Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>

10 Pages <<
Naval History of Great Britain - Vol II
1798 British and French Fleets 118

and her commander wounded, and, to the former, of one seaman and one private of the 23d regiment killed, and 10 seamen and five privates of the same regiment wounded. The bombs Hecla and Tartarus, Captains Thomas Hand and James Oughton, had, in the mean time, been throwing their shells into the town and basin, with great quickness and some effect ; much damage having, as alleged, been done to the shipping in the latter, and the former having been seen several times on fire.

Owing to the damaged state of the Wolverine and Asp, the commodore signalled them to weigh and move further off ; and the ship-sloop Dart (carrying twenty-eight 32-pounder carronades), Captain Richard Raggett, and the 18-gun brig-sloops Kite and Harpy, Captains William Brown and Henry Bazely, forthwith proceeded to occupy the stations which the Wolverine and Asp had quitted ; but, owing to its being low-water, the Dart and her companions were compelled to anchor at a greater distance from the shore than their commanders wished or their short-gun batteries suited. Consequently, the subsequent cannonade between the shore and the shipping was neither animated nor effective.

At 9 h. 30 m. a.m. the Minerva came in and anchored ; and Captain Mackellar, by the orders of the commodore, immediately went on shore in his boat to report the ship's arrival to the general. In the mean time Lieutenant-colonel Ward, with a becoming zeal, had filled two flat-bottomed boats with the troops, and was on his way to disembark them, when, as the boats pulled near to the 20-gun ship Ariadne, her commander, Captain James Bradley, succeeded in persuading the colonel to return immediately on board the Minerva ; and thus the four fine companies, commanded by Colonel Ward, to his and their present regret, but subsequent joy, were not allowed to land.

The troops that had landed appear to have fully succeeded in blowing up the locks and sluice-gates of the Bruges canal, and in destroying several gun-boats lying in the basin, with the trifling loss of one private soldier killed, and one seaman wounded. The explosion, as seen from the shipping, took place at 10 h. 20 m. a.m., and by noon the troops were ready to re-embark ; but such was the state of the weather, that the measure was wholly impracticable. The British then took up a position on some sand-hills near the beach, and there remained under arms but unmolested, during the remainder of that day and the whole of the ensuing night. By daybreak on the 20th, however, the French had collected in considerable force ; and, after a smart action in which the British sustained a loss of about 65 in killed and wounded, including, among the form, one lieutenant-colonel, and among the latter, the major-general and several distinguished officers, the whole, with Captain Mackellar and the survivors of his boat's crew, were compelled to surrender on terms of capitulation. Thus ended an expedition,

^ back to top ^