the corvette Coote, and assisted by the schooners Royal Tiger and Mahi, to embark the troops and heavy guns from Kharrack, which was thus evacuated after an occupation of two years and a half : a contentious move in some quarters.

20 May 1842 whilst the fleet lay off Chapoo the long expected reinforcements arrived from India and England. These consisted of H.M.'s 98th, with artillery, and several regiments of Madras Native Infantry ; H.M. ships Vindictive, 50, Thalia, 44, Endymion, 44, Cambrian, 36, North Star, 26, Dido, 20, Pelican, 18, and Harlequin, 18, Childers, 16, Clio, 16, Hazard, 16, Wanderer, 16, Serpent, 16, and Wolverine, 16 ; Chameleon, 10 ; steamer Vixen, 8.
Indian Navy: steamers, Auckland, Commander R. Ethersey ; Ariadne, Lieutenant J. Roberts ; and Medusa, Lieutenant H. H. Hewett ;
Bengal Marine steamers, Tenasserim, Hooghly, Pluto, and Proserpine.

16 Jun - 29 Aug 1842, expedition up the Yang-tse-Keang, to the end of hostilities and signing of the Treaty of Nanking. See p. 300-> at and See also p 150-> History of the Indian Navy - Low 1613-1863 Vol II

16 Sep 1842 on on receipt of the ratification of the treaty by the Emperor of China, Major Malcolm, secretary to Sir Henry Pottinger, proceeded in the Auckland to Suez, on his return to England.

26 Jul 1844 since batta was paid to officers and men engaged in the operations in China up to the end of June, 1841, by a Minute of the Treasury dated 26 Jul 1844 it was ordered that the soldiers and seamen of Her Majesty and the East India Company engaged in the whole of the operations commencing 21 Aug 1841, and terminating with the signature of the treaty of peace on 29 Aug 1842, should receive twelve months' batta ; and those employed on the Yang-tze-Kiang only, or in occupation at Hong Kong and other stations, six months' allowance.

1844-45 the Auckland, Sesostris, and Akbar,and other ships, were employed in carrying troops to Vingorla, to assist in quelling the insurrection in the Southern Mahratta country.

Apr 1847 following the passing of the great storm which probably sank the Cleopatra great anxiety was entertained at Bombay for the safety of the Sesostris, which had left Aden for Cannanore, with troops, on the 5th of April, and, no steamer being available, Commander Frushard, on the 27th of April, sailed in the sloop Coote, for Vingorla, where he found the Sesostris at anchor, she having arrived in safety at Cannaliore, on the 22nd of April. The Mermaid and other vessels were wrecked at Vingorla, and the Buckinghamshire, a fine Indiaman of 1,700 tons, which got into the vortex of the cyclone within sixty miles of Vingorla, was totally dismasted during the storm, which raged with unparalleled fury from the 16th to the 19th of April. No special search was at this time made for the Cleopatra, and the Coote returned to Bombay ; but, as time wore on, and no news was received of her arrival at Singapore, anxious fears began to be whispered about, and, at length, on the 28th of August, Lieutenant John Wellington Young was despatched to the Laccadive Islands in the Auckland, to make inquiries regarding his missing brother, and rescue him if, perchance, his ship was cast away on that inhospitable shore. But it was all to no purpose, and the sickening dread of the worst was soon confirmed in the breast of the gallant commander of the Auckland.

12 Jan 1853 commissioned Purser Henry Williams, appointed to the Auckland.

26 Dec 1853 matters in Persia, owing partly to the intrigues of Russia, appeared so threatening that the Auckland, Commander Macdonald, was despatched to the Persian Gulf.

On the arrival of the Auckland at Bombay, on 11 Feb 1854, from visiting Bushire, Bassadore, and Muscat, the advices were considered so far from reassuring, that the Government despatched to the Persian Gulf, on the 16th of February, the Akbar, Commander Balfour, and schooner Constance, Lieutenant Stradling.

