Extracts from Late 19th Century and Early 20th Century Newspapers

Obituaries - various

(In addition to Obituaries a number of deaths are also included)

Source: the The Illustrated London News of Nov. 9, 1907 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds

Mrs GARRETT formerly DASHWOOD who died at Bournemouth towards the end of last week, was one of the Heroines of the Seige of Lucknow. She went to India as the wife of Lieutenant DASHWOOD while she was only in her teens, and was at the Residency, in Sir Joseph FAYRER's house, during the seige. Her husband, her son, and her brother-in-law died in beleaguered Lucknow. She returned to England in 1857, and married in 1894 Colonel A.R. GARRETT, who died three years ago. She figures very largely in Sir Joseph FAYRER's " Recollections"

Source: ST JAMES'S BUDGET, dated January 6th, 1882

Lieutenant-General J.W. MACDONALD, C.B private secretary and equerry to the Duke of Cambridge, is dead. He entered the army as ensign in the 1st Life Guards in 1829, became Lieutenant 1834;  Captain, June, 1837, Major 1849, and Lieutenant-Colonel 1854, when he went on half-pay.   For upwards of thirty years he had been equerry to the Duke of Cambridge, and in July 1856, was appointed private secretary to the Commander-in-Chief. He accompanied the Duke as aide-de-camp in the expedition to Turkey in 1854.   He served throughout the Eastern campaign, including the battles Alma, Balaclava, and Inkerman {in which he had twice a horse shot} the siege of Sebastpol, and sortie of the 26th of October. For his services during the war he was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath, and a Knight of the Legion of Honour, and received the 5th class of the Medjidie, the Turkish medal, and the Crimean medal with four clasps.

Our Obituary: from the "The Graphic" June 19, 1886

Sir Alexander STUART in his sixty-second year, of Sir Alexander STUART, Executive Commissioner for New South Wales at the Colonial and Indian Exhibition, and from 1883 to 1885 Prime Minister of that Colony; In his eighty-eighth year.

Mr. Alexander T. FINLAY, Liberal M.P. for Argyllshire from 1857 to 1868

Sir George W. KELLNER in his sixty-second year, of Sir George W. KELLNER, who, after filling several important posts in India, and afterwards in Cyprus, was appointed, in 1884, Assistant Paymaster-General in the Court of Chancery

Major-General T.R. MOULD, of the Royal Engineers {retired}, who was Colonel commanding the Royal Engineers during the Maori War from 1860 to 1865

In his eighty-seventh year, of the Rev. J. MOOR, Rector of Great Bealings, Honorary Canon of Norwich, and Rural Dean

In his seventy-seventh year, of the Rev. William BLYTH, Honorary Canon of Norwich, Rural Dean, Rector of Fincham St. Michael, and author of a " History of Fincham"

In his eighty-seventh year, of the Rev. Robert HOLBERTON, formerly Archdeacon of St. John's, Antigua, and for twenty-five years Vicar of St. Peter's, Norbiton;

At Moline?, Illinois, U.S., of Mr. F.J. DICKENS, son of the novelist

Source: Our Obituary: from the "The Graphic" dated July,17th 1886

Includes the death, in her ninety-first year, of Lady Mary LEGGE, daughter of the third Earl of Dartmouth

In his sixty-sixth year, of Sir Edward C. KERRISON, Bart., formerly Conservative M.P. for Eye and East Suffolk successively; in his forty-ninth year

Of the Hon. Edward ROMILLY, second son of the first Lord ROMILLY, and one of the Masters of the Supreme Court of Judicature

Of Mr. Edward C. TUFNELL, for nearly forty years one of H.M.'s Inspectors of Poor Law and Industrial Schools, who with the late Sir G. Kay SHUTTLEWORTH, founded Battersea College, the first training institution of the kind in England- at first liberally contributing from his private means to its support- and to whom the development of the pupil-teacher system is largely due; in his seventy-ninth year,

Of General H.H.GRAHAM, Colonel of the 2nd Battalion of the Duke of Cambridge's Own {Middlesex} Regiment, who served in China from 1852 to 1859, and from 1860 to 1867 was Superintendent of the Recruiting Service

Of Major-General John EDMONDSTOUNE, late of the 32nd. Light Infantry {Lucknow} Regiment, who entered the Army as an ensign in 1850, and served with distinction in the Indian Mutiny Campaign's; in his sixty-ninth year.

Of Captain Edward BURSTAL, R.N., Secretary to the Thames Conservancy; in his eighty -first year

Of the Rev. Daniel WILSON, prebendary of St. Paul's, Rural Dean, and for fifty-four years Vicar of Islington

In his seventy-fifth year, of the Rev. P.P. GILBERT, Vicar of St Gile's, Cripplegate

In his sixth-fifth year, of the Rev. J.P. CHOWN, ex-President of the Baptist Union of England and Wales, one of the most popular pulpit orators of his Communion, and a zealous advocate of the Temperance cause, from 1875 until his resignation last year through ill-health. Successor of the late Rev. Dr. BROCK in the pastorate of Bloomsbury Chapel, London;

In his sixty-third year, of the Rev. William CAMPBELL, H.M. Inspector of Schools

In his fifty-seventh year, of Mr. Henry A. CHURCHILL, who at twenty began his career in the service of the Crown by assisting the British Commission for the Delimitation of the Turco-Persian Boundary. As Secretary and Interpreter on the Staff of the British Commissioner with the Turkish Army in the Asia, he took part in the defence of Kars, and was for a time a Russian prisoner, on its capitulation, to General Mouravieff. After filling several important Consulships and Consul-Generalships, he was appointed in 1879 Consul of Palermo.

