Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>>

10 Pages <<<

1810 Light Squadrons and Single Ships 234

in arranging the telegraphic communication between the island of Jersey and the British squadron off Cherbourg. This gentle. man, while in the act of firing his musket at the enemy, received a musket-ball through his hat, which carried away the outer angle of the socket of his left eye, and, passing through the centre of the upper eyelid, slightly grazed his nose. He, notwithstanding, refused to quit the deck, and continued to supply ammunition to those near him until the affair terminated.

On the 5th of September, in the morning, while the British 38-gun frigate Surveillante, Captain George Ralph Collier, and gun-brig Constant, Lieutenant John Stokes, were standing out of the Morbihan for the purpose of reconnoitring the Loire, a division of a French convoy was observed to take advantage of the frigate's departure and run from the Morbihan to the southward. The convoy was immediately chased, and a part of it driven back. One brig sought protection close under the rocks, and between the batteries, of St.-Guildas and St. Jacques. Captain Collier immediately dispatched the boats of the Surveillante, under the orders of Lieutenant the Honourable James Arbuthnot, assisted by master's mate John Illingworth, and midshipmen John Kingdom, Digby Marsh, Edwyn Francis Stanhope, William Crowder, John Watt, and Herbert Ashton, to attempt the capture or destruction of the brig.

Notwithstanding the protection afforded to the French brig by the batteries, and by the additional fire of a party of soldiers placed within the caverns and supported by field-pieces, Lieutenant Arbuthnot and Mr. Illingworth in the gig, assisted by the other boats, succeeded in carrying the vessel. The crew of the gig then cut her cables and hawsers, and the prize was brought out without the slightest loss on the part of the British. But Captain Collier handsomely acknowledges that this fortunate termination of the enterprise was mainly attributable to the " zeal and determination of Lieutenant Stokes, of the Constant, who, with admirable skill and judgment, pushed his brig in between the rocks and shoals of St.-Guildas, and by a well directed fire kept the enemy close within their holes and caves among the rocks." In performing this service, the Constant became necessarily exposed to showers of grape, but a few of those shot through her sails and bulwark comprised the extent of the injury she received.

On the 6th, late in the night, the Surveillante detached two boats, under the orders of master's mate John Illingworth, assisted by midshipmen John Kingdom and Hector Rose, to destroy a new battery of one, long 24-pounder, and a guardhouse having a small watchtower attached to it, protecting the north side of; and the entrance into, the river Crache, in which lay at anchor several coasters. Although the day had dawned before the British reached the spot, they first decoyed the guard from the battery, and then drove them from the beach. Mr.

^ back to top ^