Index
 
New Flags for Indian Ships


History of the Indian Navy - Low 1613-1863 Vol II
On the 2nd of February, 1848, Commodore Plumridge arrived from England to relieve Commodore Sir Henry Blackwood, who proceeded home in the Fox. On the 23rd of the same month, Rear-Admiral S. H. Inglefield, C.B., Commander-in-chief of H.M.'s ships in India, whose flag-ship, the Vernon, lay in the harbour, died at Bombay, and was temporarily succeeded by Commodore Plumridge to the high command. The gallant officer signalized his brief assumption of power, by denying the right of the Commander-in-chief of the Indian Navy to fly the broad pennant of the Royal Navy, notwithstanding the Warrant of His Royal Highness the Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom his late Majesty King William IV. dated the 12th of June, 1827, by which the ships of the Bombay Marine were "granted the privilege of wearing the Union Jack, and a long pendant having St George's cross on a white field in the upper part next the mast, with a red fly."

A correspondence ensued, and, on the matter being referred to the Admiralty, it was decided, in order to soothe the susceptibilities of officers of the type of mind of Commodore Plumridge, that the broad pennant of the Commander-in-chief of the Indian Navy was to be a red flag with a yellow cross, and the Company's cognizance of a yellow lion and crown in the upper canton nearest the staff. The Commodore of the Persian Gulf, being of the second class, was allowed a similar flag with a blue field.


^ back to top ^