A Look at Health in the RN
Late 18th and 19th Century
Naval History during the Napoleonic Wars and afterwards (1793-1827)
^ back to top ^
Admiralty Circulars and Memoranda etc. and extracted from the Navy Lists &c. published during the 1820s-1830s.
- Award of the India Medal for taking part in the Burma War 1824-26 - approved in 1851.
Mediterranean Mail Packets modernised - 1830
- Rates of Pay 1835 : FO, Officers, POs, Ratings and RM
- Rules for the payment of Allotments and Remittances Wm. 4.
- Reported deaths.
- Rates of Half Pay and renewal thereof etc.
- Warrant Officers - Drawing Pay
- Candidates for Promotion to Gunner
- The Calculation of Pay for Men Remaining on Station when their Ship Heads back to the UK
- Prize Money etc. for first 3 quarters of 1835
- Rules for Appointment of Commanders to Ships of the Line
- Regulations for the Entry and Rating of Young Gentlemen and Captain’s Clerks
- Complement of Mates, Midshipmen, and College Midshipmen borne on the books of HM ships - 1833 - Circular No. 87.
- Greenwich Out Pensions - 1831
- Rules for Granting Pensions to the Widows of Commission and Warrant Officers of the RN - 1830.
- Allowance of Shot and Powder for each Gun
- Allowance of Powder for Exercise
- Painting Guns, &c. 1834
- Firing Salutes by Small Vessels Armed with less than 10 Guns
- Accounting for Charts, Books and Papers Issued from the Hydrographical Department (1832)
- Issue of Salt Meat Renewed
- Chocolate to be used in lieu of Cocoa - Admiralty Circular 84 - 1832
- List of Slop (Naval ratings) Clothing - revised prices - Admiralty Circular 83 - 23 Oct 1832
- Reporting of Ordnance Equipment under Trial - Admiralty Circular 83 - 18 Nov 1832
- Rowing Money, Sleeping Money, and Allowance of Provisions to Shipwrights
- Repair of Defects to HM ships
- Addressing Correspondence for the Commissioners of the Navy and Victualling
- Allowance for Schoolmasters
- Payment of the Schoolmasters' Allowance Received from Young Gentlemen.
- Marine Servants to Officers
- The Muster of Crews of HM Ships by Commander-in-Chief, or Senior Officer
- Change of Muster Books etc. Muster and Victualling books to be transmitted Quarterly to the Admiralty.
- Uniform - 1830s - Amendments
- Water tanks belonging to HM ships
- Able Seaman to Assist the Captain's Clerk
- Land Grants no longer available to Military or Naval Officers in North America.
- Painting_Guns, &c. 1834
- Pursers Pay 1834
- Measuring Ships for Tonnage
- Classes and Denominations (Rating) of HM Ships - 1835
- Introduction of rating of Seaman's Schoolmaster - 1837.
^ back to top ^
Admiralty Circulars and Memoranda etc. and extracted from the Navy Lists &c. during the 1840s.
^ back to top ^
Masters, Second Masters, and Masters' Assistants &c.
- Regulations for the Entry and Rating of Young Gentlemen and Captains' Clerks, on board H.M. Ships and Vessels on the Peace Establishment
- Naval Cadets - 1834
- Naval Cadets - 1837
- Naval Cadets - 1838
- Naval Cadets - 1841
- Naval Cadets - 1848
- Qualifications for Naval Cadets - 1849
- Examination of Naval Cadets - 1851
- Introduction of Examination for "Steam Officers" at Portsmouth - 1850
- Certificate of Examination in Steam.
- Directions for Steering by Signs
- Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant - 1853
- Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant - Circular No. 208 - 1855
- Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant - Circular No. 320 - 1858
- Examination of Mates for the Rank of Lieutenant - 1853
- Residence of Acting Mates and Acting Lieutenants at Royal Naval College - 1858.
- Subordinate Officers - Pensions for Loss of Limbs payable whilst serving
- Midshipmen — Service at Sea, and Age, Requisite to Qualify them for Promotion - 1856
- Midshipman : Rules for the Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant and Navigating Lieutenant - Circular No. 288 of 1857.