9 Jan 1855 with her engines removed the Punjaub, in company with the Auckland, Victoria, and the sailing transport Sultana, with Lieut Etheridge, I.N., as agent for transports, departed India for Suez with the 10th Hussars, with their 700 men and 250 horses and the 12th Lancers embarked bound for the Crimea.

20 Mar 1855 Clerk H.W. Farley, appointed to the Auckland.

31 Jul 1856 Commander H.A. Drought was transferred from the Ferooz — in the command of which he was succeeded by Commander J. Rennie — to the Auckland, and, although he only received the notice that his ship was required for active service on Saturday evening, he sailed on the following Tuesday for Singapore. The following were the officers of the Auckland :—Lieutenants Davies and Hunter ; Acting-Lieutenants De Belin and Philbrick ; Purser Williams ; Assistant-Surgeon Barnett; Midshipmen Lowis, Du Boulay, Parker, Beddome, and Brownlow. Under the orders of Captain Sir William Hoste, the Senior Naval Officer on the Straits Station, the principal duty of the Auckland consisted in keeping down piracy, cruising about the coasts of Borneo, and affording protection to the British Settlement of Labuan.

In December, 1856, soon after the outbreak of hostilities with China, the Auckland was ordered to Hong Kong to reinforce the squadron under the immediate command of Rear-Admiral Sir Michael Seymour.

13-16 Feb 1857 Her first service on this station was against piratical and Mandarin junks, assisted by the Eaglet, a small hired steamer, commanded by Mr. Ellis, Master, R.N., when the Auckland destroyed five heavily-armed junks at Lantao, mounting sixty-four guns, and burnt and destroyed two batteries mounting thirty guns. One battery was blown up by a shell fired by Commander Drought, who waited until he could train the pivot-gun by a flash from the battery, it being too dark to take proper aim. In this affair one seaman was killed, and Lieutenant De Belin was severely scorched by the blowing up of a junk, the Chinese having laid a train which exploded as the party under his command boarded. P.380

The Auckland soon after engaged a fleet of eighty Mandarin junks, at Second Bar Creek in the Canton River, which came down in line of battle to attack her, and, after a smart action, she sunk many of them, when the remainder beat a retreat.

the Auckland assisted in the capture of eight Chinese vessels and seventy-two prisoners, and took and burnt a piratical junk at Chung-Chow Island.

26 Feb 1857 being when one of the incidents which started the Indian Mutiny took place, Indian Navy steam vessels were recalled to their home ports.

1 Apr 1857 during her last cruise upon this station, a Mandarin junk was observed in the Bay of Toong Chung. The Auckland came to an anchor off the Bay, and all the boats were manned and armed and despatched to cut her out, under the command of the First-Lieutenant, Mr. Davies, an officer remarkable in the Service for his gallantry and great personal strength. "When about ten yards from the junk, a battery on the beach, which, up to that time, had reserved its fire, opened upon the advancing boats with grape and canister. Lieutenant Davies immediately ordered the second cutter and gig, under command of Lieutenant Philbrick, to take possession of the junk, whilst he proceeded with the launch and first cutter to storm the battery. The Chinese stood well to their guns while the storming party was wading on shore, wounding Mr. Purser Williams (a volunteer) and three seamen. A volley of musketry, however, and an impetuous charge, drove the Chinese from their guns, and the party took possession of the battery and held it until the junk was observed to be underway, when they embarked in the boats and assisted to tow her out.

6 Apr 1857 H.M.S. Inflexible having arrived from England to take the place of the Auckland, the latter vessel left Hong Kong to resume her station in the Straits of Singapore. It was found necessary to leave behind, in the hospital ship, Mr. Lowis, the gallant young officer severely wounded in the leg in the action in Toong-Chung Bay, as it was found that amputation of the limb would be necessary.

Circa 18 May 1857 at Singapore, Lieutenant Davies exchanged with Lieutenant Carew into the Zenobia, commanded by Lieutenant Batt, and proceeded in her to Madras and Bombay, whence, on the 18th of May, the Zenobia sailed for Calcutta.

Circa May 1857 arrived Calcutta from China following receipt of news of the mutiny.