Our Obituary: from the "The Graphic" dated March 1888 {full date not available}

OUR OBITUARY records the death, in her eighty-eighth year, of Mrs. PROCTOR, widow of Mr. B.W. PROCTOR, better known as Barry CORNWALL, the lyricist and dramatist, after whose death there continued to gather round her a large circle of friends, comprising celebrities as Mr. Robert BROWNING and the late Lord HOUGHTON

In his seventy-fifth year, of Sir Richard BROOKE, seventh Baronet

In his sixty-ninth year, of Lieutenant-General Thomas LIGHTFOOT, who served with much distinction in India during the Mutiny

In his fifty-sixth year, of Mr. Frank A. YEO, since 1885 Gladstonian M.P. for West Glamorganshire, twice Mayor of Swansea, and joint-founder of the firm CORY, YEO and Co., colliery Proprietors and patent fuel manufacturers

In his eighty-sixth year, of the Most Rev. Dr. WALSH, Roman Catholic Bishop of Kildare; Of the Venerable P.R. ATKINSON, Canon of Winchester and Archdeacon of Surrey, who was ordained more than thirty years ago

In his fifty-sixth year, of the Rev. Frederick H. SUTTON, Prebendary of Lincoln Cathedral

In his 57th year, of the Rev John GRAVES, Her Majesty's Chaplain in Ordinary at Kensington Palace

In his eighty-first year, of Mr. Thomas TATE, a mathematician and scientist of considerable reputation, author of many popular educational works, scientific and mathematical, and of others on applied science, published in conjunction with Sir William FAIRBAIRN, whom he assisted in experiments and researches during the construction of the Conway and Menai Tubular Bridge

In his sixty-sixth year, of Mr. Norman MACBETH, R.S.A., the Scotch portrait-painter, father of Mr. R.W. MACBETH, A.R.A.

In his hundred-and-fifth year, of Mr. Pattison JOLLY, probably the oldest painter in the world, who served his time with Sir Walter Scott's proteges the Ballantynes of Edinburgh, and who for half-a-century afterwards was a printer in Dublin:

And in his sixty-seventh year, of Admiral Sir Astley COOPER-KEY eminent for his skill in applying science to the wants of the Navy. After serving with distinction in both hemispheres, he was charged in various important official positions, among them that of Director-General of Naval Ordnance, with the great development of the iron plate and the heavy gun for naval purposes. One of his subsequent appointments was in 1876 to the chief command of the North American and West Indian station. In 1879 he became Principal Naval Lord of the Admiralty, retaining that office under two successive administrations, and in 1882 was made G.C.B. for his services in the Egyptian expedition of that year. In 1886 he was placed on the retired list of Admirals.

The Duke of Rutland died at Belvoir on Saturday, after an illness of a few weeks, in his seventy-third year. In his twenty-second year, as Marquis of Granby, he was elected Conservative M.P. for Stamford, which he represented for fifteen years, becoming in 1852 M.P. for North Leicestershire, and retaining that seat until his accession to the dukedom in 1857. A staunch Protectionist and Tory of the old school, he remained throughout life faithful to his creed, supporting Protection long after it had been abandoned by the Conservative leaders, and protesting against the Conservative Reform Bill of 1867, as modified before it reached the House of Lords, and the later measure of 1884. He was much esteemed by his neighbours and tenantry.

Source: The Graphic dated Feb. 5, 1887

Lieut. John Stewart SHAW: the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment Born Jan. 27, 1866. Died of Cholera, at Yemethen, Burma, Dec. 14, 1886 Was the youngest son of Colonel David Shaw, madras Staff Corps. Passing out second of his batch from Sandhurst, he selected and joined, in January of last year, the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, then stationed at Calcutta. On the opening of the autumn campaign he proceeded with his regiment to Burma, joining the division operating in the Yemethen district. He took part in several engagements, and while in the enjoyment of excellent health was seized, on December 8th, with cholera, and died at Yemethen in the 14th. This promising young officer was a general favourite in his regiment, and had already gained the esteem and confidence of his superiors in command.

Source: The Graphic" dated July 9, 1887

Sopia, Countess of Leven and Melville in his? eighty-sixth year

Mr. H. Crum Ewing: Lord-Lieutenant of Dumbartonshire, formerly M.P. for Paisley, one of those advanced Liberals who, at the last General Election, joined the Unionist party

In his seventy-seventh year, of Mr John Floyer, one of the recently appointed Privy Councillors, for many years Conservative M.P. for Dorsetshire

In his eighty-second year, of Admiral John E. Erskine, second in Command of the Channel Squadron 1859-61, and Liberal M.P. for Stirlingshire 1865-74

In his eighty-seventh year, of Admiral Sir H.M. Denham

In his seventy-eighth year, of Vice-Admiral J. Bedford

At the advanced age of ninety-four, of Mr. W. Fawcett, father of the late Professor Fawcett, and an ardent Liberal, in 1832 Mayor, and for many years an Alderman of Salisbury

In his fifty-seventh year, suddenly, while crossing the Furca Pass, Switzerland, of Mr. R.D. Beasley, late Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, and formerly Head Master of Grantham Grammar School

In his fifty-seventh year, of the Rev.J.C.H. Croft, Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge

In his sixty-second year, of Mr. Lindsay Sloper, the well-known musical professor and composer

And, in his eighty-seventh year, of the fourteenth Marquis of Winchester, Premier Marquis of England, and Lord-Lieutenant of Hampshire. He was for many years in the 10th Hussars, retiring from it when he was its Lieutenant-Colonial, and after having been for some time aide-de-camp to the Duke of Wellington. he declined a high post at Court offered by the late Prince Consort, on the ground that the estates to which he had recently succeeded-his father died in 1843- were much embarrassed, and that he had set himself the task of rehabilitating the fortunes of his family. In discharging this task he showed himself a successful agriculturist, and an excellent man of business. He married in 1885 the eldest daughter of the sixth Lord Rokeby, and is succeeded by his eldest son, the Earl of Wiltshire, Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards.