- Midshipmen and Naval Cadets — Service at Sea Requisite to Qualify them for Advancement - 1857
- Service and Qualifications of Naval Cadets for the Rating of Midshipman, and of Midshipmen for Examination as Lieutenants - 1859
- Naval Cadets, Midshipmen, &c. (Interpretation of Clause 20 in Circular No. 288)
- Irregularities appertaining to the Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant after Five Years' Service - 1858.
- Seamanship Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant - 338 - 1858
- Seamanship Examination for the Rank of Lieutenant and Master - 343 - 1858
- Advancement of Naval Cadets to the Rating of Midshipmen - 1861
- Passing for Lieutenants and Masters - 1862.
- Nomination of Officers for Promotion on Flag Officers striking their Flags - 1860.
- Naval Cadets and Midshipmen - Entrance Exams - 1870.
- Colonial Cadet - Entry, Passage to England, and Pay, &c, of Colonial Cadets - 1870
- Amendment to Rules for Time to Qualify for Lieutenant - 1869
- Meritorious Passing for the Rank of Lieutenant - 1865.
- Time Required to Qualify a Captain for his Active Flag - 1853
- Officers Discipline
RN Officers qualified as Merchant Service Masters
Admiralty Mail Agents
Agents for Transports
Naval Knights of Windsor
^ back to top ^
Paymasters and Clerks &c.
- Regulations for the Entry and Rating of Young Gentlemen and Captain’s Clerks - 1833
- Paymasters and Clerks, R.N. - Re-Organisation - 1855
- Age for the Entry of Assistant Clerks, and the Qualifications required of Them - 1859.
- Entry, Examination, &c., of Assistant Clerks and Clerks, and Assistant Paymasters in the Royal Navy - Further Re-Organisation - 1860.
- Assistant Paymasters to be Borne on Flag Ships' Books on being Paid Off - 1860
- Paymasters &c. - Pay &c., including allowances in Flag, and Troop Ships and Retirement, including Secretaries - 1860
- Clerks, Paymasters Rules and exams for prospective candidates - 1869
- Increase of Half Pay to Paymasters - 1867.
- Clerks, Paymasters Rules and exams for prospective candidates - Nov 1870
^ back to top ^
1845-1854 - Paymaster Frederic Lucas RN
Naval Instructors, and Chaplains and Naval Instructors.
^ back to top ^
Engineering Branch - 19th Century - Engineering and the Engineering Branch. Admiralty Circulars and Memoranda &c.
- Pay : Engineers and Stokers : Circa July 1834
- Engineers, apprentices and engineer boys - 1837 - Pay and Superannuation.
- Engineers in the Royal Navy - 1840 - Conditions of Service
- June 1842 - Conditions of Service of Engineers in Her Majesty's Service
- June 1842 Engineers' Boys - Regulations as to the Instruction and Qualifications of Engineers' Boys
- June 1844 Rules and Regulations Respecting the Examination and Appointments of Engineers in HM Service
- Engineers of the Royal Navy - 1846
- June 1844 Engineer's Pay and Allowances
- April 1847 Rules and Regulations Respecting the Appointment, Rank, Examination, and Pay, of Engineers
- 1847 Engineers of the Royal Navy
- Acquirements Required of Engineers - 1849
- Rates of Pension to be granted to Inspectors of Machinery Afloat, and to Engineers of the Royal Navy - 1853
- Dec 1853. Shortage of First and Second Class Assistant Engineers.
- Pay and Pensions - Inspectors of Machinery, Chief Engineers - 1856.
- Engineers Messes - 1859
- Promotion of Engineers - 1859
- Report to the Admiralty on the Conduct of Engineers and Stokers - 1859
- Engine Room Telegraphs - 1859
- Employment of Assistant Engineers in Making Good Defects of Fleet - 1859
- Engineers &c. - Pay &c. - 1860
- Assistant Engineers in Charge of Engines - 1860.
