Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>>

10 Pages <<<

1810 Captain Pym at Grand-Port 291

arrived at St.-Denis, Isle Bourbon. at 2 a.m. on the 27th.

Meanwhile the Iphigenia continued her exertions to reach the anchorage under Isle de la Passe ; which post Captain Pym, on giving up the command after the loss of his ship, had recommended Captain Lambert to support and protect.

On the 26th, at 4 a.m., the officers of the Iphigenia found that their ship had driven considerably during the night ; also that the stock of the bower anchor was badly broken. The frigate now recommenced warping, but having fouled her stream cable, was obliged to get out an 18-pounder to heave ahead by to clear it. At noon the Bellone was observed to have hove herself afloat. At sunset Captain Lambert despatched Lieutenant Robert Wauchope, with the barge of the late Magicienne, to endeavour to reach Bourbon ; and at 8 h. 30 m. p.m. the Iphigenia came to with the bower and stream anchors, in 13 fathoms, at the distance of about three quarters of a mile from Isle de la Passe.

On the 27th, at 8 a.m., while again warping and still making very slow progress, the Iphigenia discovered three strange frigates working up to Isle de la Passe. At noon the Entreprenant exchanged signals with them ; and all the ships in Grand-Port were seen to be afloat, the Bellone on the outside of them. The Iphigenia now cleared for action, and sent to the island as many men as left her with a crew of between 400 and 500, so as to be able to fight both sides of the ship at once. Unfortunately, however, there was not ammunition enough on board to maintain an action of any continuance with one side only, the ship having, in all, only 35 broadsides of 18-pound shot, and about 15 of grape and canister, for the main-deckers, and 30 broadsides of 32-pound shot, and about 20 of grape and canister, for the carronades. We will now endeavour to show, how it happened that this second squadron of French frigates came thus to put an end to all hopes on the part of the Iphigenia.

This French squadron, consisting, besides the Entreprenant, of the three frigates Vénus, Astrée, and Manche, had sailed from Port-Louis at midnight on the 21st, and was under the command of Commodore Hamelin, the senior French naval officer on the station. The sudden departure of these frigates was for the express purpose of relieving those in Grand-Port, under M. Duperré. On the 23d M. Hamelin, on his rout by the northern extremity of the island, fell in with and captured the English transport-ship Ranger, 24 days from the Cape, laden with nearly 300 tons of provisions for Commodore Rowley's squadron, and having on board a frigate's three topmasts, three topsail yards, and one lower yard ; and consequently a prize of no inconsiderable value in this quarter of the world. An officer and 12 men were put on board, and the Ranger was despatched to Port-Louis. Finding himself continually thwarted by head winds, M. Hamelin changed his route, and steered to

^ back to top ^