Taken from " The Graphic " dated July 24, 1886 Obituary as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

Sir George W. KELLNER, K.C.M.G., C.S.I., born 1825; died June 10, 1886, son of the late Mr. F.D. KELLNER at his residence in Pembridge Villas.....? { parts missing }

Captain W.G.DUNSFORD, Bengall Staff, Killed in Action in Burma, May 12, 1886; was the second son of Mr. H.F. DUNSFORD, C.B., of Upper Kings Cliff, Jersey, by .......? daughter of the late General George SHAW, R.A.

HAWKINS-WHITSHED, Hon. Lady, daughter of the second Lord ERSKINE, in her 75th year.

WALPOLE, Mrs., fourth daughter of Spencer PERCEVAL who, when prime Minister, was in 1812 assassinated by BELLINGHAM in the House of Commons, and wife of the Right Hon. Spencer Horatio WALPOLE, Home Secretary in Three Conservative Administrations, to whom she was married in 1835, in her 85th year.

ANSTRUTHER, Sir Robert, who represented Fifeshire in the Liberal interest from 1864 to 1880, and who sat in the last Parliament for the St. Andrew's Burghs, in his 53rd year.

STEVENSON, Mr. David { not "STEPHENSON", as printed in the obituary of the Times}, well-known civil engineer, son of Mr. Robert STEVENSON, engineer of the Bell Rock and other lighthouses, in his 71st year.

LOW, Mr. William, in early life a railway engineer, afterwards a mine-proprietor in North Wales, and latterly one of the engineers and most strenuous promoters of the Channel Tunnel, in his 73rd year. CLUBBE, Rev. C.W., for seventeen years the Rector of Sigglesthorpe, Hull, and previously for seventeen years Vicar of Hughenden, in his 63rd year.

WILSON, Rev. Daniel, Vicar of Islington, was interred in the East Finchley Cemetery { whose death was reported in last week's Obituary}., he was the son of Rev Daniel WILSON, a well known champion of Evangelicanism. who, after holding the family Vicarage of Islington, was in 1832 appointed Bishop of Calcutta.


The personalty left by Mr. W.A.SMEE, who died suddenly at his warehouse, Finsbury Pavement, last April, has been proved.

Taken from " The Graphic " dated August 14, 1886 Obituary as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

HUYSHE, Major-General, who served in the China War 1859-60, in the Egyptian Expedition of 1882, and in the Soudan Campaign of 1885, in his 47th year.

ATKINSON, Captain R.T., of the old 67th, now the Hampshire Regiment, killed in action at Sulenmyo, Burmah, an officer who had served in the Afghan War of 1879, in his 37th year.

FERGUSON, Sir Samuel, President of the Irish academy, Deputy keeper of Public Records in ireland, in his 76th year.

BIRCH, Ven, Archdeacon, Vicar of Blackburn, previously for thirty-two years Rector of St. Saviour's, Manchester, in his 78th year.

HAYARD, Rev. J.W., Vicar of Grandborough, Bucks, formerly Chaplain to the Forces in the Crimea, in his 63rd year.

SAXBY, Rev. Stephen H., for twenty-six years Vicar at All saint's, East Clevedon, acknowledged eminence in astronomy, and recently made an F.R.S. for his services to science.

MANN, Dr. R.J., well known as an active member of various scientific societies in the metropolis, in his 70th year.

BUSK, Mr. George, the eminent surgeon and naturalist, in his 78th year.

Taken from The Graphic, dated March 22, 1884 (p274) as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

Baroness Lionel De ROTHSCHILD was buried on Sunday in Willesden Cemetery. The large assemblage of mourners included representative of the Jewish charitable and educational institutions.

Obituary of the Week

The Dowager Countess of Darley, in her eightieth year; of Lord MOSTYN, Lord-Lieut. of Merionethshire, at an advanced age of eighty-nine;

Of Lord FALKLAND { a descendant of the Cavalier-hero }, formerly Governor of Bombay, in his eighty-first year;

of General Sir Arthur CUNYNGHAME, in his seventy-third year, who distinguished himself in the China War of 1841 and in the Crimean War, and as the Major-General commanding the Dublin districts in the Fenian rising of 1867, afterwards preceding Lord CHELMSFORD in the command of the forces at the Cape;

of Mr. James HITE, a very wealthy, prominent, and munificent Glasgow citizen, who subscribed to the fund for the relief of the sufferers by the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank,

of madame Anna BISHOP, the vocalist; and that veteran writer,

Mr. R.H. HORNE, in his eighty-second year. Mr. HORNE'S career was as varied as his authorship was versatile. He began active life by seeing considerable service in the Mexican navy during the South American struggle for independence, and ended it in the official service of the Government of Victoria as Commissioner of the Gold Fields and otherwise.

Taken from The Graphic, January 5, 1889 p 3 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

Mr. John RYLANDS This remarkable man, who was the chief of probably the largest manufacturing and mercantile concern in the world, died on December 11th, at Longford Hall, near Manchester. Although in his eighty-eighth year, his physical and mental vigour was such that up to the last he retained supreme direction of his business. The commercial instant was very early developed in young RYLANDS. He bought articles which he resold at a profit to his schoolfellows, and had actually, while still a schoolboy, started a weaving business on a small scale. When he was eighteen, he and his elder brother Joseph took possession of a small cotton-mill at Wigan. Joseph managed the mill, while John rode about the country on horseback with bags full of samples. The business prospered so well that the father joined the firm, and put more capital into it. This was the beginning of the great firm of "Joseph Rylands and Sons ". In 1840 Joseph Rylands, the younger retired, and in 1847 the father died. John, the sole survivor, threw himself with greater zeal than ever into the expansion of the concern. Mill after mill was e.....? { paper damaged} or bought, so that before long the firm could supply anything the manufacturer of which cotton, calico, or woolens entere..? oil-cloths to window-curtains, reels of thread to umbrellas and eider downs to corsets. In 1873 the firm converted into a Lin....?Liability Company. Mr. Rylands was in religion a Congregationalist, in Politics, Liberal. He was a generous supporter of charitable efforts. He was twice married, but none of his children survive him.