- Pensions to Assistant Engineers and Warrant Officers
- Admiralty to make Regulations for Admission of Apprentices and Factory Boys in the Dockyards and Factories, includes those in training with the view to becoming Naval Engineers - 1860
- 1861 - Instructions for Engineer Officers - per QR&AI 1861 go to Peter Davis' web site at www.pdavis.nl/Q54.htm
- Extra Pay of Engineers in Charge of Engines - 1863
- Regulations for the Education and Promotion of the Engineers Of The Royal Navy - 1863
- New Rank of Chief Inspector of Machinery - Increased Pay of Inspectors of Machinery - Pensions and Compassionate Allowances for Their Widows and Children - 1867
- Apr 1868 Engine-room Artificers - Qualifications, conditions etc
- Practical Qualifications of Second-Class Engineer Officers, Passing and Promotion at Home and Abroad
- Assistant Engineers in Charge of Engines.
- Engineers Eligible for Appointment as Interpreters - 1869
- Regulations for the Education and Promotion of the Engineers Of The Royal Navy - 1869
- Practical Qualifications of Engineer Officers, Passing and Promotion at Home and Abroad.
- Introduction of Engine-Room Artificers - 1870.
- Engine Room Artificers - Candidates for
- Qualifications for Engine-room Artificers and Stoker Mechanics - 1873
- Engine Room Artificers - Creation of the rating of Chief Engine Room Artificer - 1877
- 1879 - Uniform - Artificers and other Engineroom Ratings
- Certificates of acquaintance with the details of their ships to be obtained By Engineer Officers 1877. Certificate for competent knowledge of Watertight Flooding, and Ventilating Arrangements, &c. for a Chief Engineer or Engineer.
- Entry of Engineer Students in Her Majesty's Dockyards 1877. Engineer Students. Uniform, Holidays, Books, Sea Chest, &c.
- Regulations for the entry of temporary service Engineers, and Assistant Engineers - 1878.
- 1890 - Uniform - Artificers and other Engineroom Ratings
- Selborne and Cawdor Memoranda - A Brief Look at the Effects of Sir John Fisher’s Reforms on the Engineering Branch by the late Dave Perkins.
- Conditions of service for stokers, Mechanicians and Artificers inc ERAs &c. 1907-1947
- Qualifications and Examinations for Promotion - Engineer Branch - Per KR&AI 1913
- Officers Training and Examinations Generally - Engineer Branch - Per KR&AI 1913
- Engine Department - Per KR&AI 1913
^ back to top ^
Admiralty Circulars and Memoranda etc. and extracted from the Navy Lists &c. published during the 1850s.
Examination of Officers on the Steam Engine also to be held at Woolwich - 1853
1860 : Conditions of Service and Pay ; Administration etc. for Officers and Ratings.
Officers - Regulation and Cost of Messing &c.
United Services Institute Journal
^ back to top ^
Admiralty Circulars and Memoranda etc. published during the 1860s.
Officers and Warrant Officers
Pay and Pensions
Administration - 1850s
Administration - 1860s
Navy Lists for 1860-1870 - Pay and Allowances, Writer Branch, Navigating Officers etc.
Navy List 1879 - Officers & RM Pay, Ratings Pay & Pensions - GH Pensions & School
Entry and Examination of Officers
- Regulations under which Boys are Entered in Her Majesty's Navy - 1864
- Regulations under which Boys are Entered in Her Majesty's Navy - 1868
- Discharges by Purchase - 1864
- Privileges to Time Expired Men who Renew their Engagements Abroad - 1866
- Colours of Badges showing Marks of Distinction - 1868
- Regulations under which Ordinary Pensions are Awarded to Petty Officers and Seamen.
- Gratuities to Widows of Men Slain, Killed, or Drowned, whilst Serving in the Royal Navy.
Ships or Naval Police
- When Sick on Shore following on from leave a Sick Note from a Doctor is required : a Magistrate has no authority to grant an extension of leave - 1866
- Royal Navy - Beards and Moustaches - 1869.
- Royal Marines - Beards and Moustaches - 1869.
- Master at Arms - Pay, Messing, Uniform etc. - 1867.
- Pay, Pension, Allotments, Unclaimed Pay, Stoppage of Pay by "R," Medals and Decorations, Prize Money - 1866 or 68.
- Pay 1870 - Ratings
- Allowances 1870 - Ratings
- Introduction of the Rating of Carpenter's Crew, 2nd Class - 1866.
- Writers - Introduction into the Royal Navy - Entrance, Pay, Rating, Messing, Uniform etc. - 1867.
- Naval Schoolmasters Established
- Naval Schoolmasters - Entrance, Pay, Rating, Messing, Uniform etc. - 1867.