June and July 1857 the first Detachments of officers and seamen of the Indian Navy, landed at Calcutta, were from the Auckland, Punjaub, Semiramis, Zenobia, and Coromandel, and further bodies were drafted up-country on the requisition of Sir Frederick Halliday, Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal.

11 Jul 1857 about the time when parties of seamen were landed from the Punjaub, Auckland, and Zenobia, Lieut D.L. Duval, of the Coromandel, was directed to proceed to Fort William, with one hundred seamen, and Midshipmen C. A. Wray and R. Scamp, to reinforce the garrison at that critical time. This Detachment, known as No. 1, was highly commended for the good service it performed in guarding the gates of Fort William, and the State prisoners ; and, later on, it became the Depot of the Brigade, in which seamen were trained and drilled prior to proceeding up-country, in response to the pressing appeals poured in from all quarters for European troops ; the numbers of No. 1 Detachment, consequently, greatly fluctuated, and sometimes there were as many as five hundred men on the muster-rolls, though the strength was one hundred and fifty. Early Dec 1857 Lieut M.A. Sweny arrived at Bombay and took command of the Detachment, with Acting-Lieut F. Warden as his subaltern, and Lieut Duval proceeded to Gya with No. 5 Detachment, but, in the following February, he was ordered on survey duty, and Lieut Windus assumed command until April, when he succeeded Lieut Carew at Barrackpore in charge of No. 2 Detachment. Lieut Warden now took command until November, when he relieved Lieut Templer in command of No. 6 Detachment, at the Andaman Islands, and was succeeded by Lieut Hellard, who was in command of No. 1, until its removal to Dumdum, in January, 1859, when Colonel (now General) Orfeur Cavenagh, Commandant at Fort William, wrote in the following terms to Captain Campbell, regarding the services and good conduct of the men during the eventful period they were under his orders :— Sir.—The Brigade of the Indian Navy so long quartered in Fort William having ceased to exist, I deem it my duty to convey to you an expression of my opinion with respect to their conduct during their service in garrison. As regards the men, considering the frequent changes that occurred amongst them, it is sufficient for me to say that the cheerful alacrity with which they performed all the duties, at times very severe, entrusted to them was deserving of great praise. With regard to the officers, throughout the entire period of their stay in Fort William their conduct was such as to afford me the highest satisfaction. I always found them most attentive to their duties, and unwearying in their efforts to maintain discipline amongst the men under their command, and I beg that you will tender to them my best thanks for the great assistance that I invariably received from them in all matters connected with the performance of their duty."

The following Order relating to the China medal was published from the Commodore's Office, Bombay, on the 9th of July, 1861 :—" With reference to the General Government Order of the 6th ult., granting medals for services in China, the Commander-in-chief directs that the Commander of each vessel of the Indian Navy, which was employed in the operations which terminated in the capture of the city of Canton, on the 29th of December, 1857, and also in the operations which have recently terminated in the capture of the city of Pekin, and the restoration of peace, shall submit a roll, in duplicate, of the officers, seamen, and others, who may be entitled to the decorations.

1861 the Persian Gulf squadron consisted at this time of the Auckland, Elphinstone, Falkland, and schooners Mahi and Georgiana.

Commander Fraser, hitherto commanding the Falkland, exchanged with Commodore Drought, of the Auckland, which arrived from the Gulf on the 7th of April.

24 Apr 1862 the Auckland, Commander Fraser, arrived at Bombay from Beypore with Sir Bartle Frere, Member of the Supreme Council, who was appointed Governor of Bombay ; and, on the same day, Sir George Clerk, the late Governor, embarked for Suez on board the Dalhousie, Commander Hopkins, under salutes from the Ajdaha, Clive, and Auckland.

13 May 1862 the Auckland, Commander Fraser, arrived from the Laccadive Islands and was converted into a "harbour defence vessel."

15 Jul 1862 the Auckland is a very strong vessel, teak-built, but very slow, and her accommodation for troops is bad, but might be kept as a floating battery for Bombay, or Kurrachee harbour. She would require no crew beyond what is sufficient to watch her, the nature and extent of which should be submitted by the Commander-in-chief of the Indian Navy.