Mr. Laurence OLIPHANT He was the son of the late Mr. OLIPHANT, C.B., and was born in 1829.He was trained for the Bar, and was admitted to both the Scottish and the English bar. Shortly before the Crimean war, he travelled through Russia, and thence proceeded to canada, where he became Private Secretary to the Governor-General, Lord ELGIN, whom he accompanied, in 1857, on his special mission to China.

Quite recently he married the daughter of the late Robert Da...?OWEN. He died after a lingering illness, on December 23rd, and was buried at Twickenham New Cemetry on the 27th.


Mr. P.H. MUNTZ Who died at his residence at Leamington, on Christmas morning, after a paralytic seizure, was in his seventy-eighth year of his age, and had been connected with the commercial and political life of Birmingham for a period of over fifty years. He served as Mayor in 1839 and 1840. In 1856 he resigned his position as Alderman, and did not resume his connection with the governing body of the town.

Taken from The Graphic dated January 5, 1889 p 7 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

The death is announced of Viscount EVERSLEY, { known in public life as Mr. SHAW-LEFEVRE }, within a few weeks of completing his ninety-fifth year. His wife was the daughter of the eminent Whig, Samuel WHITBREAD, by a daughter of Earl GREY, of Reform Bill celebrity. He entered the House of Commons, in 1830, as a Liberal, he was elected Speaker, in 1839. He retired from the Speakership in 1857, when he received a Peerage, which now becomes extinct.


The Countess of Sheffield, in her eighty-eighth year, mother of the present Earl of Sheffield; in his eighty-fourth year,

of Lord William OSBORNE-ELPHINSTONE, brother of the eighth Duke of Leeds, who was Military Secretary, 1836-41, to Lord Auckland, when Governor-General of India;

in his fifty-ninth year, of Sir John R. BLOIS, Bart., in 1862 High Sheriff of Suffolk;

in his sixty-fourth year, of Lieut. General Horatio M. MORANT, who served with distinction in the Crimea, and in New Zealand during the Maori War of 1864-6;

in his fifty-ninth year, of Lieut-General Samuel BLYTH, who distinguished himself in the new Zealand wars of 1863-65, and in the Afghan War of 1878-9;

of Surgeon-General F.F. ALLEN, honorary physician to the Queen, who saw a great deal of service in India, and received the thanks of Sir Frederick ROBERTS for the efficient discharge of his duties, he was Deputy Surgeon-General of the Koorum Field Force;

in his ..................??? the Rev.Frederic J. NORNAM, Hon. Canon of Petersborough, Rural Dean and Rector of Bottesford;

of the Rev. Stephen PARKINSON, D.D., many years a fellow and tutor of St. John's College, Cambridge, Senior Wrangler in 1845, and author of treaties on mechanics and optics;

In his eighty-first year, of Mr. Alderman EMANUEL, one of the oldest Liberals in Portsmouth, of which town he was Mayor in 1867, formerly a member of the well-known firm of jewellers there, and an active promoter of the development of Southsea as a watering-place;

in his sixty-fifth year, of Mr. William G. GOODLIFFE, late Accountant-General, India Office; in his seventy-fourth year, of Mr. George MURDOCH, R.N., who was for many years Chief Inspector of Machinery, attached to the Portsmouth Steam Reserve, prosecuted valuable experiments as to the evaporative qualities of the coal used in the Navy, and who claimed to have invented in 1866 the breech-loading system of ordnance;

in his fifty-first year, Mr. J.J. COLEMAN, inventor of the refrigerating-machine which bears his name;

in his sixty-eighth year, Mr. Henry DUNPHY, for upwards of forty years on the staff of the "Morning Post ";

and of Mr. James SWINTON, once well-known in London society by his portraits of distinguished persons of both sexes, executed with singular grace in crayon-drawings, the size of life, and also by his portraits in oil.

Taken from The Graphic dated January 5, 1889 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

Lieutenant Charles B. MACDONALD, R.N., p 154

Was the second son of Colonel and the late Mrs. MACDONALD, of St. Martin's Abbey, Perth, Scotland. He was born in 1856, and entered the Navy in 1869. While midshipman of the " Charybdis " he had seen somewhat similar service to that on which he was engaged and killed. The service was against the Malays, and for it he received the Perak medal and clasp. Recently, as first lieutenant of H.M.S. " Ranger " { East India Station }, he was in command of the steam-launch " Forrester " protecting the River Irrawaddy in Burma, and was shot dead by dacoits in an engagement which took place on Sunday, January 9th.

Taken from the Graphic dated May 1, 1886 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

Mr. C. DALRYMPLE is the second son of the late Sir Charles DALRYMPLE-FERGUSSON. he assumed the name DALRYMPLE in 1849. He was born in 1839, educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge, and was called to the Bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1865. He is a Captain of the 4th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. He sat for Buteshire from 1868 to April, 1880, and again from July 1880, up to Dissolution last November. In 1874 he married Alice mary, second daughter of Sir Edward Hunter BLAIR, fourth Baronet.


Hugo Richard CHARTERIS, { Baron Elcho } is the eldest son of the ninth Earl of Wemyss and March, by Lady Anne Frederica, second daughter of the first Earl of Lichfield. He was born in 1857, and was educated at Harrow and Balliol College, Oxford. He accompanied Mr. BOURKE, as Assistant Private Secretary on his Financial Mission to Constantinople. He was formerly Lieutenant in the 5th Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots. He sat for Haddingtonshire from February, 1883, to the close of the last Parliament. In 1883 he married Mary Constance, daughter of the Hon. Percy Scawen WYNDHAM, M.P.