- Head Naval Schoolmasters - Messing, Uniform, Pension - 1867.
- Distinctive Badges - Circa 1870.
- Commuted Allowances in Order that Flag Officers &c. may pay for their Servants in Lieu of at Public Expense - 1870.
- Naval Officers Pay - circa 1870
- Allowances and Extra Pay - circa 1870
- Leave on Full Pay to Commissioned and Warrant Officers on Return from Service Abroad - 2 Circulars - 1867 & 1868.
- Appropriation of Cabins - 1866.
- Employment of Privates of Royal Marines as Personal Servants of Ward Room Officers - 1869.
- Re-adjustment of Relative Ranks of Certain Officers - 1867.
- Prize Money - 1866
- Officers - Conditions for Entry into the Reserve, and Conditions of Service etc. - 1864.
- Address of Officers Appointed to Foreign Stations - 1869.
Naval Retirement and Promotion
- Cadets Naval, Examination for
- Cadets Naval, whilst in Training Ship
- Passing Certificates of Midshipmen
- Periodic examinations of Junior Executive Officers.
- Torpedo Officers, Qualifications for
- Torpedo Officers, Examination of Officers studying for
- Chaplains and Naval Instructors - 1875
- Regulations for Chaplains and Naval Instructors
- Naval Instructors, Regulations for Examination and Instruction
- Regulations for the Medical Service
- Medical Officers, Rank, Pay, and Position
- Staff Surgeon, Examination for
- Carpenters, Examination of
- Assistant Paymasters - Pay & Benefits
- Assistant Clerks, Regulations for Entry
- Royal Marines, Commissions in, Rules for obtaining
- Navigating and Pilotage Duties
- Examination of Interpreters
- Full Pay Leave Regulations
- Royal Naval College, Greenwich, Regulations for
- Acting Sub-Lieutenant and Navigating Sub-Lieutenant, subjects of Examination, &c at College
- Acting Sub-Lieutenant, Rejection in Gunnery Examination
- Acting Sub-Lieutenant, Examination in Navigation to precede that in Gunnery
Naval Retirement previous to 1870:-
Naval Pensions and Benefits of Greenwich Hospital
- Flag Officers Captains, Commanders, Lieutenants - 1870
- Flag Rank, Active and Retired, Qualifying Service for - 1873
- Commanders and Lieutenants, promotion of, and Sub-Lieutenants, retirement of - 1872
- Retirement and Promotion, Flag Officers, Captains, Commanders, and Lieutenants - 1875
- Retirement and Promotion, Flag Officers, Captains, Commanders, and Lieutenants - 1878
- Retired Promotion for Commanders - 1876
- Navigating and Civil Officers, which includes Chaplains, Naval Instructors, Secretaries and
Paymasters, Staff Commanders, Medical Officers, Inspectors of Machinery, Engineers - 1870
- Service on Committees, Officers in Civil Employment, Promotions, and Retired Promotions - 1870.
- Chaplain, Retirement - 1872
- Paymasters and Assistant-Paymasters, Retirement - 1873
- Navigating Sub-Lieutenants, Retirement of - 1872
- Inspectors and Deputy Inspectors of Hospitals - 1872
- Medical Officers, Retirement of, &c, - 1875
- Engineer Officers, Retirement of
- Retiring Pensions to Chief Gunners, Chief Boatswains, Chief Carpenters, and Warrant Officers
- Good Service Pensions - 1876
- Royal Marine Officers, Promotion and Retirement - 1878
- Compassionate Allowances
Entry and Discharges of Petty Officers, Seamen, and Marines
Navy List 1885 - Ratings Pay, Boys, Apprentices, Artificers entry, RHS & RNLI etc. Awards, LS&GC Medal
Admiralty Orders in Council
Extracts from Tom Richards’ Log.
Boys Manual of Seamanship and Gunnery - Preface dated April 1871
Selected extracts from Famous Ships of the British Navy Some notes and diagrams for the early Iron Clads etc. such as Warrior and Black Prince &c
- Pensions to Seamen
- Men discharged the service on account of injuries and wounds, or disability attributable to the service
- Greenwich Hospital Pensions
- Special Pensions
- Gratuities to Widows, Parents, and Children of Men killed in the Service,
- Admission of Boys to Greenwich Hospital Schools.
