Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>

10 Pages <<
Naval History of Great Britain - Vol II
1797 Colonial Expeditions - West Indies 100

lieutenants, and 121 rank and file missing, supposed to be taken prisoners, making a total of 225 killed, wounded, and missing.

On the 15th of April, early in the morning, while Vice-admiral Sir Hyde Parker, the British commander-in-chief on the Jamaica station, was lying at anchor in Cape Nicolas-Mole, St. Domingo, with the 98-gun ship Queen, Captain Man Dobson, and 74-gun ships Thunderer and Valiant, Captain William Ogilvy and Edmund Crawley, the 32-gun frigate Janus, Captain Janues (sic) [should read James] Bissett, arrived with the intelligence of her having, the preceding evening, chased into the port of Marégot the French 36-gun frigate Hermione, or Harmonie, as named (we consider by mistake) in the British official account.

Sir Hyde Parker immediately despatched the Thunderer to the bay of Marégot, with orders, in case the French frigate should not be there, to proceed close alongshore between the island of Tortuga and Port-au-Paix ; while, with the Queen and Valiant, the vice-admiral kept more in the offing. Captain Ogilvy discovered the French frigate, and chased her into Mostique inlet; and, having apprized Sir Hyde of the circumstance, was directed to take the Valiant under his orders, and endeavour to effect the Hermione's capture or destruction.

At 4 h. 15 m. p.m. the Thunderer and Valiant, in close order, bore up to examine the entrance of the inlet, keeping so close to the shore as to be, when abreast of the frigate, in four fathoms' water ; but the wind blew so hard, that it was found impracticable to anchor without a certainty of driving upon the rocks. At a few minutes before 5 p.m. the Thunderer opened her fire upon the Hermione, and soon afterwards the Valiant did the same ; but, the force of the wind not allowing the ships to remain long in their station, Captain Ogilvy was obliged to haul off for the night.

On the 16th, early in the morning, the two 74s renewed their fire upon the frigate with such effect, that at 7 a.m. the Hermione was run on shore and set fire to by her crew, and at 8 h. 47 m. a.m. blew up. The remains of the wreck lay close to the shore, about four miles to windward of Jean-Rabel. The destruction of the Hermione was effected without the slightest loss or damage on the part of the two British ships. It appears that the frigate had been ordered to sea from Cape-François, by the French deputies resident there, contrary to the opinion of her officers, in order to convoy to that port a number of captured American vessels, laden with provisions, and which had been captured and carried into Port-au-Paix and Jean-Rabel by French privateers.

An expedition to the latter port was immediately concerted ; and on the 20th Captain Pigot, of the British frigate Hermione, having under his orders the Quebec and Mermaid of the same force, Captains John Cooke and Robert Waller Otway, brig-sloop Drake, Captain John Perkins, and cutter Penelope,

^ back to top ^