Contents

Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>

10 Pages <<
1813 Concluding operations in the Adriatic 257

road and harbour, besides two or three two-deckers on the stocks.

On the 5th of January, after a 10 days' cannonade, the fortress of Cattaro in the Adriatic, surrendered to the British 38-gun frigate Bacchante, Captain William Hoste, and the 18-gun brig-sloop Saracen, Captain John Harper. The loss on the occasion was comparatively trifling, amounting to only one seaman killed, and Lieutenant of marines William Haig, slightly wounded. Captain Hoste, in his letter to Rear-admiral Fremantle on the subject, speaks in high terms of the following officers : Captain Harper, Lieutenants John Hancock and Charles Robert Milbourne, acting Lieutenant William Lee Rees, Mr. Stephen Vale, the Bacchante's master, Lieutenant Haig, and midshipman Charles Bruce. On the 28th Ragusa surrendered to the Bacchante and Saracen, and to a body of British and Austrian troops who were besieging the fortress ; and on the 13th of February, the island of Paxo surrendered, without resistance, to the British 38-gun frigate Apollo, Captain Bridges Watkinson Taylor, and a detachment of troops under Lieutenant-colonel Church.

In the course of January and February, indeed, by the active and gallant exertions of the different ships composing the squadron of Rear-admiral Fremantle in the Adriatic, aided by detachments of Austrian troops, every place belonging to the French in Dalmatia, Croatia, Istria, and the Frioul, with all the islands in that sea, surrendered to the allies ; as, in the month of March and April, did Spezzia and Genoa to a small squadron under the command of Sir Josias Rowley aided by a detachment of British troops and a division of Sicilian gun-boats. At Genoa the British gained possession of the French 74-gun ship Brilliant ready for launching, another 74 in frame, and four brig-corvettes, of which the Renard that had engaged the Swallow was one. The Brilliant was a ship of 1883 tons, and, being built of good oak, became an acquisition to the British navy ; in which she still continues under the name of Genoa.

In order to co-operate with the British army under the Marquess of Wellington, which, on the 20th of February, had reached the banks of the Adour, a small squadron had been stationed off the mouth of the river, under the command of Rear-admiral Charles Vinicombe Penrose ; who, to get nearer to the scene of operations, had embarked on board the 24-gun ship Porcupine, Captain John Coode. On the morning of the 23d, which was as early as the ships and the boats collected for the service could arrive off the river, the latter were detached to endeavour to find a passage through the tremendous surf that beats over the bar. At this time the British troops were seen from the ships, crossing over to the north side of the river, but greatly in want of the boats intended for their assistance. Thus stimulated, Captain Dowell O'Reilly, of the 10-gun brig

^ back to top ^