OUR OBITUARY also chronicle the death, in his seventy-ninth year, of Lord VIVIAN, formerly Liberal M.P. for Bodmin and Lord-Lieut of Cornwall, who is succeeded by his eldest son, the Hon. H.E. VIVIAN, Envoy Extraordinary to the Court of Denmark;

in his seventy-ninth year, of Sir Henry Morgan VANE, since 1853 Secretary to the Charity Commission:

in his sixty-fifth year, of Sir William R. ROBINSON, formerly Member of the Madras Council, and Acting-Governor of that Presidency for a short time in 1875;

in his seventy-fourth year, of Sir Henry EDWARDS, a well known Yorkshire Conservative, Lieut-Colonel Commandant of the 2nd West York Yeomanry Cavalry, who has represented Halifax and Beverley in the House of Commons;

at the advanced age of ninety-two of the Rev. T. BRERETON, Rector of Briningham, Norfolk, and many years ago chaplain at Rome and Versailles successively;

in her eighty-third year, of Mrs. LAING, since 1860 Honorary Secretary of the Governesses' Benevolent Institution in succession to her husband, the late Rev. Dr. LAING, its founder;

in his fifty-ninth year, of Mr. Edmund OLLIER, the well-known littérateur, who wrote, among other works, a history of the United States, of the war between France and Germany, and of the last Russo-Turkish War, also editing the Doré gallery, and whose father, the late Charles OLLIER, besides being an author, was the publisher of some of the early works of SHELLEY and KEATS;

in his seventy-third year, of Thomas EDWARDS, the naturalist of humble life, with whose career the reading public have been made familiar by Dr. Samuel SMILE'S interesting biography of him.

Taken from The Graphic dated Saturday, February 16, 1884 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:



The late Captain Frederick H. FORRESTER-WALKER, who was killed near Tokar on the 4th inst., was the second son of Colonel G.E.L. WALKER, now commanding the Royal Engineers at Hong Kong, and grandson of the late General Sir George WALKER, Bart., G.C.B., a distinguished Peninsular officer. He was born March 10, 1862, and was educated at Bute House, Petersham, and by the Rev. J. PRITCHARD, Wargrave. He entered the East Kent Militia as a sub-lieutenant June 18, 1881, and, resigning his commission in November, 1882, he proceeded to Egypt, and was appointed a captain on HICK'S PASHA'S Staff. He served under his general in his first expedition, but, being invalided home, he returned to Egypt just too late to share in the disastrous defeat at Kashgil. He was then appointed to BAKER PASHA'S staff, and on the fatal 4th he commanded the Artillery. A correspondent describes how " WALKER, although wounded, returned to the rear, and for a quarter of an hour protected the flying Egyptians with his revolver." He was not seen again.


p 150

James Anderson Morice BEY, this unfortunate officer, who was killed in the disastrous defeat of Baker Pash's force at Teb, was the fourth son of the late Commander George Farquhar MORICE, R.N. he entered the Royal Marine Infantry in 1853, and retired with the rank of Major. He subsequently went to Egypt where he was appointed Inspector-General of the Coastgaurd in Alexandria. During the Egyptian campaign he rendered considerable service, being attached to general WOLSELEY'S Staff as the Khédive's aide-de-camp. He reconnoitred the ground before Tel-el-kebir, and altogether performed much valuable service, being universally esteemed as a popular and energetic officer, He volunteered to act as paymaster to BAKER PASHA'S forces. His brother is Morice PASHA, an officer of considerable ability in the Egyptian navy.



p 150

Major G.D.GILES, of the 1st Sind Horse, joined the Indian Staff Corps, Bombay, in 1876, and served in the 19th Native Infantry and his present Regiment {in which he holds the rank of Lieutenant}, through both campaigns of the last Afghan War, chiefly on the Khelat and Candahar frontiers.

Returning to England after the war, on furlough for a year, he was permitted by the Indian Government, at the expiration of his leave, to join, with the rank of major, the Reserve Cavalry, then being raised by BAKER PASHA for Gendarmerie service to Egypt.

On the destruction of HICK'S PASHA'S force, he with the Gendarmerie was sent to Suakim, where he had since been serving in command of the Turkish Cavalry, with whom he was present at the defeat of BAKER PASHA on Monday week. major GILES is an accomplished artist, and is a constant contributor to this journal.


GENERAL George Colville BORTHWICK, who has been appointed Commander-in-Chief in Eastern Roumelia, is the youngest son of the late Mr. Peter BORTHWICK, M.P., for Eversham, and is a brother of Sir Algernon BORTHWICK. He entered the Turkish army in 1862, and was promoted for his services in the Cretan War. He visited in his military capacity Syria, Armenia, and other provinces of the Ottoman Empire, and took part in the great war against the Russian aggression in 1877. For these services he bears the war medals and also the Medjidie decoration. he was appointed Military Attaché to the Commission which settled in Eastern Roumelian Constitution, and subsequently Commander of the Gendarmerie of that important province. Upon the resignation of General STRECKER, General BORTHWICK has now succeeded to the command in chief of the forces of Eastern Roumelia.

Taken from The Graphic Saturday, April 26, 1884 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds:

In the OBITUARY for the week we note the death of retired Colonel Hugh Stewart COCHRANE, V.C., who greatly distinguished himself in the military operations consequent on the Indian Mutiny, and received the Victoria Cross for a gallant feat near Jhansi, in 1858;

of Major-General VAUGHAN-ARBUCKLE, late of the Royal Artillery, who served in the Burmese War of 1852-3, and in the war in the Crimea, at the age of fifty-two;

of Mr. SHERLOCK, Her Majesty'r First Serjeant-at-Law in Ireland, M.P. for King's County, from 1858 to 1880, in his seventieth year;

Of Mrs. Alfred WIGAN, the once-popular actress, in her seventy-ninth year;

of Mr. Frank W. GREEN, the well-known writer of burlesques, songs, and pantomimes;

of the Right Rev. Dr. WARNER, Roman catholic Bishop of Enniscorthy, a prelate who kept aloof from politics, and zealously promoted the temperance movement;

Of Mrs. BONHAM-CARTER, daughter of the late William SMITH, M.P., for Norwich, and aunt of Florence NIGHTINGALE, in her ninety-third year;

and of Mr. John LANCASTER, formerly M.P., for Wigan, who rose from humble beginnings to the ownership of the great mines of Nantyglo Blaina, Monmouthshire. The captain and several of the crew of the "Alabama ", after its engagement with the 'Kearage ", off Cherbourg, in 1864, were rescued by Mr. LANCASTER, who, to save them, exposed his yacht to the fire of the Federal war-steamer.