- Education of Greenwich Hospital Schools, Daughters of Seamen and Warrant Officers.
- Admission of Children of Commissioned Officers to Greenwich Hospital.
- Proceedings in Vice-Admiralty Courts Abroad
- Prize Money - Naval Agency and Distribution Act 1864
- Prize-Money, Ships' Agents
- Capture of Vessels Engaged in the Slave Trade, &c. Expenses Incurred in Prosecuting, 1866.
- Slave Captures, Costs of Prosecution, 1874
- Freightage - Greenwich Hospital Proportion
The Flying Squadron - A World Cruise - 1869 – 1870
Autobiographies - Memoirs
- Fifty Years in the Royal Navy by Admiral Sir Percy Scott, Bt. - who, relative to most senior officers of the period, pulls few punches regarding the negligence of the Admiralty during the latter part of the 19th and into the early part of the 20th Century with respect to what the layman might consider their prime responsibility - efficient Gunnery.
- Hurrah for the Life of a Sailor - Vice-admiral Sir William Kennedy, K.C.B. - 1851-1895 : includes experiences from the Crimean and 2nd China Wars, and service on the North and South America Stations, amongst others.
- Links in my life on land and sea by J.W. Gambier.
- From Sail to Steam - Naval Recollections, - Admiral C. C. Penrose Fitzgerald - 1878-1905 : includes service in the Mediterranean, North America and Far East Stations, along with the cruise undertaken by the young princes to Australia.
- Commander R.N. by Commander G. B. Hartford, D.S.O., R.N. (Ret.) - 1898-1922.
^ back to top ^
Condition of Service : Uniform ; Pay ; Victualling ; Retention and Engagements ; Punishments and Discipline; Training and Specialist Qualifications
Notes on the difficulties experienced Recruiting Personnel and Manning Ships ; Retaining Personnel ; Contracts of service etc. (Engagements), following on from the Iniquities of Impressment during the Napoleonic and Revolutionary Wars in the light of an ever changing society.
Good Conduct Badges and Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and Gratuity
1843 - 1957 Pay and Allowances - samples of what was being paid during this period.
Pay Ledgers : Divisions of the Ledger : List and Numbers etc.
1914 - The introduction of [an early form of] Separation Allowance, the forerunner of Marriage Allowance - 1914-1970.
Royal Navy Substantive Rates for Seaman
Training and Recruitment - Cadets and Boys
Seaman Gunners - Returns of Numbers Borne - 1859.
The Development of the Torpedo Branch - includes examples of uniform and badges.
Uniform - 1830s - Amendments
Uniform Dress for Petty Officers, Seamen and Boys - 1857.
1877, 1879, 1885, 1890, 1897 - RN Uniform Regulations :
1896 - Notes on Officers' Dress
RN Uniform Regulations
Pictorial and Photographic Examples of Naval Uniform and Men under training.
1937 - Ratings Branch or Distinguishing Badges.
1940 Officers, Ratings, WRNS Officers and MN Officers - Distinguishing Ranks and Badges etc.
Notes on Uniform, Kit Upkeep Allowance, WWI Sea Service Chevrons etc.
^ back to top ^
1899 - The Boer War and Boxer Rebellion Era
Extracts from the Illustrated London News - Dec 1899 - April 1900
Extracts from Newspapers relevant to the Boxer Rebellion
World War One Era
Jane's Fighting Ships 1919 ©
Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions - 1913
Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions - 1913 - Part II - Appendices - Pay & Advancement - SQs etc. (Work in Progress)
The Falklands Islands Engagement - 1915
The Making of a Concrete Ship - 1918
The Royal Fleet Reserve and How to Join It.
The Evolution of the Naval Bridge before and during the Dreadnought years
1907-1949 - An ever Changing Navy as reflected in the - plus The Distribution of Prize Money
Diary of Midshipman N. K. Calder, R.A.N., - 1917 and 1918 - including time at Scapa Flow
Photographs of Admiral Beatty, reports and anecdotes leading up to the end of the war.
