Commissioned and Warrant Officers|
Order of Seniority
Military or Executive Ranks
- Master and Second Master
- Staff Captains and Commanders, Navigating Lieutenants, Navigating Sub Lieutenants, Navigating Cadets and Navigating Midshipmen
- Mate (became Sub-Lieutenant in 1861)
- Chief Gunner (introduced in 1864)
- Chief Boatswain (introduced in 1864)
- Chief Carpenter (introduced in 1864)
- Volunteer (Cadet) later described as Naval Cadet
- Chief Engineers, Engineer & Assistant Engineer
- Chaplain & Naval Instructor
- Inspectors-General of Hospitals and Fleets, Deputy Inspectors-General of Hospitals and Fleets, Fleet Surgeons, Staff Surgeons, Surgeon and Assistant Surgeons
- Purser, known as Paymaster and Purser in the 1840s and from about 1853 as Paymaster and Assistant Paymaster. Also Paymaster or Assistant Paymaster who may have or is serving a Secretary, usually to a Commodore or Flag Officer.
- Clerk (at times described as Clerk in Charge) and Assistant Clerk.
^ back to top ^