Source: The Graphic dated 29 March, 1884

British Officers Killed at Tamasi [p 298]

Lieutenant Houston STEWART, R.N.

H.M.S. " Dryad "

Killed at the Battle of Tamasi, March 13.

The roll of killed in the Battle of Tamasi, on March 13, is unfortunately greater that that of the Battle of El Teb. Five officers fell, and of these three belonged to the Naval Brigade, and died at their posts while defending the guns from furious onslaught which broke the line on the 65th, and caused guns to be temporarily abandoned, the men, however, only retiring when the ammunition failed, and being careful to "lock " the guns so as to render them useless to the enemy.

Lieutenant Houston STEWART was the eldest son of the Commander-in-Chief at Devonport, Sir Houston STEWART, and up to the time of his death was First Lieutenant of H.M.S. Dryad. he was only thirty-one years of age. He entered the Navy in 1866 as a cadet on board Britannia at Dartmouth in 1873, and became a midshipman in 1868, a Sub-Lieutenant in 1873, and a Lieutenant in 1876. He has seen much foreign service. The last ship he paid off was the Fantome. He then joined the Cambridge for a short course of gunnery duties, which he successfully passed. He was next appointed to the Achilles, one of the Channel Squadron. When it was deemed desirable to recommission the Dryad, the Admiralty selected Lieutenant Houston STEWART to fill the post of First Lieutenant of the ship. Lieutenant STEWART, together with all the other officers and men for the Dryad, left Devonport at the end of December, in the troopship Humber, and consequently had barely entered on his duties when he met with his death. He distinguished himself in the battle of El Teb, where he had charge of a gun. Lieutenant H. STEWART was called after his grandfather, the late Admiral of the Fleet.

"Our portrait is from a photograph by DEBENHAM and Co., Rembrandt House, Palmerston Road Southsea."

British Officers Killed at Tamasi [cont.] p 298 Taken from the Graphic dated 29 March, 1884

Major Walker AITKEN, Black Watch

Killed at the Battle of Tamasi, March 13.

Major Walker AITKEN, of the Black Watch, who fell in the desperate attack on the square at Tamasi, was born in 1842, and joined the 42nd in 1861. He served in India until driven home on sick leave by Peshawur fever. On the return of the Black Watch, in 1868, he rejoined his regiment, and in 1873, as a Lieutenant, accompanied it to the Gold Coast to reinforce Sir Garnet WOLSELEY, then engaged on the Ashantee Expedition. Being given command of the company he took part in actions of Amoaful and Ordasoo, and the final occupation of Coomassie. In 1882 his regiment was ordered to Egypt and although Major AITKEN had not entirely recovered from an accident in which he had sustained concussion of the brain, he insisted on his right to proceed with his company. In the attack on Arabi's entrenched position at Tel-el-Kebir, his company occupied the extreme right of the Highland Brigade, and during the day he displayed great decision and energy. His health again gave way, he was invalided home, but after a few months returned to Egypt, and accordingly was detailed for the Expedition for the relief of Tokar. He escaped without injury in the Battle of Teb, but, as we have said, fell at Tamasi, on the 29th ult. [please note--this date contradicts the date given by all who fell at Tamasi which was March 13.]

Our portrait is from a photograph by ELLIOTT and FRY, 55 and 56, Baker Street, London.W.


Captain Harry George Wakelyn FORD

York and Lancaster Regiment

Killed at the Battle of Tamasi, March 13.

Captain Harry George Wakelyn FORD was born in 1848. He was gazetted as Ensign to the 11th Foot in 1865, but did not join this regiment. He subsequently served in the 7th {the Royal Fusiliers}, in the Ceylon Rifle Regiment, and in this became Lieutenant in 1871. He afterwards joined the 56th {"the Pompadours"} and the York and Lancaster Regiment, to which he was gazettedCaptain in 1880, and with which he was killed in action at Tamasi. Captain FORD was the youngest son of William M. FORD, Staff Surgeon A.M.D., who died at Cephalonia, Ionian Islands, in 1850, in the exercise of the profession during the outbreak of cholera among the British troops there, and who had seen active service in China and at the Cape of Good Hope during the Kaffir War. Captain FORD was grandson of the late Lieut.-Colonel Charles SMITH, of Whittlesea, J.P.and D.L. of the Isle of Ely, who was wounded at Waterloo, where he fought with his brothers, the late Lieut.-General Sir Harry G.W. SMITH, Baronet of Aliwal, G.C.B., and the late Colonel Thomas Lawrence SMITH, C.B., for many years Barrack-master at Chatham and Aldershot.

Our portrait is from a photograph by R.L. GRAHAM.


Lieutenant Hughes Hallet MONTRESOR, R.N.

H.M.S. "Euryalus"

Killed at the Battle of Tamasi, March 13.

Lieutenant Hughes Hallett MONTRESOR, son of Admiral Frederick Byng MONTRESOR, by marriage with Emily, daughter of Mr.. J. DELAFIELD, entered the navy in 1868, was appointed lieutenant in 1879. As sub-lieutenant he served in Her Majesty's ship Swiftsure and Her Majesty's ship Himalaya, and as lieutenant was employed in the latter vessel, and in the Nautilus brig, tender to Her Majesty's ship Impregnable. From October, 1881, to March, 1883, Lieutenant MONTRESOR studied for torpedo lieutenant, and on examination took first-class certificate. In June, 1883, he was appointed torpedo lieutenant of the Euryalus, Admiral HEWETT'S Flagship, on the East Indian station. He took part in the action at El Teb, and served as adjutant to the Naval Brigade.