^ back to top ^
The Inter-war years:
Seamanship Manual Part II (1932) - Extracts - Organisation & OOD Duties
Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions - 1937 - Part II - Appendices - Pay & Advancement - SQs etc. (Early Days - Very much Work in Progress)
Crossing the Line Ceremony - HMS NEW ZEALAND - 1919 Includes Crew List
Foreign Orders, Decorations and Medals - Regulations as to Wearing Applicable to Servants of the Crown. (July 1935)
Some Short Stories and Poems with a flavour of the RN circa 1898-1916
A Gun Room Ditty Box - preface by R-Admiral Lord C. Beresford
Naval Occasions! - short stories pre-WWI
A Tall Ship - more short stories pre-WWI and during the early part of the war
Post WWII - Extracts from
Queen's Regulations and Admiralty Instructions 1953
Appendix to the Navy List - Pay and Allowances 1956
Regulations Concerning the Acceptance & Wearing of Foreign Orders, Decorations
& Medals by Persons in the Service of the Crown. 1957
Shipwrecks and Accidents in the Portland, Dorset area
HMS/M SIDON - Memorial
The Loss of the Transports: Catherine, Venus, Piedmont, &c.
Earl of Abergavenny - 1805 - HEIC vessel sank within 2 miles of Weymouth, Dorset
Near Loss of the Seringapatam at Portland Bill, Dorset, 17 May 1851
Rescue of Crew of the Norval by Portland Fishermen - 1860/li>
Avalanche and Forrest - in collision in the English Channel - 1877
"Patroclus" ashore at Blacknor, Sep. 1907
HMS FOYLEBANK, Portland, Dorset - 1940
Shipwrecks and Accidents from around the World
Details of about 100 Merchant Service Shipwrecks and Collisions
Wreck of the Spirit of the Ocean, near Dartmouth - 1866
Attempt to Salve the "Tripolitania" off the Loe (Looe) sand bar in Cornwall - 1913
^ back to top ^
Miscellaneous including some extracts from 19th century newspapers
1844-1855 - Life at Sea per the Newspapers
Set of Indentures for an Apprentice at Sheerness Dockyard - 13 Jun 1894 - 3 pages (Images)
Certificate of Competency as an Engineer ; Certificate of Competency as a 1st Class Engineer
Shore Establishments & Hulks etc
1830-1997 - Miscellaneous Events in the RN
Oct 1841 - Pay and Pensions
Jun 1848 - Reserve of Seamen for the Royal Navy - Regulations for the Entry of Seamen-Riggers.
1860 - Supply of Shoes to the Fleet
1860 - Issuing Prices of Marks of Distinction for Gunnery Instructors and Seamen Gunners
1867 - Dearth of Surgeons for the Royal Navy
1869 - Appointment of Assistant Surgeons in the Royal Navy
Warrant and Commissioned officers - structure
Daily Harbour Routine
Daily Sea Routine
Watches and Bells
Admiral Earl St Vincent
Admiral Sir David Beatty & snippets of late & post WWI nostalgia
Engagements (time served) - RN Service Engagements.
19th Century - Preventive Service and Coast Guard, Lighthouse Keepers, etc. - Miscellaneous Notes
Brief notes on Timber used in ship building
1919 - Demobilisation of Ratings
1919 - Examination of Midshipmen for Lieutenant
Grog, Rum, or even Service Rum, as it was described in a paper published at HMS Royal Arthur in 1968 : a few notes regarding its history, and along with observations, before they are forgotten.
Jul 1970 - A Farewell to Rum and Grog - for good or for bad - along with a few notes.
Vessels Built in Dorset for the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars
Maritime History of Dorset
Dorset Coast - newspaper cuttings through the years from about 1785-1900
Photos of RN Vessels
Various Naval Appointments - 1882
Appointments of Senior Naval Officers 1906-07
Some Vessel Movements & appointments - 1851
Some Obituaries - Late 19th Century
Early 19th Century Graffiti - how Admiral Earl St Vincent was viewed by some
Commissioning Ceremony - HMS ALBION - 1959
Some Matelots' Poetry
Maps with a Naval Flavour
Sea and Rail Routes - 1900 - England
Sea and Rail Routes - 1900 - Western Europe
Maps of UK Lighthouses c 1900
Scotland and North of England
Southern England and Ireland
^ back to top ^