Royal Marines - Temporary Commissions
1917 08 31
Royal Marines - Temporary Commissions to Warrant Officers and Non-commissioned Officers
At the Court at Buckingham Palace, the 29th August, 1917.
Present, The King's Most Excellent Majesty in Council.
Whereas there was this day read at the Board a Memorial from the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, dated the 26th August, 1917, in the words following, viz. :
Whereas by Section 3 of the Naval and Marine Pay and Pensions Act, 1865, it is enacted, inter alia, that all pay, pensions, or other allowances in the nature thereof, payable in respect of services in Your Majesty's Naval or Marine Force to a person being or having been an Officer, Seaman, or Marine therein, shall be paid in such manner, and subject to such restrictions, conditions, and provisions, as are from time to time directed. by Order in Council :
And whereas we deem it expedient to grant Temporary Commissions in the Royal Marine Force to a number of selected Warrant Officers and Non-commissioned Officers of the Royal Marines, and it is necessary to make provision as to their pay, and as to the award of gratuities or retired pay on retirement
We beg leave humbly to recommend that Your Majesty may be graciously pleased, by Your Order in Council, to approve of the proposals contained in the annexed Schedule, in substitution of those contained in the Schedule to Your Majesty's Order in Council of the 13th day of June, 1917.
The Lords Commissioners of Your Majesty's Treasury have signified their concurrence in these proposals.
Warrant and Non-Commissioned Officers of the Royal Marines serving On Long Service Engagements who are granted Temporary Commissions.
- Whilst serving to be paid at the rates of pay for Officers promoted from the Ranks.
- Outfit gratuity to be £34 0s. 0d. and Camp Kit allowance £7 10s. 0d.
- Except in the cases of Officers selected for retention under Paragraph 4 Retirement to be compulsory at the close of hostilities, with Gratuities or Retired Pay on the following scale:
Position when Commissioned and Gratuity or Retired Pay.
- Under nine years' service, gratuity of £300.
- Nine to fifteen years' service, gratuity of £400, with an additional £100 for each year over nine.
- With fifteen or more years' service, retired pay of £80 a year, or a gratuity of £1,000.
Service to reckon from age of eighteen. Service in the ranks, or as Warrant Officer, to count as full time.
- Any Officer whom the Admiralty may select in the interests of the Service to be retained after the termination of Hostilities to be transferred to the Permanent List, and to come under the provisions of Orders in Council of 5th December, 1916, and 8th October, 1914.
- Disability Pensions, Widow's Pension, and Compassionate etc. Allowances for Children to be awarded on the same scale and under the same conditions as for other Temporary Officers, Royal Marines.
His Majesty, having taken the said Memorial into consideration, was pleased, by and with the advice of His Privy Council, to approve of what is therein proposed. And the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty are to give the necessary directions herein accordingly.
© Crown Copyright
^ back to top ^