Our portrait is from a photograph by HEATH and BULLINGHAM, 24, George Street, Plymouth.


Lieutenant Walter B. ALMACK, R.N.

H.M.S. "Briton"

Killed at the Battle of Tamasi, March 13

Lieutenant Walter B. ALMACK was the fifth son of the Rev. H. ALMACK, D.D., Rector at Fawley, near Henley-on-Thames. He was thirty-three years of age, and entered the Navy in 1863. He was appointed Lieutenant in 1875. As Sun-Lieutenant he served on H.M.S.Pallas and Sultan, and as Lieutenant on board H.M.S. Raleigh, when that ship was in Besika Bay during the Russo-Turkish War. In 1879 he became Gunnery-Lieutenant, and was as such appointed to H.M.S. Penelope, the Flag Ship at Harwich. In 1881 he joined the Briton, and proceeded in her to the East Indian Station. The ship was summoned from Bombay on the outbreak of the present hostilities, and reached Suakim the day before the Battle of El Teb. During his first cruise he served as Midshipman on board H.M.S. Bull-Dog when that ship was engaged in September, 1865, with the forts at Cape Haitien, in the West Indies. During the fight he succeeded, under hot fire, in rescuing seven of the crew of a hostile ship sunk during the action. We may perhaps add that his crowning experience of actual war resembled in no slight degree the death of his great friend Lieutenant TROWER, who perished in the Naval Brigade on Majuba Hill in the late Boer War

Our portrait is from a photograph by WEST and Son, Eagle House, 97, High Street, Gosport.

Taken from The Graphic, 29 March, 1884. [Printed in London] p 299

To the Obituary of the Week belongs to the death o Dr. Allen THOMPSON, the distinguished embryologist, from 1848 to 1899 Professor of Anatomy in the University of Glasgow, and in the last-named year President of the British Association, at the age of seventy-five.

Of Samuel BOWELY, Gloucester, a member of the Society of Friends, and well known for his championship of anti-slavery and temperance, the day after the celebration of his eighty-second birthday.

And of the Rev. Edmund HOLLAND, of Benhal Lodge, Suffolk, a zealous and influential member of the Evangelical party in the Church of England.

Taken from The Graphic, Saturday, April 25, 1885 [Printed in London] p 403

Our Obituary includes the death, in her seventy-seventh year, of the Viscountess Frankfort de MONTMORENCY.

In his eighty-first year of General MACAN, Colonel of the 17th Regiment Bombay Native Infantry, who commanded a brigade in the assault and capture of Kotah, March, 1858.

At the age of fifty-nine, and after forty-four years spent in the service of the Crown, of Thomas G. GRANT, Superintendent of H.M.'s Naval and Victualling Establishments at Deptford, whose father was Comptroller of Victualling, and who earned the thanks of the Government for the skill and promptitude with which he organized the dispatch of the supplies furnished by this country to the starving denizens of Paris in 1871.

Of the Rev. Charles WICKSTEED, a prominent Unitarian, for fourteen years Minister of Mill Hill Unitarian Chapel, of his predecessors in which charge from 1672 to the beginning of this century he wrote, among other works, a series of discourses, published in 1853 as "Lectures on the Memory of the Just."

In his sixty-ninth year of Mr. James BARBER, who formerly was regarded as one of the richest men of the Turf, but died in poverty in a public-house at Sheffield.

At the advanced age of ninety-one, at Holwell, in Dorsetshire, of Samuel MILNER, who was at Waterloo with what was then the 12th Light Dragoons, and who for some time has been supported by a fund, the subscribers to which included the Duke of Cambridge and the officers of his old regiment.

Taken from The Sphere, dated 15 November 1919 [London Newspaper] Obituary p 150 [with a photo of each - to follow]

Sir Henry SMITH, partner in the well-known firm of Messrs. STAPLEY and SMITH, London Wall, died on November 1. He came to London from the North as a boy, ans was instrumental in building up a great business. His name appeared among the knights in Mr ASQUITH'S last honours list.

Sir Thomas WHITTAKER, M.P., who died on November 9, was Liberal M.P. for the Spen Valley Division of Yorkshire. He was a powerful advocate of temperance reform, and in 1916 was appointed chairman of the Royal Commission on the Importation of Paper.

The late Mr. J.S.R. PHILLIPS, Editor-in-Chief of " The Yorkshire Post," whose death occurred a few days ago. His first journalistic appointment was on " The Kendal Mercury," and he served on "The York Herald," "The Scotsman," and other papers, being appointed assistant editor of " The Yorkshire Post" in 1891.

The late Dr. J.L. DARBY, Dean of Chester, who died on November 5 from a heart attack. He was appointed Archdeacon of Chester in 1877, and nine years later was appointed to the deanery in succession to Dean HOWSON. He was eighty-seven years old when he died, and was a native of County Kilkenny, Ireland.


Margaret Maria Elizabeth, elder daughter of William BECKFORD [" Vathek "], who married Major-General James ORDE, died at Bath, September 7, 1818, in the thirty-fourth year of her age. Sussanna Euphemia, younger daughter, born at Chateau-la-Tour, Vevey, Switzerland, May 14, 1786, married in April, 1810, her cousin Marquis of Douglas, afterwards [in 1819] 10th Duke of Hamilton died May 27, 1859.

13 December, 1919 Taken from The Sphere - Obituary p 246 as transcribed by Bev Edmonds

Thomas de GREY, sixth Lord Walsingham, has just died at the age of seventy-five. He was a well-known entomologist and sportsman.

