|Naval History of Great Britain - Vol III
||British Expedition to Egypt
and 1300 sailors, were to be conveyed to France at British expense, as had already been the case with the garrison of Cairo.
This concluding operation of the campaign was effected after a loss to the British army, in the four or five skirmishes which had immediately preceded it, of only 13 rank and file killed, and six officers, four sergeants, one drummer, and 113 rank and file wounded, and to the British navy, in the attack upon Marabou, of one midshipman (Mr. Hull, of the Ajax) and one seaman killed, and two seamen wounded ; thus making the general loss on the part of the British in the Egyptian campaign, as far as it has been officially reported, 330 killed, 1872 wounded, and 39 missing. That of the French, commencing at the disembarkation of the British troops in Aboukir bay, may be stated at from 3000 to 4000 men in killed alone; an amount, great as it may appear, considerably below what some of the English writers have declared it to have been.
The French ships of war found in the old or western harbour were the Causse, 64, the frigates Egyptienne, Justice, and Régénérée, and two small ex-Venetian frigates, of whose names we are uncertain. The Dubois appears to have been broken up. The Héliopolis was probably one of the ex-Turkish corvettes restored to the captain pacha ; and the Lodi, since the middle of May, had been despatched to France with General Reynier, sent home by General Menou. This remarkably fine brig, in spite of the numerous British cruisers at that time in the Mediterranean, accomplished her passage in safety, arriving on the 28th of June at the port of Nice.
In the division of the ships between the British and Turkish naval commanders-in-chief, the latter received the Causse, Justice, and one of the Venetian frigates; and the former, the Egyptienne, Régénérée, and the other Venetian frigate. What became of the latter frigate we are unable to say; but the Régénérée, a ship of 902 tons, and a very fast sailer, was added to the British navy as a 12-pounder 36-gun frigate, by the name of Alexandria. The Egyptienne was also added to the British navy, by her own name; and, from her size and qualifications, claims a more particular notice.
Of the two new ships of the line which Buonaparte, in his letter to the Directory of April, 1798,* contemplated to have ready by the ensuing September, one, as already stated, was the Spartiate, just ready to be, if not actually launched. The other ship either had already been ; or then was, so altered in her construction, that, instead of becoming a 74 of about 1700 tons French, or 1900 English, she was launched on the 18th of July, 1799, as a frigate of 1430 tons English. This had been done, by throwing in her stem and stern until they were perpendicular,
* See vol. ii., p. 112,
^ back to top ^