The late Sir Edwin PEARS, who has died at Malta, returned to Constantinople in April last, and was on his way back to England when he met with an accident.

Mr. William EVANS, C.B.,who has just died, was the first Inspector of Official Receivers for England and Wales.

The late Mr John ARDON, formerly assistant secretary at the G.P.O., who death is announced. He was vice-chairman of the International Telegraph Conference, 1905.

Taken from The Graphic, Saturday, 25 April, 1885. [Printed in London] p 407

DECEASED--We regret to announce the death last Thursday of Mr. Arthur HOWELL, husband of Madame Rose HERSEE, and himself a well-known contra-bass player, vocalist, conductor, and once stage manager of the Carl ROSA troupe. He was the son of the late Mr. James HOWELL, the famous double-bass player, and was in his fiftieth year.

The death is also announced, on the 8th inst., at the age of sixty-four, of Mr. Emmons HAMLIN, of the Boston firm of MASON and HAMLIN. There is dispute as to who was the inventor of the free reed instrument now known as the American organ, but Mr. HAMLIN was disputedly one of the first introducers and he was the patentee of several valuable improvements.

Herr Ludwig NORMAN died at Stockholm on March 28th, aged fifty-four. He was a pupil of LINDBLAD, HAUPTMAN, MOSCHELES, GADE and SCHUMANN, but since 1858 he has practiced as professor and conductor at Stockholm, He wrote an oratorio, Die Könige in Israel, a sympathy, and other works, and was the husband of madame Norman NÉRUDA, the famous violinist.

The deaths were also announced at Dresden, aged sixty-five, of Aloys TAUSIG, a pianist, and father of the celebrated Carl TAUSIG.

At Berlin, aged eighty, of J.J. SCHNEIDER, professor, organist, and composer of an oratorio, Luther, and of a large number of songs.

At Brussels, aged forty-two, of Mdlle. Alice BERNARDI, the opera singer.

At Paris, of Mdlle Marie DESCHAMPS, the well-known organist.

At Leipsic, aged sixty-eight, of Walter GOETHE, grandson of the poet, the holder of many of his posthumous works, and as a musician pupil of MENDELSSOHN.

And at Windsor, of Mr. Henry BARNBY, bass in the Royal Choir at St. George's Chapel.

Transcribed from The Graphic, 27th November, 1886, page 563, by Bev Edmonds

Our Obituary records the death:--

In her seventy-seventh year, of Susan, Dowager Countess of Hardwicke.

In her seventy-seventh year, of Caroline, Lady BUCKNALL-ESTCOURT, widow of Major-General J. BUCKNALL-ESTCOURT, who died of cholera while serving as Adjutant-General of the Army in the Crimea.

In her forty-ninth year, of Miss Hannah Jane HAVELOCK, second daughter of the heroic Sir Henry HAVELOCK by his marriage with a daughter of the late Dr. MARSHMAN, the well-known Baptist missionary of Serampore.

In his fifty-fourth year, of Sir Francis W. FESTING, who, as a Lieutenant in the Royal Marine Artillery, took part in the naval operations in the Black Sea during the Crimean War, and, as a Lieutenant- Colonel in the army, distinguished himself in the Ashantee War, afterwards, in 1876, being appointed Assistant Adjutant-General of the Royal Marines, and in 1877 an Aide-de-Camp to the Queen.

In his eighty-sixth year, of Mr. BRAMLEY-MOORE, who, in early life commercially connected to Brazil, afterwards settled in Liverpool, and as Chairman of the Liverpool Docks successfully promoted a great enlargement of them, becoming afterwards Mayor of Liverpool, and as a Conservative representing successively Maldon and Lincoln.

In his seventy-fifth year, of Major Samuel ISAAC, who revived the dormant scheme of the Mersey Tunnel, and brought it to a successful issue.

In his seventy-third year, of Sir John HUMPHREYS, Senior Coroner for East Middlesex.

In his eightieth year, of Mr. Thomas PENDERGAST, late H.E.I.C.S., father of Sir Harry PENDERGAST, V.C., of Burmese fame, who celebrated a system of learning languages, based on that of OLLENDORFF, and explained in his work " The Mystery of Languages, " which has gone through four editions.

In his sixty-sixth year, of Mr. George DEVEY, the architect, chiefly eminent for his skill in designing additions to the alterations of many fine old British country houses.

Transcribed from The Graphic, page 562, dated 27th November, 1886, by Bev Edmonds

M. Paul BERT [extract]

Who was appointed last winter by the president of the French Republic resident in Annan and Cochin China, died somewhat unexpectedly of dysentery on the 11th instant at Hanoi. M.Paul BERT belonged to a peasant family, and was born at Auxerre, where his father was an attorney, in 1833. He was educated at the St. Barbe College, in Paris, and at the Ecole Polytechnique, devoting himself to science. M. BERT was a vehement anti-Catholic.

About twenty years ago M. BERT married Miss Josephine CLAYTON, a Scottish lady of considerable linguistic skill. She, her two daughters, and her son-in-law accompanied the late statesman to Tonquin, and are now about to return to France, whither also the body of the deceased will be brought.



Professor F. GUTHRIE, was born in London in 1833, and obtained his scientific training chiefly at Marberg and Heildelberg. As a young man he was assistant in the chemical laboratories of the University of Edinburgh and Owen's College, Manchester: and in 1861 he became Professor of Physics in the Mauritius.

Professor GUTHRIE was a commanding figure in the Physical Society, which held its meetings in his lecture room at South Kensington. In 1882 he married Blanche Gertrude, daughter of ----REYNOLDS, Esq. This lady, who had children by a previous marriage, but none by Dr. GUTHRIE, survives her late husband. A few months back Dr. GUTHRIE was attacked by a serious disease of the throat, to which his death, on the 21st October, at the age of fifty-three, was indirectly due.

^ back to top ^